+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, EES and RDP Cal's in Technical; With the new EES program and Terminal Server Cal's I'm guessing now its essentially Unlimited user cal's? So I can ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts

EES and RDP Cal's

With the new EES program and Terminal Server Cal's I'm guessing now its essentially Unlimited user cal's? So I can setup an Terminal Server in school that students can connect to from there own personal devices?

previously it would have been limited to the number of cal's purchased but now its on Staff numbers would the above work?

Or would I need an External Connector License (although these machines will be in school)?

Just thinking I can setup for our Sixth Formers to have RDP access to a Terminal Server from there own personal Devices in the common room.

Thank Post
    Hi glennda, the number of Terminal Services Client Access Licenses (now purchased as Remote Desktop Services CALs) will be aligned to the your FTE count and is valid for all students connecting from their personal devices. There is no need to purchase an external connector license.

It is also perfectly valid to transition between per-device CALs to per-User CALs when Software Assurance comes up for renewal, and the transition to EES facilitates this. You can find confirmation that all connections to school systems by students (and parents) are now licensed by the FTE count of CALs that you have purchased at Microsoft UK Education - Software Licensing - Licences for Schools

There are a couple of license grants that mean you don’t need any external connector licenses for parents, prospective students, alumni (student and faculty/staff) or collaborating academic or government institutions...

"In support of the government’s Online Reporting policy and targets, Microsoft has extended the coverage of student licences in appropriate circumstances to cover their parents/guardians.
    Under Select Licence, Open Licence and School Agreement and Enrolment for Education Solutions a CAL is no longer required for the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of licensed student users."

Download the free licence grant document

"Additionally, for certain CAL options under the School Agreement and Enrolment for Education Solutions, External Connector Licences are now included for prospective students, alumni, and students and faculty of collaborating institutions."
    Download the free licence grant document

3. 2 Thanks to marksams:

glennda (19th January 2012), Willott (6th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    That's Excellent thanks!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are you 100% that RDS CALS purchase under an FTE count also cover student own devices?

The reason I'm asking is over the next year we'll be approaching a matching number of RDS owned CALs compared to our EES FTE count, but that doesn't take into account student owned devices which we don't do now because of the CAL cost. That Licence Document grant you link to mentions the purchase of Student CALs which are (were) a seperate purcahse to your FTE total and were based on your student total, or that's what I was lead to believe?

Thank Post
    Hi Cache, yes (I checked with Microsoft some time ago), and I just checked with Microsoft again to be 110% sure. The FTE count of CALs assumes 'per user' CALs for the organisation, not 'per device', so it doesn't matter which devices, or how many devices, students and teachers use.

More info:

There are 8-10 different SKUs for RDS CALs depending on whether the CALs are purchased according to the FTE count ('enterprise-wide/Ent') or department (termed 'additional product/AP'), different price bands (+/- 1000 FTEs) and 'per user'/'per device'. Just make sure the CALs you purchase are enterprise-wide per user CALs! 'Ent' CALs are always cheaper then 'AP' CALs as you buy a larger amount re: FTE count.

Note: It may make sense to purchase 'per device' 'AP' CALs if you are only licensing a department, and you have more users than devices within that department, e.g. they share a small number of PCs with access to RDS.

There is of course the 'student option' under EES which you can take advantage of to provide software on student-owned laptops if you wish. I found in an old spreadsheet (Nov 2011) that is was possible to purchase RDS CALs as a student option - I challenged Microsoft on this, but they couldn't find the SKUs in their system, so we assumed they have been removed and agreed they were irrelevent anyway.

7. Thanks to marksams from:

Cache (20th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Wow, in that case I can push forward with a lot more things then I'd hoped to then.

I was always working on the assumption that it covered staff and if you assumed a per device model then you were fine, this puts a different slant on it.

Thanks for the reply.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to sound thick, but licensing is something that i struggle with. If you have EES in plain english what is the extra benefit please?

Sorry to sound to dumb

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Sorry to sound thick, but licensing is something that i struggle with. If you have EES in plain english what is the extra benefit please?

Sorry to sound to dumb
    you can install win7 and / or office 2010 on any equipment owned by the school and its covered

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Noooo sorry i should have said i mean relating to RDS CALs

Thank Post
    Slighlty confused....

Beginning of 2011 we were told that RDS Cals were not included in the EES. Do we have to buy them separately (similar to Visio, Project etc) - if so how much are people paying for it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Noooo sorry i should have said i mean relating to RDS CALs
    Well this is why I questioned it.

I was under the impression if you could licence your RDS CALs in the same way, so if you had more RDS Clients then staff, then it might work out a cheaper way to licence them. I also thought that if you were to licence students devices for RDS then you would purchase the student option.

What @marksams is saying, if I've got it correct, is if you licence your RDS CALs under the EES agreement and then allowed students to bring in their own devices because EES can cover either per user or per device licences and covers the entire establishment, if you were to assume per user rights, this would cover staff and students, allowing students to use their own devices without any additional licencing requirement. So in our case, for our 55 FTE, if we were to do this, the 55 RDS EES licences we purchased would cover all our staff and all students for the use of any RDS server. Also, under the two Microsoft grants he posted, in theory it would cover external use also because you have purchased user CALs for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by balticstar View Post
    Slighlty confused....

Beginning of 2011 we were told that RDS Cals were not included in the EES. Do we have to buy them separately (similar to Visio, Project etc) - if so how much are people paying for it?
    It isn't included in the Core CAL pack or the education desktop pack, but there isn't anything to stop you licence it similar to Viso as a seperate addon to your EES agreement, but I have no idea on price.
    Last edited by Cache; 21st January 2012 at 01:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ah i see, so you can give every student an RDS CAL but you dont have to purchase one for them all? Under EES you would purchase a licence for every staff member if i am right?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ah i see, so you can give every student an RDS CAL but you dont have to purchase one for them all? Under EES you would purchase a licence for every staff member if i am right?

Thanks
    I think so (that's how I understand it now)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post

Or would I need an External Connector License (although these machines will be in school)?
    maybe someone could clarify, but i thought such external connector licenses applied in situations where you wanted to give external
    users ie non-employees like customers, b2b partners, contractors and the like secure access to services that you intend to publish. NOT actual employees/staff of your org accessing services from outside the firewall, ie from home ?

or does external in the case of the external connector license (whether in or out of the scope of this discussion regarding EES licensing)
    for rds literally mean access by ANY user accessing the service when accessible over the web i.e via some sort of SSL gateway or reverse proxy manner over the web, like when a sharepoint intranet or terminal services is made 'externally' available ?

Thank Post
    I'm still not 100% clear and confident about RDS and OVS-ES (or ESS)

When I have queried regarding RDS CALS for future use with Remote Apps etc, I was advised that:

Each member of Staff (i.e. FTE count) would require 6VC-01518 (RDS User CAL) and if we opened it up to our Students, each would require 6VC-01521 (RDS User CAL for Students Only).
    This is in addition to the Desktop Education with Enterprise CAL (OVS-ES/ESS) Agreement.

Why are things so difficult getting clarification?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast