+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, MS EndPoint confusion in Technical; Hey, We're looking at moving to MS EndPoint security (trying to get away from McAfee ) but I'm pretty confused ...

Thank Post

MS EndPoint confusion

Hey,

We're looking at moving to MS EndPoint security (trying to get away from McAfee ) but I'm pretty confused as to what we actually need. Basically I'm looking to license our Server and Workstation OSs (we don't need any Exchange AV etc.) but from looking at the Microsoft site it seems we'd need to look into System Center Configuration Manager and such or am I getting the wrong impression?

Has anyone had any experiences with these and know more about licensing it? I'm not looking for any fancy centralised management (although would be a bonus if it was cheap enough I suppose).

Thanks

Thank Post
    Hi

To use the new MSFT Endpoint security, you will need SCCM/SCOM. This is for the central management and reporting of your clients. You can deploy the client as a standalong, however this will be unmanaged. For your set-up, you will most probably need SCCM.

It depends if you want to manage this yourself or not. You can always use In-tune.

Regards
    Sukh

3. Thanks to sukh from:

Blue_Cookeh (8th March 2011)

Thank Post
    So am I right in thinking I'd be looking at licensing the following to use ForeFront?

EndPoint Client
    EndPoint Server
    SCCM
    SQL Server

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Cookeh View Post
    So am I right in thinking I'd be looking at licensing the following to use ForeFront?

EndPoint Client
    EndPoint Server
    SCCM
    SQL Server
    Yes. the most expensive part of the deal will probably be sql server. (you'll need SQL server reporting services for the reports. these include graphs which component isn't included in sqlexpress)
    Last edited by jc1875; 8th March 2011 at 08:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi

Yes. If you've already got SQL Server deployed, depending on the licensing used, you may be able ti use another instance.

If you're in the education sector, what is your current licensing programme that you're on? If you're going to renew, what do you plan to use EES?

If so, get some quotes for Endpoint solution and I'll may be able to help you here.

Also, consider using Windows Intune, unless you want to manage in-house.

Thanks
    Sukh

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I asked this question to the Microsoft system center guy at the Edugeek conference.

Its ridiculous needing all that software for simple anti virus management!

He simply said that's the way it works and it was a common question

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I asked this question to the Microsoft system center guy at the Edugeek conference.

Its ridiculous needing all that software for simple anti virus management!

He simply said that's the way it works and it was a common question
    Glad you raised that as I forgot, the last version was bad enough needing MOM and SQL..... Took me abotu a day to get the back end all setup and working, well 99% working anyway, then a few weeks later the other actually launched and itw as oh right now you need the full SCCM etc! Queue me going grrrr

Thank Post
    Hi

You can always use Windows Intune?

Saying that, even if you need SCCM, it doesn't cost that much under EES. Have you had quotes?

Regards
    Sukh

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    Hi

You can always use Windows Intune?

Saying that, even if you need SCCM, it doesn't cost that much under EES. Have you had quotes?

Regards
    Sukh
    Cost isn't an issue as its peanuts for the SCCM suite, its the fact its a monster of a program, which yes I do wish to look at in the future, however I just need an AV program to keep the bugs away and yet you can spend a day configuring it to do multiple other things before you can just use any simple AV. So will spend another day re-setting up SCCM and all its service accounts, tweaks,patches to get it up to date etc all to deploy AV..... Microsoft AV taking a leaf out of the Sophos book of deployment and management, at least it doesn't need 2GB of ram in the PC to actually work and be usable!

Thank Post
    Hi John

SCCM is a monster, as you say there are many benefits in addition to the endpoint security which all can benefit from.

You will also benefit from learning a new product,keep your mind active.

What's happened to the existing AV on the desktops? Why can't you continue to use until you sort out SCCM?

For a first time setup it can take some time but it's a one-off with benefits worth doing for.

If not, then you can always go for Intune, which will be under EES too and you don't need SCCM.

Regards
    Sukh

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread