+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, EES Basics plus extras - clarification in Technical; I need some clarification as I can't find anything in the MS documentation I have found so far. I've counted ...

Thank Post

EES Basics plus extras - clarification

I need some clarification as I can't find anything in the MS documentation I have found so far.

I've counted up my FTE, and have the DsktpEdu licences, WinSrvrStd licences and SQLSvrStd per Processor licences sorted (I think).

We also use a few Terminal Servers (Windows 2003) which we need CALs for. Will the WinRmtDsktpSrvcsCAL items cover this?

Of these, one TS is available to staff via SSL VPN and one is available to students via SSL VPN. What is the coverage for external access (and how is it licensed/tracked)? Is it one CAL per user? There is no way all our students use this facility, so licensing all of them would be a killer. I've read that Windows VDA is included with the EES as part of Software Assurance, would this be a better way to provide external access (for free)?

OWA is available also to all staff/students via the SSL VPN, is there an external licence for this or is that only required for non-staff/non-student access (which we don't have).

Thanks

Mark

Thank Post
    Just a thought, would limiting the number of users who can connect to the Terminal Server be acceptable to enforce a number of external CALs required?

Thank Post
    Hi there,

Phew – a lot of questions!

RDS: Faculty/Staff must have RDS CAL’s in order to use RDS functionality – you can procure these per user. Students can be covered by an RDS External Connector (staff cannot) which may be cheaper than purchasing individual CAL’s – NB: A Windows Server external connector would also be required for every Server which is connected to via RDS

VDA: is not included in Software Assurance (this would be purchased where no base o/s is licensed e.g. thin clients), however VECD is. This permits a copy of Windows 7 to be accessed in the Datacentre by staff/faculty who are covered by Windows SA via the EES agreement
    Bear in mind that the usual RDS licensing would still be required to access the datacentre (if RDS functionality is to be used). Some documentation on VDI/VDA attached
    OWA can be made available via an Exchange External Connector model for Students, or CAL’s per user (same rules as RDS External Connector apply)

How would you propose to limit the number of users?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanks for clarifying this Luke

If anyone would like the VDA/VDI attachments referenced, they are available here: http://tinyurl.com/3cnb6mo

Regards
    Paul

Paul Harris
    Consultant Internal Schools Business Manager to Microsoft Ltd – South & Wales
    0118 909 7824| Email: v-paharr@microsoft.com| Twitter : @paulnharris
    Last edited by paulnharris; 26th July 2011 at 03:24 PM.

5. 2 Thanks to paulnharris:

kmount (26th July 2011), Millgate (26th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks for those Paul, very useful.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread