+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, Clarification on Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Virtual licenses in Technical; Hi, It's my understanding that on Server 2008 R2 Enterprise you are licenced to run 4 virtual machines. Am I ...

Thank Post

Clarification on Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Virtual licenses

Hi,

It's my understanding that on Server 2008 R2 Enterprise you are licenced to run 4 virtual machines. Am I correct in assuming that the virtual machines have to be on the same physical host? For example if I have two physical servers (A and B) both with Server 2008 R2 Enterprise licenses I can install 4 virtual servers on A and 4 on B. I can't however install 2 on A and 6 on B.

In a nutshell I currently have server A which hosts 4 virtual machines and server B which is my backup server and doesn't host any virtual machines. If I want to add another virtual server to host A I will have to buy another license, I can't use the license from server B.

Is this correct?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    AFAIK you are correct. If you want to run more than 4 on one machine you need the Datacenter licence (which is pretty cheap anyway for schools)

Thank Post
    Does it have to be a Datacentre license though? Could I not just buy a third Enterprise license? So I'd have two physical servers and three licenses, using two licenses on Server A to give me 8 virtual machines?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambo_C View Post
    Does it have to be a Datacentre license though? Could I not just buy a third Enterprise license? So I'd have two physical servers and three licenses, using two licenses on Server A to give me 8 virtual machines?
    I don't believe so, no, although there are more expert eyes around here than mine on the issue. Buying a third licence would just allow you to install a third physical server with that licence.

Datacenter isn't much more than enterprise on educational pricing anyway - the only difference is that you licence it per socket, so if Server A is dual-processor (not dual-core, two physical CPUs) you have to get two licences. If it's only single socket though I think the price is about the same.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Enterprise license only allows you to run 4 on a single physical box, and you can only apply one license to a physical box at a time. So, to have more than 4, you'd need a datacenter license.

Also, you really want datacenter licenses anyway - as you aren't allowed to move virtual machines between hosts with enterprise from what I remember.

Thank Post

7. Thanks to Jobos from:

localzuk (16th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    Didn't expect this:
    Enterprise Edition is licensed by server, not per processor, but more than one Enterprise Edition license may be assigned to a server to have the rights to run more than four instances of Windows Server. For example, one license for Enterprise Edition for a one-processor server running four instances of Windows Server in a virtual OSE is slightly less expensive than one Datacenter processor license. And, two licenses for Enterprise Edition for a two-processor server running eight instances of Windows Server in a virtual OSE is slightly less expensive than two processor licenses for Datacenter Edition.
    We was wrong!

9. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

localzuk (16th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting! The reseller that told me this was wrong too then!

However, the comment about pricing might not ring true for EES/Schools Agreement pricing. From what I remember, the pricing was only a little more expensive for a Datacentre license compared to an Enterprise one under EES.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Interesting! The reseller that told me this was wrong too then!

However, the comment about pricing might not ring true for EES/Schools Agreement pricing. From what I remember, the pricing was only a little more expensive for a Datacentre license compared to an Enterprise one under EES.
    They're about equivalent (pennies different iirc), except that DC is per-CPU, not per-Server, so if it's a dual-socket server the OP is asking about (with both sockets filled) then two Datacentre licences would be needed as opposed to just the one extra Enterprise licence. Licensing from scratch, you'd be daft not to go with the DC licence, but in this case, and if the server will never grow beyond 8 VMs, one extra Enterprise might be cheaper.

Unless it's a one socket server and will stay that way, in which case you may as well go DC. If that makes sense.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread