+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, Microsoft EES in Technical; Hi, I've seen a few questions floating around regarding the EES agreements and they can be confusing. I know a ...

Thank Post

Microsoft EES

Hi,

I've seen a few questions floating around regarding the EES agreements and they can be confusing.

I know a lot of you will be looking at switching to this as 99% of the time, it saves you a lot of cash. If you have any questions about anything to do with the EES agreements then just post on here, PM, email or call me and i'll try and help you out. Email's best TBH.

I've dealt with a lot of these and anything i don't know off the top of my head, i'll find out from MS for you.

Just thought i'd offer my services!

Cheers

Luke

Thank Post
    Just a couple of questions then
    1) I heard some where on here that having an EES licence gives you access to MSDN is that true?
    2)How does the licensing work for teachers home computers? Can they buy a licence and we just burn the media to disc?

Thanks
    Rich

Thank Post
    We got our EES through Luke and made him do all our running around to get bits and pieces pulled together (we had a few different agreements, etc etc and wanted them all in one place not scattered around).

I do think Microsoft have pulled a blinder with EES when compared to how it was.

4. Thanks to RTFM from:

Millgate (18th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    We got our EES through Luke and made him do all our running around to get bits and pieces pulled together (we had a few different agreements, etc etc and wanted them all in one place not scattered around).

I do think Microsoft have pulled a blinder with EES when compared to how it was.
    We were a little concerned that MS would be upping the price once schools are on board. This would be a dangerous position to be in as the buyout is totally unaffordable :/

What other options are available to schools so that we would be able to use the volume deployment tools in W7? It is so hard to find this info out!!

We to be honest will probably go for the EES evenually but we would like to know the alternatives so that we can make an informed purchase.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    We were a little concerned that MS would be upping the price once schools are on board. This would be a dangerous position to be in as the buyout is totally unaffordable :/
    IIRC there was a clause in the (old) School Agreement that limited price increases year-on-year; maybe someone could check if that's in EES too?

Thank Post
    i THINK if you commit to 3 years the price stays fixed for those 3 years

Thank Post
    Hi,

An EES license doesn't give you access to MSDN unless you purchase a product with MSDN on it under the EES such as Visual Studio Premium.

In regards to the teachers home computers question, i'm afraid they can't. There is an option for students to have it (for an additional cost) but nothing for teachers. Not sure why.

@sted - You're right. If you take it out for 3 years, your price is fixed. HOWEVER, at the minute, prices keep coming down so it's your choice. A bit like capping your gas prices.

Buying EES is a lot cheaper than the old schools agreement and better for the bank balance than buying outright so i think it's a very good thing. Unlike Microsoft to be so helpful! Ha

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Millgate View Post
    Hi,

An EES license doesn't give you access to MSDN unless you purchase a product with MSDN on it under the EES such as Visual Studio Premium.

In regards to the teachers home computers question, i'm afraid they can't. There is an option for students to have it (for an additional cost) but nothing for teachers. Not sure why.

@sted - You're right. If you take it out for 3 years, your price is fixed. HOWEVER, at the minute, prices keep coming down so it's your choice. A bit like capping your gas prices.

Buying EES is a lot cheaper than the old schools agreement and better for the bank balance than buying outright so i think it's a very good thing. Unlike Microsoft to be so helpful! Ha

Thanks
    For teachers there is the Work at Home rights and Home Use Programme, Work at Home rights lets the teachers install Office on their home computer but you need to provide them with the install media and your volume license key, and you're responsible for them removing it at the end of their employment. The HUP lets teachers buy a copy of Office for ~9 and the agreement is between the staff and Microsoft so you don't need to worry about giving them support for it or how they use it..

10. Thanks to Chris_ from:

garethedmondson (15th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
    For teachers there is the Work at Home rights and Home Use Programme, Work at Home rights lets the teachers install Office on their home computer but you need to provide them with the install media and your volume license key, and you're responsible for them removing it at the end of their employment. The HUP lets teachers buy a copy of Office for ~9 and the agreement is between the staff and Microsoft so you don't need to worry about giving them support for it or how they use it..
    Phew - thanks for comfirming that. I was worried for a minute. I'd hate to have to force all the staff to uninstall because 'at hme' rights had been taken away.Gareth

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Millgate View Post
    Hi,

It does! In the welcome email from MS it includes a coupon code for 1 MSDN AA Account, either Developer (Everything) or Designer (Expression Studio)

Thank Post
    That's weird then. I know what you mean as some of my clients said the same but when I rang MS yesterday, they said not. I'll clear it up on Monday and get something in writing from them.

Thank Post
    Right, clarification time!

EES agreements do include a subscription to MSDN AA free of charge

Work at Home rights OR Home User program rights are included under EES, so for example if the school has licensed Office 2010 Pro Plus for their FTE count then the staff can use a copy of Office at home as well.

Just goes to show it depends who you ask at MS on what answers you get. I've confirmed this with one of our Account Managers at MS and have it in writing.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

15. 3 Thanks to Millgate:

CHR1S (19th December 2012), RTFM (19th July 2011), stevenlong1985 (10th January 2013)

Thank Post
    What's the difference between work at home and home user? Do the teachers have to pay anything? Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My only, if slightly odd, issue with the MSA and now EES is that when I log onto my eOpen account with Microsoft, they give me access to lots of software, an awful lot of it I'm 90% sure I'm not licenced to use. And yet its all there, with licence codes. As much as I like new software, and testing some of this stuff out, I would prefer to at least have it split between "this is what you're licenced for, and for how many users/machines, and this is trial software for you to try out for 30/60/120 days or whatever..."

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
    What's the difference between work at home and home user? Do the teachers have to pay anything? Thanks
    At a guess, seen as EES is based on the number of full time staff who have to use a computer to do their job at work, i would guess work at home is users who are members of staff and have to work at home for their job, this means you would count them in your licensing cost so you could give them software etc

Home user would be, again at a guess, simply a person who you counted within the number for licenses who do some work at home, i.e. a teacher

That would be how i would assume they differentiate home user and work at home.......?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast