+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Licensing Questions Thread, Do we need an EES agreement? in Technical; sorry to hijack this thread, but I've just been made privy to some figures for our licensing prices and I'd ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    sorry to hijack this thread, but I've just been made privy to some figures for our licensing prices and I'd like some comments

Currently under the schools agreement we are paying over $80,000 AUD

With ESS we are quoted as paying just over $15,000AUD

180 staff working over 72 hours
    60 staff working under 72 hours

We have about 1300 Windows desktops/laptops.

How does servers enter the equation? I have no idea what our current licensing model includes, but i do know that we run 2008R2 datacenter/enterprise all over the place with some 2003 getting in the way.. We have Ex2007 with all the staff having an account.

How does server consideration affect the ESS?

[i post this for my info only nothing do do with any organization or school]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Rabbie,

From the quote I have so far this year there is little difference, EES is a little more, but it is not substantial given the saving.

These products are on my quote:

Server Standard - £24.00
    Server Enterprise- £77.18
    DPM - £23.52
    Multipoint Server - £23.76
    MultiPoint Device CAL - £4.54
    ILM - £110.00

Thank Post
    Microsoft licensing is a minefield, your best bet is to speak to one of the M$ Gold/Education partners and have them look at what is best for you as a school. If you only have a small amount of equipment it may not work out viable for you.

Just some basics about EES.

1. FTE's are ONLY those staff that work more than 200 hours per year and have access to a workstation, so you can effectively wipe off some of your staff such as cleaners/kitchen staff/caretaker etc.

2) If your students are allocated laptops on a 1:1 basis and take them off site rather than issued from a pool, then you need to also get pricing for the Student Option Pack - This is debatable as I'm not sure how this is enforced or managed.

3) Pricing for EES enterprise is approximately £38 per FTE.

4) EES includes SA.

5) Depending on a number of factors such as workstations, students, FTE's, current pricing, whether you want "buyout" perpetual licencing etc all affect how you manage it going forwards.

6) For some schools (and most i have been working with) you can save anything from 30% to up to 80%.

7) All other licenses (excluding those listed below) and CALs are purchased via the select or other agreement as normal (e.g. Server licenses etc) :

Windows 7 Enterprise upgrade (Legacy Upgrades & New) Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 (Legacy Upgrades & New)

Microsoft Core CAL Suite** (Includes Windows Server Standard CAL, Exchange Server Standard CAL, SharePoint® Server Standard CAL, and System Center Configuration Manager CAL)

Microsoft Enterprise CAL Suite** (Includes all Core CAL Suite components plus Active Directory® Rights Management Services CAL, Exchange Server Enterprise CAL, SharePoint Server Enterprise CAL, Office Communications Server Standard CAL, Office Communications Server Enterprise CAL, System Center Client Management Suite*** CAL, Forefront® Protection Suite CAL, and Forefront Unified Access Gateway*** CAL)

8) Schools, after 3yrs, have the option to exercise a "buyout" to purchase their licenses outright (however cost can be prohibitive . Indicative pricing as of May 2011 is £41.00 per device)

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Exos; 27th May 2011 at 09:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Point 7 isn't quite right, server products etc can all be bought through the EES agreement.

Thank Post
    Not according to our Gold Partner.

Thank Post
    We've had an EES agreement since March, all our server products were purchased through it. What you have described above is the Desktop bundle, which includes the various CALs depending on which version you buy and is the part which you need to do an FTE count on. That is just one part of the EES agreement, the server products etc you can buy as required and will be on the same subscription agreement.

Thank Post
    i dont think anyone NEEDS it but having moved our school to Software assurance a couple of years ago i can safely say that it makes keeping track of licensing very very easy and the benefits are very useful (getting new software earlier than it can be bought eg we had exchange 2010 as soon as we could!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12