+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, Microsoft volume licensing & Home use program question. in Technical; I'm right in thinking that if we have a SITE volume license (brand new one) and have the MSHUP (MS ...

Thank Post

Microsoft volume licensing & Home use program question.

I'm right in thinking that if we have a SITE volume license (brand new one) and have the MSHUP (MS Home use program) benefit, teachers will need to purchase a copy of Office 2010 from the MSHUP site at a highly discounted price to be able to use on a personal machine at home?

Do they have to purchase a license for a school owned laptop for home use?

Im confused how... i've read to may Microsoft T&C agreements now LOL

in the past, office 03 was just installed on school owned laptops for them to take home...... not personal computers..... but i'm looking at all the software terms now.

thx

Thank Post
    I believe if the school owned laptop is primarily used for work purspoes then it should be covered by your school license, and lets face it it should be primarily used for school purposes.

They is some nice grey area wording somewhere from Microsoft which makes it as clear as mud for you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Blog Entries
    AFAIK, and the way I'm working it, school equipment is covered by the school licence. Personal equipment requires a HUP purchase and (as it turns out) allows installation on up to two personal machines. The HUP licence is directly between the staff member and Microsoft so that when they leave your employment, the licence is still valid and they can continue to use it.

Think of it this way: when we had Laptops for Teachers before, did you make them buy their own copy of Office, or did you just install the school's licenced copy?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Personal equipment requires a HUP purchase and (as it turns out) allows installation on up to two personal machines. The HUP licence is directly between the staff member and Microsoft so that when they leave your employment, the licence is still valid and they can continue to use it.
    Sorry I know this is an old thread but @sonofsanta is this correct?

I thought if they left your employment then they were no longer licenced and had to remove the software. Also if the School stopped using their agreement then the HUP became invalid and all users had to uninstall it? Or does this just apply to EES agreements?
    I also read in the T&Cs that participation in the HUP may have tax implications? Is this something to consider?
    Last edited by fiza; 27th July 2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: additional info

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Sorry I know this is an old thread but @sonofsanta is this correct?

I thought if they left your employment then they were no longer licenced and had to remove the software. Also if the School stopped using their agreement then the HUP became invalid and all users had to uninstall it?
    The HUP agreement is between the user and MS. They should stop using it when the leave employment (and of course they will...). If the school stops their agreement it should not affect home use (as I understand it) as the agreement was between MS and the end user. But, if the small print does house such a clause, it's up to MS to notify the end user.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    The HUP agreement is between the user and MS. They should stop using it when the leave employment (and of course they will...). If the school stops their agreement it should not affect home use (as I understand it) as the agreement was between MS and the end user. But, if the small print does house such a clause, it's up to MS to notify the end user.
    Thats what I thought.
    Thousands of NHS staff stripped of Microsoft Office | Enterprise | News | PC Pro

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As with all things related to MS licensing, I have no idea. I was sure I'd read that when sorting out the HUP stuff a year ago, but it has been a long year so it could well be wrong, and probably is. Apologies.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread