+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Licensing Questions Thread, EES in Technical; Hi, you are correct that your FTE count will cover all the desktops in your school By including the 'Student ...

Thank Post
    Hi, you are correct that your FTE count will cover all the desktops in your school
    By including the 'Student Option' in your OVS-ES, you can license selected products and services for use on your students’ personally-owned devices or on organisation-owned devices that are individually assigned to a student’s exclusive use (for example, a laptop checked out to a student for the school year).
    Some organizations choose to recover costs by charging the cost of Student Option to students. Some schools include this cost as part of the student technology fee, enrollment fee, or entrance fee. This is completely up to your organisation’s discretion and any applicable laws.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply, localzuk

This would probably explain the confusion and why they have quoted for it. However, it is difficult to know whether that is right or not, with the various documents I've been reading. Obviously whether this is a huge question to us, if they dont have to be licensed we stand to save £12-15k per year.

From the RM document mentioned in this thread Enrolment for Education Solutions (EES)

EES Student option
    Is a convenient cost effective way for establishments to license products for all students for exclusive use on their home or personal computer or one owned by the institution that is checked out to them for their use.
    From this quote, I can see where they are coming from. However, how do you define whether the computer is "checked out to them for their use" - what if other students use and share those laptops in school - do they then not have to be licensed additonally?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscubed View Post
    I've been reading a bit and the EES (or OVS-ES) looks interesting, especially as we have in the region of 1000 PCs and probably about 120 FTE staff.
    I passed this on to my manager who obtained a quote (from a company I won't name) for both OVS-ES and SA, but they're saying SA will work out cheaper for us!

I've seen the quote and it doesn't look right to me - they've quoted for Desktop packs * FTE, which sounds fine, but also included costs for 900 student desktop packs.
    Without going into too much detail, we have an e-learning laptop scheme for students where the students contribute to paying for laptops owned (or leased) by the school, so I don't know if there are any exceptions here..

I thought the whole point was you didn't have to cover each individual machine in this fashion because you just pay for FTE staff * desktop pack cost, plus any server software such as SQL and Windows Server - can anyone enlighten me on this or confirm my suspicions that the quote is wrong?

EDIT: Just thought I'd highlight, the 900 student desktop packs account for £15,000 out of the £21,000 quote, so it's pretty significant to us!
    Localzuk is correct, if a computer is individually assigned to a student, ie they take it home etc, then that isn't covered by the desktop pack and so you need the student option for the number of students assigned a computer. This is the same for EES and Schools Agreement I believe.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply, localzuk

This would probably explain the confusion and why they have quoted for it. However, it is difficult to know whether that is right or not, with the various documents I've been reading. Obviously whether this is a huge question to us, if they dont have to be licensed we stand to save £12-15k per year.

From the RM document mentioned in this thread Enrolment for Education Solutions (EES)

From this quote, I can see where they are coming from. However, how do you define whether the computer is "checked out to them for their use" - what if other students use and share those laptops in school - do they then not have to be licensed additonally?
    If you allocate a laptop to a specific student and they are the main user, ie they take it home or use the same laptop every day, then you need the extra pack. If you have a pool of laptops and they are allocated each day randomly to students, then you don't need it.

Thank Post
    Microsoft term a Student Qualified Desktop (i.e. requires Student option) as follows
    'A Qualified desktop owned or leased by a Student, or that is owned or leased by Institutions Organisation and assigned for individual, dedicated use by a Student'

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Localzuk is correct, if a computer is individually assigned to a student, ie they take it home etc, then that isn't covered by the desktop pack and so you need the student option for the number of students assigned a computer. This is the same for EES and Schools Agreement I believe.
    I see. Of course, we currently pay for the student packs under Schools Agreement - and it's a large sum of money every year. When I heard the news of the EES agreements, where it was based on FTE staff rather than devices, it sounded great - but for us EES will work out around £4k more than Schools Agreement, to the tune of £21,000 per year.

From what I've read, SA will eventually be replaced by EES, which is even more worrying for us. I can't tell you how disappointed I am by this "brilliant new scheme".

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I see. Of course, we currently pay for the student packs under Schools Agreement - and it's a large sum of money every year. When I heard the news of the EES agreements, where it was based on FTE staff rather than devices, it sounded great - but for us EES will work out around £4k more than Schools Agreement, to the tune of £21,000 per year.

From what I've read, SA will eventually be replaced by EES, which is even more worrying for us. I can't tell you how disappointed I am by this "brilliant new scheme".
    The licensing bod at MS specifically said that SA wouldn't be disappearing.

Thank Post
    Please note that the following information is based on the "Enrollment for Education Solutions Program Guide" from the US Micrposoft site. the full doc can be found here: Microsoft Enrollment for Education Solutions: Academic discounts on Microsoft Software for Education Customers

If you look for the term 'student option' you will see the following: The EES Student Option provides a convenient and cost-effective way for you to license selected products for use by your students on a personally-owned device or an institution-owned device assigned to the student’s exclusive use (i.e., a device checked out to a student for the school year).

So if the US rules apply to the UK??, you would only have to buy seperate student licenses if you give a machine to a single student for a full year. Otherwise they will be covered by the standard FTE count.
    Last edited by Trident; 16th March 2011 at 12:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    What he said.

M$ were very pleased with themselves over EES, but with their definition of 'Full Time' being so ridiculously small (200 hours per year) EES will not suit quite a lot of schools.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Well that's good to know - there's so much conflicting and confusing information out there.

Unfortunately though, it still leaves us with a large bill of ~£17k a year currently under SA, and now no prospect of a decent system which would bring this down to a more reasonable level, all because of how we choose to provide laptops to our students.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345