+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Licensing Questions Thread, new build PCs and Windows Licensing Purchase in Technical; Originally Posted by chrisredfield93 Does this mean that for my custom build computer and using an oem windows, that I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisredfield93 View Post
    Does this mean that for my custom build computer and using an oem windows, that I can not upgrade the motherboard or replace it if a onboard fault occurs?
    There's nothing stopping you from upgrading the motherboard, but technically you would need to buy a new Windows license. I am sure MS doesn't care that much about home users transferring OEM licenses between PCs, but schools would be a different matter.

As FN-GM said, if your motherboard was replaced under warranty you would be fine even if it was a different model.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    what if the motherboard is a virtual machine?
    As with most Microsoft licensing, the answer is that it depends.

Licensing Windows 7 for Use with Virtual Machines
    Windows 7 licensing and virtual machines clarified

Customers who purchase Software Assurance on the OS to get downgrade rights also get another option ”the right to run four VMs on their desktop computers as long as they continue to pay SA". Note that use of Windows 7 Enterprise edition, in contrast, is a perpetual right ”customers do not need to remove it from a PC even if they later let their SA subscription lapse".

Like XP Mode, these VMs can be used to run XP in a VM, but the VM entitlement under SA offers more flexibility than XP Mode, which runs on a special Windows 7-only version of Virtual PC.

The four-VM entitlement was also offered with SA on Vista, but with a catch: the OS that hosted the VMs had to be Vista Enterprise; it could not be Windows XP or even Vista Business.

That rule has been relaxed with Windows 7: customers can use any OS for which they have downgrade rights to host the four VMs to which SA entitles them. As a result, a customer with SA on Windows 7 can elect to run Windows XP as the primary OS on the computer while running Vista or Windows 7 in VMs on the machine. (Source)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    ^ more confused than I was.

I guess EES or perpetual select academic plus with VDA license means it's ok.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12