+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Licensing Questions Thread, EES and RDP Cal's in Technical; With you here. I've been advised similarly. Each person needing access to RDS would need an RDS User CAL. If ...

Thank Post
    With you here. I've been advised similarly.
    Each person needing access to RDS would need an RDS User CAL. If you get RDS User CALs * FTE Count this would cover all staff and students; but only for internal user (i.e. on site). External use would require additional RDS User CALs, or an external connector license (whichever is more cost effective).

Confused is an understatement.

Thank Post
    Hi all, I'm seeking further written clarification on this topic after being contacted by another Microsoft department, and I'll report back here with full details in the next day or two!

3. Thanks to marksams from:

MYK-IT (26th January 2012)

Thank Post
    I was told that RDS User CAL x FTE Count would only cover Staff and I would have to add the Student Licences on for them to access.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marksams View Post
    Hi all, I'm seeking further written clarification on this topic after being contacted by another Microsoft department, and I'll report back here with full details in the next day or two!

That would be most appreciated.
    Clarification of what will happen with SCVMM and SCDPM on OVS-ES/ESS when System Centre 2012 is released would also be most appreciated.
    All I know is that current versions of SCVMM and SCDPM will not available with Software Assurance from 1st February 2012, and I want to get our OVS-ES setup up pronto.

Thank Post
    I've got a PDF that should answer your questions @MYK-IT, i'll email it you know. I can't seem to attach it

7. Thanks to Millgate from:

MYK-IT (26th January 2012)

Thank Post
    RDP CAL's arn't included in the core CAL pack though? at 10 is each why would you include them in your EES and pay this each year when for that amount you can buy perpetual?

Steve

Thank Post
    They aren't included in the Core CAL suite, no. But they're not 10 more like 2. Also, as port of EES they're covered by software assurance.

Matt

Thank Post
    According to the document sent by Millgate; (and I've read it correctly!)

A current SCVMM with SA would get 1x System Centre 2012 Datacentre Server ML
    and a current SCDPM with SA would get System Centre 2012 Client Management Suite Client ML license for each qualifying product Client ML

erm, I assume that would mean we would get the new revisions as part of the SA at no extra cost/additional licenses

Thank Post
    That documents comes straight from Microsoft themselves so it will be right (assuming they know their own products)

Thank Post
    Well after a couple of emails and a long conversation with a Microsoft representative, we reached the following conclusion about RDS CALs:

There are a couple of ways to be legally covered by Microsoft RDS CALs, and the EES program rules/available SKUs do not resolve the ambiguity.

In the original post in the thread, glennda asks for the correct way to license RDS/remote desktop connections from sixth formers with their own laptops. It was assumed RDS was already an organisation-wide requirement.

Option 1 – more expensive:
    Buy part code 6VC-01516 for your FTE Count – This is an enterprise-wide per device RDS CAL for organisations with less than 1000 user FTEs. Per device CALs assume that all shared PCs within the organisation are licensed for RDS connections.

Because you purchased per-device CALs for all school PCs, you now need to purchase additional CALs for either your students (per user) or their student devices (per device). There is still a further decision about whether to choose ‘Additional Product’ CALs (i.e. department CALs) or Student CALs.

As the students are extremely unlikely to share their own laptops, and may have more than one device, it makes sense to license the students per-user.

At this point it’s important to note that the ‘Student Option’ under EES has qualifying requirements such as a ‘student FTE’ count of 5 or more, and that you must license a desktop platform product according to your ‘student FTE’ count. However, I double-checked with Microsoft that you do not need to meet these requirements in this example. The ‘Student Option’ is designed for desktop platform products that can be used at home and in school and is not a pre-requisite to purchasing a student-specific CAL for RDS.

The detail is important because although per device/per user CALs are the same cost, the student-specific CALs (per device or per user) are approx. two thirds cheaper than ‘Additional Product’ CALs and nearly 50% cheaper than ‘Enterprise-wide’ CALs.

Therefore (in this example) in addition to 6VC-01516 - enterprise-wide per device RDS CALs, it make sense to purchase 6VC-01521 - Student per user RDS CALs for the sixth formers.

Option 2 – less expensive:

Buy part code 6VC-01518 for your FTE Count – This is an enterprise-wide per user RDS CAL for organisations with less than 1000 user FTEs. Per user CALs assume that all users (including teachers and students) within the organisation are licensed for RDS connections.

Note – there is no price difference between per user or per-device CALs.

Further information: Here is excerpt from the EES program guide which may help guide your decision:

Your students can also use the licensed product on institution-owned or leased devices located in classrooms or open access labs within your defined organization. To license your students to run products on a device the student either personally owns or is institution-owned and is assigned to an individual student for their exclusive use, you may enroll in the Student Option (see The Student Option).

It seems to me that the above statement applies to device-based licensing, and assumes installation of desktop platform products onto student devices. There was no objection from the Microsoft representative I spoke to about the per-user option.

Thank Post
    And MS Office?

Thank Post
    Hi DMcCoy - MS Office is quite straightforward as a device-based license and qualifying desktop platform product for the 'Student Option'. In this scenario (just the sixth formers with their own devices) you can define the organisation for the Student Option as the sixth form department. It can also be defined otherwise if needed, e.g. multiple departments or locations or the entire institution. However you define your student organisation, you must have an FTE Student count of 5 or more - using the formula 'Full Time Students' + 'Part Time Students divided by 3'.

There are four part codes for MS Office with the student option - The cheapest applies a discount when licensing 3 desktop platform products for the students. There is the standard price for MS Office as the sole desktop platform product, and then there are two more part codes that also apply a year 1 discount for converting existing perpetual licenses into EES.
    Last edited by marksams; 6th February 2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: updated following more conversations with MS

Thank Post
    We are just renewing our ESS, i am still confused with the Microsoft Office licensing part. I have been told that staff are covered by the agreement to use Office on the Terminal box, but not students, and i need to add student office licences for every student accessing office on it. Is this correct? Sounds like its going to get expensive.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    We are just renewing our ESS, i am still confused with the Microsoft Office licensing part. I have been told that staff are covered by the agreement to use Office on the Terminal box, but not students, and i need to add student office licences for every student accessing office on it. Is this correct? Sounds like its going to get expensive.
    If they are using internally then the FTE count should be ok I beleive - I think you might need the PDF that @Millgate was talking about.

Thank Post
    My system center datasheet? Drop me an email if you want it and i'll send it over to you

Cheers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12