+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, Conversion to Academy & LEA Licensing Questions in Technical; Hi We are planning on becoming a Academy in September 2012, and I was wondering who else has done this ...

Thank Post

Conversion to Academy & LEA Licensing Questions

Hi

We are planning on becoming a Academy in September 2012, and I was wondering who else has done this already.

What happens to the cost of the Broadband?
    How much does it increase by?
    What services are included? - All of them? Emails, Moodle, Sophos etc (Although I have already recommended bringing Exchange inhouse as the LEA won't allow Exchange features)

I read somewhere that the school needs to repurchase SIMs licenses direct from Capita, how much more are they and are they a lot more expensive?

What happens to Schools Cash Office?

Can anyone else support SIMs and SCO?

Just want to make some recommedations if need be, ie Move Moodle in-house, New Anti-Virus - Microsoft One Perhaps (Any Views?), Change Broadband to someone else etc

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenmcginnis View Post
    I read somewhere that the school needs to repurchase SIMs licenses direct from Capita, how much more are they and are they a lot more expensive?
    You will need to buy direct from Capita. The cost depends on how many pupils you have and what modules you use. It will be significantly more expensive.

You can get SIMS support from whoever and wherever you choose.

Thank Post
    You will not necessarily need to buy a new license from Capita, don't telling untrues on the forum creese.

If your school has at any previous time had a SIMS license with your School name on it then you will not need to buy a new license. If your school has only every used SIMS as part of the LEA buying SIMS and the schools contributing then you will need to.

We moved from our LEA this year (Feb) with regards to Internet and AV etc, we have been an academy since Sept 2010. Our Capita support was always provided by an external company.

The first thing I will say is contact your LEA, ours didn't start charging academies more for any services they kept with them, we left simply because it was cheaper to leave.

The process we went through was,

1) Establish what licenses we owned (including SIMS) in the school's name. We then had to look if we needed to buy anything, we luckily didn't some schools have had to. We host our own Exchange and Moodle already in house.
    2) Contacted the LEA regarding our Internet feed and AV, this is all they provided that we used. We stayed with the LEA from September 2010 to February 2011
    3) We decided to leave the LEA for services to, we moved our AV over first. Then our Internet feed. We could have stayed within the our LEA for both though.

Ask your LEA what they will continue to provide (at a cost) if they will provide everything for a while then you have more time to leave if you should wish. It also depends entirely on how confident you are being responsible for everything, if you like the idea of having someone to ask for help e.g the LEA then consider this should you want to leave. I'm in an area where a lot of schools are acadamies, some are with the LEA for IT services, some aren't, some of the non-acadmies are with the LEA and others aren't.

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    You will not necessarily need to buy a new license from Capita, don't telling untrues on the forum creese.
    Excuse me!! Can you point out the word 'New' in my post.

Capita will not sell us Academy licenses to pass on to our schools. They need to buy direct from Capita.

Are you suggesting Capita are telling 'untruths' to us and we can buy the school's licenses for them???
    Last edited by creese; 11th January 2012 at 02:55 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread