+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, Microsoft EES in Technical; A further clarification - if the staff use a school owned computer at all, then they should be included. This ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A further clarification - if the staff use a school owned computer at all, then they should be included. This was discussed at the Edugeek Microsoft Conference a while back. This wouldn't include catering staff though, if their only 'computer' use was using a till.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    It seems a bit vague as far as teaching assistants are concerned. They are obviously classroom based so do not have their own machines and will typically not use a computer other than to assist students, so I would argue that they should not be counted. This could make a massive difference to the FTE count in some schools though!
    As I understand it, assuming you have a policy of not sharing logins amongst your staff (and you should), you only count members of staff who have a login to a school computer and who work for 200 or more hours per year.

The first bit is easy, as cleaners and catering assistants don't usually have logins, but the caretaker and Teaching Assistants usually do (even if they don't use them very often)

The second bit is a pain. Angry Technician did the maths and worked out that 200 hours per year works out at 5 hours per week in term-time only and there are few people that have contracts for so little hours. We have loads of part-time staff, but they're all on around 15 hours per week. EES does not work for us because we're a staff heavy small school. We employ more people than we have computers!

Thank Post
    great, thanks for the clarification

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    This wouldn't include catering staff though, if their only 'computer' use was using a till.
    Does this mean that any single application use is ok, ie if staff just used either a web browser - or is there something specific in the licensing about tills?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Does this mean that any single application use is ok, ie if staff just used either a web browser - or is there something specific in the licensing about tills?
    I think you'd need to take this one up with Microsoft themselves, I just remember tills being brought up and being indicated as not being included.

If it extends to other 'single use' devices, such as web browsing machines, I'd doubt as it'd open a door to allowing a school to basically create a bit of a big loophole by saying 'everything is web based, therefore they only use a web browser'...

Thank Post
    If the till is using Windows embedded or similar it would not count as a ‘qualified desktop’ so no they would not be counted

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millgate View Post
    If the till is using Windows embedded or similar it would not count as a ‘qualified desktop’ so no they would not be counted
    That will also apply to tills running Microsoft POS Ready 2009 or 7 which are the newer version of Embedded often found on Tills

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millgate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    That will also apply to tills running Microsoft POS Ready 2009 or 7 which are the newer version of Embedded often found on Tills
    Does a Linux, Mac or thin client count as a 'qualified desktop' ? Whats the definition they use?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Does a Linux, Mac or thin client count as a 'qualified desktop' ? Whats the definition they use?
    Yes. If they are accessing windows server resources (AD, file shares)

People are getting hung up on kit when what matters is people. As I understand it EES is intended to give you a quick head count of how many people can log on to a windows network. It doesn't matter what they are using to login. POS equipment has been excluded because all ypu can do with it is pay for food. If you can send email, access documents or the internet it qualifies. M$ have assumed we're all using Windows networks, so it really only requires a bit more thought if you aren't.

EES is an alternative to Schools' Agreement, not a tax. If you could be using SA when purchasing, then EES can be considered. Getting it wrong by one or two people won't matter; staff come and go and change their hours. Get it wrong by 50 and you'll be in trouble potentially.

Thank Post
    I'm sorry if this has been asked already.

In regards to the staff having access to the software at home once you have brought the licence. How do people police this? How do you make a member of staff uninstall the software? Do you get them to sign an agreement? or do you build it into the ICT AUP?

Thank Post
    if you use kms keys wont it stop working 6 months after it last checked in with your kms server?

Thank Post
    What so they would need a new key?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If it couldn't activate against the KMS after 6 months it would cease working until they brought it back in to activate it.

Or are you wondering more about the Home Use Program (staff purchasing use on their own computers)?

Thank Post
    Yes i was wondering about staff having access to the software at home. I was under the impression though that because we have purchased a licence for that staff member to use on their work machine that they were allowed to install that software on their home device for the duration of their employment.

Thank Post
    I think I know the answer to this already but Im going to ask the question anyway.

Does this include server OS'. If I buy into the scheme can I upgrade from 2003 to 2008

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast