+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Licensing Questions Thread, Microsoft Licensing VDI and SCCM in Technical; Project that I hope to be working on soon are deploying Citrix VDI-in a-Box and deploying Forefront Endpoint. We currently ...
  1. #1
    stebo730's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Thank Post
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power

    Microsoft Licensing VDI and SCCM

    Project that I hope to be working on soon are deploying Citrix VDI-in a-Box and deploying Forefront Endpoint.

    We currently have have Microsoft's EES with Core CALs.

    What additional Licensing do I need to deploy VDI, I have been told that I need Enterprise CALs as this will cover everything I am wanting to do and get the most of SCCM. However, I am still unsure and want to do this the cheapest way possible.

    1 - What additional Licenses do I need to deploy VDI over and above EES ?

    2 - Generally what is the price difference between Core and Enterprise CALs

    3 - Anyone know the good companies to get good deals on both Microsoft and Citrix licenses - we are currently with RM for EES?

  2. #2
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Thank Post
    Thanked 340 Times in 287 Posts
    Rep Power
    Our understanding from our EES guys is that the cals that come with EES cover VDI setups (and we use VDI in a box here as well) so there shouldn't be any problems there.

    Can't say about SCCM though.

    We have used Softcat in the past for EES and I can suggest BIST, and Unique Network Solutions, HRC3 for VDI in a box.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    AFAIK VDA licenses (Virtual desktop access) are free with windows clients, but if you want to use non-windows clients you need to buy a VDA license, not sure about whether these are covered in a standard EES package, terminal services licenses are not.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Thank Post
    Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    Hi guys,

    The CALs bundled in the Core CAL Suite (with Edu Desktop - approx. 35) or the Enterprise CAL Suite (with Edu Desktop - approx. 40) do not provide any rights for VDI with VDI-in-a-Box/XenDesktop/VMview etc.

    The rights to connect to a Microsoft Windows Virtual Desktop are granted from any institution-owned device that is covered with active Software Assurance (included with EES). For this to be valid for the Windows 7 Enterprise Upgrade included with EES, an original OEM license is required for the client hardware.

    If a Linux device or Thin Client (or a non-institution-owned device) is used, then a Microsoft VDA license is required.

    Microsoft Terminal Services/Remote Desktop Services (RDS) CALs (not included in the CAL suites) will only cover you for connections to 'hosted shared desktops' and virtual/remote applications using RDS or Citrix XenApp.

    I know that Citrix have done some integration work with XenDesktop and System Centre to manage pooled desktops with the personal vDisk option, but not sure how this compares to VDI-in-a-Box at this time. I'd just try and work out what makes the most sense for you - i.e. use SCCM for updates/FEP vs. the master VM image.

+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Microsoft goes shopping and buys DesktopStandard
    By ajbritton in forum IT News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16th September 2007, 08:44 PM
  2. Microsoft Licensing in a nutshell?
    By park_bench in forum Windows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18th June 2007, 01:08 PM
  3. Microsoft Licensing
    By Simcfc73 in forum Windows
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17th April 2007, 02:49 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16th February 2006, 08:40 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts