+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, How does Licensing work through external support? in Technical; I hope this doesn't come across as a question and that viewers can see where I'm going to with my ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

How does Licensing work through external support?

I hope this doesn't come across as a question and that viewers can see where I'm going to with my following rambling

Thinking of the new (and old) Licensing systems for Schools provided through Microsoft (and indeed other providers - like AV via the LEA, Backup Software etc.) can anyone explain how the system works (or indeed if it does work) when support to schools is provided through external contractors.

I'm thinking of schools who traditionally have all licenses either OEM or paid up front (say for Office 2007 / 2010 etc.) in house but going onto imaging and remote back up - support from an external contractor.

Whose responsibility is it to ensure the licensing is in place / complied with?

Thank Post
    This will all be down to the scope of the "contract" and one would have expected those parties concerned would have something as obvious as licensing covered.
    Microsoft have specific schemes to migrate users from OEM licenses over to subscriptions including things like 50% off of the 1st years subscription of a 3yr deal but most managed service providers will simply cover the school through a CHEST negotiated agreement eg. Ramesys purchase 1000's of Cals and divide these amongst all of their clients charging them a lower rate than other agreements through collective discount schemes.

Ultimately, the head of the institution concerned or directors of the company are held accountable if there are licensing anomalies so regardless of external contractors used I would want to be sure it's not my head that's on the block if something goes unchecked!

As a reseller we just have to make sure that all new equipment is sold with a qualifying OS and valid COA attached after that it's down to the school to provide the appropriate desktop upgrade licenses.
    If rebuilding, imaging or cloning desktops we will request from the client the appropriate KMS/MAK keys before hand.
    So once again this points to the owner/user as being the responsible party for the licensing costs.

Either way the school will be paying, either directly to M$ or indirectly through the MSP's contract for licensing these things are rarely "inclusive" and unless the Head wants their name on a Microsoft Legal Enforcement notice I would be checking the small pint of the contract quite closely.

3. Thanks to m25man from:

speckytecky (24th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,500 Times in 1,346 Posts
    Why would you need a customers kms key?

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Why would you need a customers kms key?

Ben
    When setting up their KMS server of course..
    In most cases the 3rd party/external contractor would be on the list of administrative users of the MS Licensing Portal anyway and will have access to ALL of their clients product IDs as do the Licensing resellers and distributors.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks M25man for both your answers. Wish I'd sought you advice prior to moving my school to a School agreement as I did not know there was a scheme for the discount on moving from OEM. On the other hand that particular school seemed to have a pretty mixed bag when it came to licences anyhow and it was proving to be a nightmare trying to track down what was OEM and what had been set up with new installs!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    I did not know there was a scheme for the discount on moving from OEM.
    Alas, this offer was around last year and only for certain SKU's (mostly eOpen agreements) but I doubt if we will see it again anytime soon as everything at the moment is about EES, Cloud Sevices and SAAS.

8. Thanks to m25man from:

speckytecky (24th April 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread