+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, Visual Studio Express on school networks ? in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Visual Studio Express on school networks ?

Does anyone know if we are allowed to install and use the Visual Studio Express (IE free) version onto schools networks ?

It doesn't seem to restrict the use of it in the terms and conditions I've read, but there is a version on the EES / Microsoft Licensing site for which I would have to pay 25 per computer/user (or something like this).

Thank Post
    Do you have an EES or School agreement? If so, you have a free subscription to 'Dreamspark' which provides access to developer tools for staff & students
    https://www.dreamspark.com/

Thank Post
    Yeah, I've signed up to Dreamspark, and some of the students have been using it, but what I was after was installing it onto the schools compters. I'm pretty sure Dreamspark wouldn't cover me for this.

Thank Post
    Here's the blurb from the DreamSpark site ref eligibility - as long as it's for instructional use (not used to run the infrastructure) then you're covered

The DreamSpark program offers annual memberships for educators to get their schools/institutions enrolled. The program has two primary goals:
    1.Give access to Microsoft products and platforms: DreamSpark subscriptions give educators and students access to virtually every Microsoft product and technology, helping ensure they have the right technology choices for all current and future educational opportunities.
    2.Deliver outstanding value: These subscriptions give outstanding value through inexpensive cost of membership, and convenient management of licenses on a per-user basis, removing the complexity of licenses across multiple environments.
    As a member, your school will receive a DreamSpark subscription that includes Microsoft platform, servers and developer tools software. This software may be installed on any number of departmental lab machines (depending on the licensing and courses the school or department offer). The software must be used for instructional and research purposes; it may not be used to run the infrastructure of the department. In addition, the department’s faculty and students may check out or download the software to install on their personal computers.

Thank Post
    Heh, I never read the information on the Dreamspark license, I just passed the serial numbers over to the students that asked for one.

I thought the Dreamspark was just for student and staff use 'at home'. Ah, well, at least I've got a bunch of codes I can use...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread