+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Licensing Questions Thread, EES or not? in Technical; Originally Posted by elsiegee40 Yep, that's it. We argued the case with Microsoft at the Edugeek Microsoft conference in Reading ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Yep, that's it.

We argued the case with Microsoft at the Edugeek Microsoft conference in Reading in February last year... got nowhere, but at least we expressed our feelings.
    Yeah, I remember that 'conversation'. Microsoft had a woman from their licensing division waiting in the wings and shot down any concerns we raised. Basically saying, this is how it is and thats that. The sales guy doing the the demo regarding it obviously stayed tight lipped when she spoke.

Pete

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,655 Times in 2,255 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    in that case 40*110 = 4400 per year.
    Win 7 perpetual is around 30 on a 6yr renewal (480*30)/6= 2400
    Office perpetual is around 30 on a 6yr renewal (480*30)/6= 2400
    Six year refresh cycle, what kind of IT singulaty are you stuck near the event horizon of, they release new ones every 2-3 years and so spread over a reasonable timeframe - keeping up with current versions - it is cheaper to go VL in most cases.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Six year refresh cycle, what kind of IT singulaty are you stuck near the event horizon of, they release new ones every 2-3 years and so spread over a reasonable timeframe - keeping up with current versions - it is cheaper to go VL in most cases.
    Actually it's closer to 9 yrs here. We put XP in 2003 and still use it as it is still supported and runs our applications. We upgrade to Windows 7/8 this year as the support dries up.
    This strategy saves us tens of thousands of pounds in hardware, licensing and training.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,867 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    in that case 40*110 = 4400 per year.
    Win 7 perpetual is around 30 on a 6yr renewal (480*30)/6= 2400
    Office perpetual is around 30 on a 6yr renewal (480*30)/6= 2400
    So, with perpetual you'd be paying 4800 per year equivalent? Plus CALs, plus servers?

Buying outright is fine if you only have a few machines. We have 550 here. That works out at around 57k for Windows, Office, CALS, Server and SQL server.

Or, 8k-ish a year with EES. Making it a 7 year cycle for us to match the same cost, but bearing in mind that not many schools have that sorta money lying around for projects.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    So, with perpetual you'd be paying 4800 per year equivalent? Plus CALs, plus servers?

Buying outright is fine if you only have a few machines. We have 550 here. That works out at around 57k for Windows, Office, CALS, Server and SQL server.

Or, 8k-ish a year with EES. Making it a 7 year cycle for us to match the same cost, but bearing in mind that not many schools have that sorta money lying around for projects.
    It varies from place to place. It makes sense for us - 700 machines the majority are terminal servers. No MSOffice.

Thank Post
    Hi Fiza,

There is a special Microsoft formula(!) for calculating the FTE count as follows:
    Full-time Faculty + (Part-time Faculty / 3) + Full-time Staff + (Part-time Staff /2) = FTE Count.
    Employees such as maintenance, grounds keeping, and cafeteria staff may be excluded from the faculty/staff FTE employee count if they do not use institutional devices.

The Education desktop with Core CAL Suite is around 35 - The Education desktop with Enterprise CAL Suite is around 40

If you have 3 years or more coverage with EES, and you don't wish to renew again or stop using the software, you do have the option of discounted 'buy out' perpetual licenses.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There's a stark difference between how it's worked out in US to the EU though, is the above formula correct for UK?

Thank Post
    <incorrect information posted> Please see comments below.
    Last edited by marksams; 5th April 2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Incorrect information was posted here - please see below.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That formula has never featured with any licensing companies I've dealt with - it is purely 'anyone who uses a PC and is employed for over 200 hours a year' from what I've been told, even by the MS licensing people last Feb at the conference mentioned earlier.

Thank Post
    I stand corrected - thank localzuk - Another (UK) document I have that says "The simplicity of counting Full Time Equivalent (FTE) employees just once per year. In the UK an FTE is someone who works 200+ hours per year." - apologies for the confusion.

Thank Post
    Microsoft just sent me this:

Hi Mark,

Thank you for contacting us.

With regards to your query, I can confirm that your FTE count is made up of Faulty and Staff members where:

Faculty are any employees, contractors and volunteers who teach or perform research for the intuition for more than 200hrs per annum and
    Staff are non-faculty employees, contractors and volunteers who perform work for the instruction for more than 200hrs per annum and use an institution qualified desktop.

As per the attached Microsoft EES Guide employees such as maintenance, grounds keeping, and cafeteria staff may be excluded from the faculty/staff FTE employee count if they do not use institutional devices.

In summary, for your school it will be as follows:

Teachers – I will include all teaching staff - YES

Admin – I will include all admin staff - YES

Cleaners – cleaners work more than 200 hours per year but don’t have access to any PCs and never use then – do I need to include them? - NO

Kitchen – kitchen assistants work more than 200 hours per year but don’t have access to any PCs and never use then – do I need to include them? - NO

Cook – I will include the cook as she has access to a PC and her own staff username/log on. - YES

Midday Assistants – some midday assistants work more than 200 hours per year but none of them have access to any PCs and never use then – do I need to include them? - NO

Teaching Assistants – Teaching assistants work more than 200 hours per year but don’t have their own PC/Laptop or staff user name/log on – they just help the pupils using the computers – do I need to include them? - NO

Hope this information is of help to you.

Thank Post
    What about catering/kitchen staff who use touch screen tills (XP with an exe loaded)? These machines were given to us under a contract to provide cashless catering. They came preloaded with all the software and the OS.
    Are the staff then considered as "users of institution qualified desktop"?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    What about catering/kitchen staff who use touch screen tills (XP with an exe loaded)? These machines were given to us under a contract to provide cashless catering. They came preloaded with all the software and the OS.
    Are the staff then considered as "users of institution qualified desktop"?
    Cashless catering gear doesn't need to be included.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12