+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, Systems Center suite 2012 licensing in Technical; I've got some questions relating to licensing the forthcoming systems center 2012 suite of products and EES. I think it's ...

Thank Post

Systems Center suite 2012 licensing

I've got some questions relating to licensing the forthcoming systems center 2012 suite of products and EES.

I think it's the case that the EES desktopplatform org wide SKU includes Enterprise CALs which cover management
    of client devices for things like SCCM, SCOM, Forefront.

So assuming desktop 'clients' are covered that way ? Is it the case the actual install of the systems center server products does not require licensing ?
    So if you have virtualized SCCM, SCOM management servers and a dedicated DPM 2012 box they don't require VLK under EES ?

It's only when you want to manage w2k8 servers as 'clients' using the management servers that you need to purchase the Standard or Datacenter ML's ?
    How does that work for things like DPM agents in a virtual/physical environment and using SCVMM 2012 to create VM's under hyper-v ?

Sorry for sounding hopelessly confused.

Thank Post
    I have been asking my license provider the same and not getting a lot of information back

Thank Post
    If you are managing a server, be it SCOM, SCVMM etc, it will need one of the SC2012 packs, be it Datacenter or other. From what I can see, virtual server hosts will probably want DC, and normal servers, the standard.

I 'think', from my conversations, that the packs cover installing management servers AND all SQL technology, reasonably needed for that purpose.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAL's for the 'normal' clients are covered in the Enterprise CAL pack at the moment.

This may change when 2012 actually is released, but I can't see it being much different, you pay for the Enterprise CAL pack, you get Enterprise CALs!

All licensing at the moment covers the 2007-2010 versions of SC, as SC2012 is only RC at the moment.

Thanks

James
    Last edited by CAWJames; 15th March 2012 at 10:56 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAWJames View Post
    If you are managing a server, be it SCOM, SCVMM etc, it will need one of the SC2012 packs, be it Datacenter or other. From what I can see, virtual server hosts will probably want DC, and normal servers, the standard.

I 'think', from my conversations, that the packs cover installing management servers AND all SQL technology, reasonably needed for that purpose.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAL's for the 'normal' clients are covered in the Enterprise CAL pack at the moment.

This may change when 2012 actually is released, but I can't see it being much different, you pay for the Enterprise CAL pack, you get Enterprise CALs!

All licensing at the moment covers the 2007-2010 versions of SC, as SC2012 is only RC at the moment.

Thanks

James
    thanks for the response. The first part is kind of like what i thought, but i am a bit confused by some of the terminology used.

I'd guess that depending on scale quite a lot of people would have a dedicated 'management' server which has the resources to run SCOM, SCCM, probably virtualized, plus a dedicated box to do DPM. If those two systems center servers are 'managing' a seperate virtual server with general hyper-v hosts (AD, DHCP, File+Print etc) does that mean you buy ONE management license only. Or do you have to license all three boxes, a datacenter license for the 'general' hyper-v host, a datacenter license for your systems center management servers - because it might be running more than 2 OSE's running Systems center servers, and a standard management license for the DPM box ?

Thank Post
    It doesn't matter if its a management server or a managed server. You buy the licence that covers the instances/processors. Minimal VM's - Standard, More than the prescribed - Datacenter.

Server licenses for the management servers are implied in the ML's.

As far as I can work out anyway!

Thanks

James

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread