+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, Microsoft EES in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Millgate View Post

Work at Home rights OR Home User program rights are included under EES, so for example if the school has licensed Office 2010 Pro Plus for their FTE count then the staff can use a copy of Office at home as well.

Cheers
    Yes but we can't give them the key, they would have to bring their pc into school for us to install it which then opens up a whole new can of worms.

I think it would be best to let them pay the £9 and do it themselves.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @NikChillin under a legal standpoint the network manager/ IT Technician must be the one to do the install and keep the key secret, so staff cant give the key out further.

Thank Post
    Morning all,

Work at Home rights are managed by the School (cost for media), whereas Home User Program is ordered directly by the staff member once set up by School admin (cost to FTE)

Cheers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    @NikChillin under a legal standpoint the network manager/ IT Technician must be the one to do the install and keep the key secret, so staff cant give the key out further.
    I am aware of that but the implications of having private equipment bought into the school and then hearing 'it was fine before I bought it into school' every time something goes wrong isn't what we are prepared to deal with. We don't want to get into home IT support too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    But even if we did install it ourselves, it's not exactly difficult to extract a licence key from an install of Office (or Windows for that matter). Either you trust your staff and give them the opportunity to install the software (either by bringing in their PC, or you giving them the media and product key) or you don't.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    With the issue of "it worked before I bought it in" get them to sign an indemnity and get them to watch you installing the program.

As for getting the key, fine you can get it, but if it is used more than you have installed it, you can ask the staff to bring it in for checking. Once school software is installed you do have a legal right to do so.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    But if the product key been used more times than it should have been, then it's unlikely that the teacher has installed multiple copies onto their PC, more likely they have given it to friends, family, or in a worse case scenario, posted it on the internet. If the key has been used on multiple members of staffs computers, then it would be near impossible to track down the leak.

As a result of this potential headache, I tend not to advertise any work from home scheme unless the software is essential for that teacher to teach their lessons. I advertised the 'Office 2010 for £9' deal, and that went down very well, and would be my preferred method.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonj View Post

As a result of this potential headache, I tend not to advertise any work from home scheme unless the software is essential for that teacher to teach their lessons. I advertised the 'Office 2010 for £9' deal, and that went down very well, and would be my preferred method.
    I agree, the other methods seem too problematic.

Thank Post
    As others have said, to save all the hassle, we have only told staff about the Home Use Programme as £9 is still a great price for Office and it doesn't involve us messing around distributing media and giving support.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Granted it is easier but its just a headache with trust, and I couldnt trust most of the staff as far as I could throw them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    We got our EES through Luke and made him do all our running around to get bits and pieces pulled together (we had a few different agreements, etc etc and wanted them all in one place not scattered around).
    Same here, very good service and we've been with Viglen for many years. Normally I couldn't praise them highly enough but this year they dropped the ball.

12. Thanks to Gibbo from:

Millgate (18th July 2011)

Thank Post
    just when you thought all EES questions had been answered!

The FTE staff count consists of staff who work more than 200 hours per year. I have been told that this count only includes 'computer users' who are those members of staff who need a job to fulfil their role. So all teaching staff, headteacher, office based staff with their own computer, obviously automatically fall into this category.

Staff who 'use the network to occasionally check their emails etc' do not have to be included. On this basis is it correct not to include TA's, catering and cleaning staff in the FTE count?

Hope someone can clear this up for me ...

Thank Post
    I was under the impression it includes anyone who 'uses a pc to do their job' so a cleaner wouldn't come under this but obviously an admin assistant would.

We got Luke @Millgate to sort our EES so perhaps he can help?

Thank Post
    It seems a bit vague as far as teaching assistants are concerned. They are obviously classroom based so do not have their own machines and will typically not use a computer other than to assist students, so I would argue that they should not be counted. This could make a massive difference to the FTE count in some schools though!

Thank Post
    Hi there,

FTE count is made up of:

"Faculty" means any employees, contractors and volunteers who teach or preform research for Institution for more than 200 hours per annum and use an Institution Qualified Desktop

"Staff" means any non faculty employees, contractors and volunteers who preform work for Institution for more than 200 hours per annum and use an Institution Qualified Desktop

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask me any questions you have or for pricing

Cheers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast