+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, Microsoft EES in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    I think I know the answer to this already but Im going to ask the question anyway.

Does this include server OS'. If I buy into the scheme can I upgrade from 2003 to 2008
    You can get server OS's under the scheme, yes. Windows Server standard licenses are about £24 a piece, enterprise around £78 a piece and you can get datacentre too, but I've not had a need here yet so don't know the pricing.

Thank Post
    Just reverting back to the work at home rights. I found this on the microsoft website.. So its seems i can give staff a copy of office for example for their desktop pc etc..

Education institutions that have acquired licences through Microsoft Academic Volume Licensing programs may grant their faculty and staff the right to use a second copy of a limited selection of products on either a home or portable computer for work-related purposes.

The following is an overview of the Work At Home rights available through each of our academic volume licensing programmes.

But my question is how do i know when they have uninstalled the software.??

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just get them to sign an agreement saying they have removed it.

Thank Post
    ah so its that simple..

Thank Post
    Thanks a lot for the information.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunderwood View Post
    Just reverting back to the work at home rights. I found this on the microsoft website.. So its seems i can give staff a copy of office for example for their desktop pc etc..

Education institutions that have acquired licences through Microsoft Academic Volume Licensing programs may grant their faculty and staff the right to use a second copy of a limited selection of products on either a home or portable computer for work-related purposes.

The following is an overview of the Work At Home rights available through each of our academic volume licensing programmes.

But my question is how do i know when they have uninstalled the software.??
    That method is best avoided for the following reasons:
    It's only licensed for them to use personally and for work stuff, they can't use it for non work related tasks and the rest of their family are not licensed to use it.
    Your licence key ends up out in the wild, if it gets about too much then Microsoft revoke the key and suddenly you have no working Office in school
    You have to faff about with burning them copies etc.
    You supplied it, therefore they expect you to support it!

Much better option is to set up the Microsoft Home Use Programme and they then get it off Microsoft for a small handling fee and avoids the problems above.

Thank Post
    We are in EES and have keys for Windows 7 and Office 2010. We have two sets of keys one for home use and one for school use. The only key that might get about a bit is the home one so if that gets deactivated it only locks out all the home users. At our school we say that if they want Windows 7 or Office 2010 then we have to install it that way the staff never get hold of the media or the key. We also get them to sign a disclaimer saying they will not share any installed keys and that when they leave the school they understand that any software installed under EES needs to be removed.

Thank Post
    this clarifies it a bit:

Work at Home licenses for Academic Volume License Customers

Basically the work at home rights are only for the employee, not their family and only work work related tasks, not for personal use, so it's really only appropriate if they are supplying their own equipment to solely use for work. If they have a home computer that the rest of the family use and/or they want to use it for personal use, then they need to use the Home Use Programme. Both scheme are catered for under EES.

Thank Post
    Our users install Office themselves from a download link that they register to get via MS. There's no giving out of school license keys.

Thank Post
    Hi, Here's some info on this topic from my blog (I couldn't link as I'm not a commercial sponsor):

The work at home rights are a little confusing and there's definitely some improvements that could be made in the EES documentation, e.g. in the Microsoft EES FAQ it states:

"For no additional license cost, you can take advantage of faculty and staff Work At Home (WAH) rights for any of the application, system, and CAL products you order for organization use."

Whilst this maybe true for the actual license cost, the document doesn't provide specific guidance for the process to obtain the software or install applications for faculty and staff at home. You are definitely not allowed to use the Multiple Activation Key/MAK software distributed via the Volume Licensing Service Centre (VLSC)!

In order to obtain the software for Work at Home Rights (WAH), the school licensing administrator must visit the web site of e-academy, a 3rd party that administers the process on Microsoft's behalf.

Click here to visit the e-academy web site

At the bottom of the form you will be asked to supply the LAR name with your Microsoft agreement and enrollment numbers. LAR just refers to the reseller name (in our case SLA Performance Ltd) and of course there is no enrollment number for EES. Just enter the agreement number which begins with 'V', e.g. V12345678.

The e-academy will set up a private online store just for your school. Once they process your details from the form, they will contact you to suggest a verification method for your faculty and staff, e.g. only allow access to email addresses ending yourschool.org.

Once the private online store is enabled, your faculty and staff will be able to purchase and download their software. Download is the only option for UK customers.

When we enquired about Work at Home rights for Office 2010 we were told by the e-academy it would cost £6.15 per unit if each faculty/staff member pays individually. If the school/institution prepays they would sell each unit for £2-£2.50 per unit depending on the volume purchased. I guess these costs are to cover service/administration from the e-academy even though there is no additional license cost charged by Microsoft.

If you have any issues you can call the e-academy on 0800 098 8436 for technical support. Stephen Hubbard is the UK sales representative.

NOTE: Office 2010 is also available via the Home Use Program (HUP). Under HUP you can use the software for non-work purposes too. Office 2010 under the Home Use Program (HUP) is priced at £8.95 and can be ordered ad-hoc via Microsoft Home Use Program - Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010. The software suite includes Word, Excel PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher, Access and more! . Prior to ordering you will need to activate the HUP benefit on your Microsoft eAgreement and follow the instructions to receive the specific HUP code for your school, which your staff will need to enter when ordering.

Be aware that in the EES FAQ it says ‘You are not permitted to provide licensed product with the same title to any individual faculty or staff member using both HUP and WAH’.

11. 3 Thanks to marksams:

memo512 (19th March 2013), nadeem (14th January 2012), robk (14th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Does anyone have an example of a disclaimer they get their staff to sign when installing software for home use?

Thank Post
    How much are everyones EES licensing costing them this year?

Suppliers seem to have dropped in price on last years quotations, now £35.56 per FTE and £25.50 per server license, anyone getting cheaper and can suggest a place?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    How much are everyones EES licensing costing them this year?

Suppliers seem to have dropped in price on last years quotations, now £35.56 per FTE and £25.50 per server license, anyone getting cheaper and can suggest a place?
    35-40 per FTE for EES for Desktop with Ent CALS, with about 50 per license for 2008 R2 at the minute. Got quotes from millgate, misco, novatech, capita and PCS. All coming in around the same really.

15. Thanks to TMODAlpha from:

Millgate (27th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Try putting an Invitation To Quote on Buying Solutions - The National Procurement Partner for UK Public Services and then negotiate downwards from there, you always find one sales person who is more desperate than others;-)
    Last edited by teejay; 27th January 2012 at 10:27 AM.

17. Thanks to teejay from:

mrbios (27th January 2012)

Thank Post
    If you send me over what you've been quoted on i'll drop you a quote. Prices for EES should be all around the same unless you get some new guy trying to rip you off or some numpty quoting on the wrong codes.

ALWAYS buy from someone who knows what they are talking about because if they put the agreement through wrong, it can be a MASSIVE pain in the *!@# to sort out. If the price is too good to be true, it certainly will be!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast