+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40
Licensing Questions Thread, Microsoft "ESS Licensing" - who is using it and why? in Technical; Originally Posted by elsiegee40 That's wrong @ timbo343 Part time staff work 200 hours or less PER YEAR. (Roughly 6 ...
  1. #16
    timbo343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leeds/York area, North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,942
    Thank Post
    277
    Thanked 261 Times in 188 Posts
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    That's wrong @timbo343

    Part time staff work 200 hours or less PER YEAR. (Roughly 6 hours per week term time only) See here

    I was on 20 hours and counted as full time by Microsoft's definitions. EES works out very expensive for smaller schools, especially for those with many part-time staff to cover specialisms like independent prep schools.
    Sorry... it was back in July when we changed over, but i have changed it on here now, ooops.

  2. #17
    Pottsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nottinghamsire
    Posts
    758
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 52 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    29
    ESS seems easy to manage but when I last looked it cost a lot more. You are basically buying all your licences every year. Which can work out cheaper on upgrade years but the way I look at is in none upgrade years like between 2007 and 2010 we would pay zero or a small amount for new machines, far less than ESS. I guess its not the same situation for everyone.

  3. #18

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,526
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    ESS seems easy to manage but when I last looked it cost a lot more. You are basically buying all your licences every year. Which can work out cheaper on upgrade years but the way I look at is in none upgrade years like between 2007 and 2010 we would pay zero or a small amount for new machines, far less than ESS. I guess its not the same situation for everyone.
    It really depends on how often you upgrade, and the fact that your costs are peaking every few years rather than being spread out evenly over multiple years.

  4. #19

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    4,820
    Thank Post
    840
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 959 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    602
    I switched over from perpetual licenses to EES last summer, because:
    * we were about to upgrade to Office 2010 at the request of the Head of Curriculum ICT. This is about 35ish per PC; 35 x 400 = 14k
    * we're going Win7 over this coming summer, at about 30 a machine, x 400 = 12k
    * with 112 staff, our EES cost works out about 4.5k iirc

    So it balances out at about the 6 year mark - at which point we'll likely be upgrading one or the other anyway. In that time we'll have benefited from the Home Use Program, FEP (saving us 2k pa on AV), TechNet and Online Exchange Forefront and Office 365... and above all, peace of mind that the licensing is ok.

  5. #20
    Admiral208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bridgwater
    Posts
    719
    Thank Post
    176
    Thanked 63 Times in 55 Posts
    Rep Power
    39
    We are a BSF school about to move accross in sept this year. We to are discussing what we want to do with regards for licensing. A few interesting points were brought up about this.

    - yes you can buy 3 years worth of licensing at a time but as you have already mentioned, what happens in three years when there is not as much BSF money to spend.
    - If you choose the EES route, if after the deal finishes you dont want it any more, you have to buy yourself out of the deal. I think its about a years payment.
    - If like us, you are having a managed service, does the contract include upgrading machines? Its pointless to have the option to upgrade to the latest software if the company wont do it for the life of the managed service.

    In the end, it was better for us to buy licenses for the machines individually.
    Last edited by Admiral208; 12th January 2012 at 03:48 PM.

  6. #21
    Gibson335's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    929
    Thank Post
    257
    Thanked 133 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    79
    This may be the best thing Microsoft have done for education.

    It does depend on how many clients you have, how often you plan to upgrade/migrate, and what you are currently running regards OS and Office. Over the next 10 years we will save tens of thousands, even more if Security Essentials replaced Sophos when the current deal expires. If you're already on Win 7 and Office 2010 then you are unlikely to save as much, but it may still be beneficial depending on those other numbers.

    Whilst it's not impossible that Microsoft would simply end EES, I can't see that happening within the next decade and they could well risk losing custom altogether if they did at any point now that it's been established. As for cost - well, yes it may increase a little after the first 3 years, but if you look at the Schools Agreement, those costs fell considerably. I don't think MS are lulling us into a false sense of security here.

  7. #22


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyJF View Post
    Over the next 10 years we will save tens of thousands, even more if Security Essentials replaced Sophos when the current deal expires. If you're already on Win 7 and Office 2010 then you are unlikely to save as much, but it may still be beneficial depending on those other numbers.
    This really is horses for courses, over 10 years we'll save tens of thousands by NOT using EES.
    It's something each individual school needs to weigh up against projected hardware budgets.

  8. #23
    Gibson335's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    929
    Thank Post
    257
    Thanked 133 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    This really is horses for courses, over 10 years we'll save tens of thousands by NOT using EES.
    It's something each individual school needs to weigh up against projected hardware budgets.
    Ultimately, licensing is no different from any other purchase - you look ahead and you grab the best deal you can.

  9. #24
    timbo343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leeds/York area, North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,942
    Thank Post
    277
    Thanked 261 Times in 188 Posts
    Rep Power
    114
    Also do your home work and work out bought licenses over rented, thats all i did and thought that the EES is the best option as we initially had a schools agreement in place. Also the desktop package allows you to buy a machine with windows7 home and upgrade to pro or enterprise.

  10. #25

    Millgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,460
    Thank Post
    451
    Thanked 362 Times in 244 Posts
    Rep Power
    136
    EES is brilliant in most cases. I have only come across one or two schools that it doesn't make sense for. I've dealt with them since they cam out so if you have any questions or need any quotes, just let me know

  11. #26

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,640
    Thank Post
    1,774
    Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,595 Posts
    Rep Power
    767
    Quote Originally Posted by Millgate View Post
    EES is brilliant in most cases. I have only come across one or two schools that it doesn't make sense for. I've dealt with them since they cam out so if you have any questions or need any quotes, just let me know
    At the Microsoft conference back in February, @Millgate , there was a primary schools breakaway session where people like me, @witch and @AngryTechnician gave Microsoft a hard time. (There were others, but we were probably most vocal )

    It does not not suit smaller schools because the ratio of Microsoft definition FTE staff to the number of PCs is too small. In our case we employ more staff on 200 hours per year than we have computers in school!

    Those selling EES need to make sure that schools understand that most of their part-time staff are full-time in Microsoft's rules.

  12. #27

    Millgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,460
    Thank Post
    451
    Thanked 362 Times in 244 Posts
    Rep Power
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    At the Microsoft conference back in February, @Millgate , there was a primary schools breakaway session where people like me, @witch and @AngryTechnician gave Microsoft a hard time. (There were others, but we were probably most vocal )

    It does not not suit smaller schools because the ratio of Microsoft definition FTE staff to the number of PCs is too small. In our case we employ more staff on 200 hours per year than we have computers in school!

    Those selling EES need to make sure that schools understand that most of their part-time staff are full-time in Microsoft's rules.
    I couldn't agree more. Every time someone asks for ees I always go through the options with them. Majority of the time though, it works out for the best. I have Primaries, secondaries etc using ees and are very happy and I wouldnt recommend it unless it was gong to benefit the school.

    From a sales point of view, there's no difference between selling ees and anything else. We don't get more "points" or a pat on the back. Even with hardware, I don't recommend it unless its beneficial. Happy clients make the job a lot better

  13. #28
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,648
    Thank Post
    164
    Thanked 217 Times in 200 Posts
    Rep Power
    66
    EES with Software Assurance \ Enterprise CALs = win

    If you factor in the extras you get with it that can replace other systems (anti-spam, AV etc) it looks even better value plus you're always as close to the cutting edge of new releases as you wish to be!

  14. #29
    moriartythemundane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    22
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Well guys you have all come up trumps again and I have decided that in todays meeting I will, on balance, recommend we go down the ESS front. The maths for our establishment seems to add up in favour of ESS, I just need to convince SLT and Capita that that is what we need. I think Capita are on my wavelength!??!
    Thanks to all who responded... have a good week!
    Moriarty...

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    914
    Thank Post
    98
    Thanked 184 Times in 159 Posts
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by moriartythemundane View Post
    Well guys you have all come up trumps again and I have decided that in todays meeting I will, on balance, recommend we go down the ESS front. The maths for our establishment seems to add up in favour of ESS, I just need to convince SLT and Capita that that is what we need. I think Capita are on my wavelength!??!
    Thanks to all who responded... have a good week!
    Moriarty...
    Ouch, so you can't shop around for the EES you have to go through Capita to do it all?

    Had forgot the bit where you said you were BSF and in contract with them!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Who is using what?
    By speckytecky in forum Office Software
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26th October 2011, 07:42 PM
  2. Skype. Which schools use it and why
    By Dos_Box in forum General Chat
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 22nd March 2011, 08:36 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 27th January 2009, 07:24 PM
  4. Is there a way to see who is using SIMS?
    By sidewinder in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 14th November 2007, 10:23 AM
  5. Who is using Vista at school?
    By joem in forum Windows Vista
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 3rd July 2007, 09:48 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •