+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, Ranger Licensing in Technical; When we had our new ICT Suite installed it came with 40 licenses for Ranger Primary. There are 33 machines ...
    Bev

Thank Post

Ranger Licensing

When we had our new ICT Suite installed it came with 40 licenses for Ranger Primary. There are 33 machines in the Suite, and over the last year I've added 7 more staff machines in classrooms. I want to add 2 further staff machines taking the total upto 42, however, I am now out of licenses.

I contacted Stone about buying 2 more licenses, and they have come back with a quote for 700.
    This comprises an upgrade to Ranger Remote, upgrade to Ranger Primary and 10 more licenses.

We have no budget for 700, nor do we want to upgrade. I'm quite happy with the Ranger that have and can't justify spending the time on the upgrade, nor the cash for functionality we don't need or want.

All I need to use the Ranger for on these new machines is to pick up the desktops when the staff login.
    Is there anyway around this?

Bev

Thank Post
    Just to clairfy, I'm not trying to avoid licensing. I'd just like to either buy 2 licenses for a reasonable price, or set up the new machines to pick up their desktops without using ranger at all.

Thank Post
    Hiya,

I have been working with Ranger for a number of years and have learnt how this game goes....

That is very extreme what you have been quoted. You can buy the system all over again for that price!

Have you been paying the Ranger Upgrade contract every year? Its about 330 I think! If you haven't... then Ranger back date this when you want to buy new licences and force you to upgrade. So that means you pay for the new licences and a upgrade protection. I hate how they do that and I think its a rip off!

Another thing is that you can only buy Licecnes in packs of 10 with Ranger... Another money making Scheme! Don't get me wrong their products are great in the right places but I don't agree with how they do things regarding money making!

I don't know why your reseller has quoted you for Ranger Primary as well as you only need the Ranger Remote Control.. its all separate! Sounds a bit funny to me! I used to be a Ranger Reseller for about 4 years.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 25th January 2012 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Unauthorised Advertising

Bev

Thank Post
    I think it's the other way around, we don't need the remote but we do need the Primary?

My understanding was the Remote was the classroom control software that we use in the ICT suite to view what the students are doing and lock their machines. I don't need that on the staff machines. All I really need is the bit that controls user profiles. (Maybe it does other useful stuff but none that I am aware off)

I haven't been paying for upgrade protection as I don't want to upgrade.

Thank Post
    Ahh sorry I have misread your post..

Indeed Ranger Primary you just need Licence's for. That makes things easier! You can just buy the 10 Licence pack and get a new Key code from Ranger. Shouldn't cost 700 thats for sure!!

Sounds to me like Stone are trying to take you for a ride.. Ranger Remote is an optional purchase not a must if you upgrade your licences!
    Last edited by vikpaw; 25th January 2012 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Unauthorised Advertising

Bev

Thank Post
    The quote is

120 for Ranger Remote
    220 to upgrade the old 40 licenses
    295 for 10 more licenses.

So, would be 515 for 10 more licenses- does that seeem right?

Thank Post
    I just wanted to clear this up. I do not work for a big company reselling this product. I am just a IT Tech in a School and thought I could help out. Didn't mean any harm.

Bev

Thank Post
    No harm as far as I can see Dan, thanks for responding. I've had absolutely no help from anyone else.

Thank Post
    It's been a long time since I paid any money to Ranger, but you definitely don't need "Remote Control" (though maybe they're making it compulsory).

I seem to remember that they do try to sting you for any lapse in cover as Dan says, but can't remember if it's compulsory to upgrade to the latest version.

I'd look into using a GPO to do the desktop redirection and cut out Ranger, or try contacting them directly to query the necessity to upgrade. I have vague memories of them being quite helpful.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread