+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, EES in Technical; Hi Paul You mention "The '300 unit' minimum no longer exists, as this applied to HE/FE customers before the new ...

Thank Post
    Hi Paul

You mention

"The '300 unit' minimum no longer exists, as this applied to HE/FE customers before the new program launched at the start of March for Schools

If a School has 1000+ FTE's then they can start an EES agreement - which is transacted only via the EDLAR channel ".

Not sure if you saw my reply but PM me as this is not how I understand it. Microsoft have told me different as stated above.

Thanks
    Sukh

Thank Post
    Hi Sukh

The minimum for an OVS-ES is 1 x desktop platform product across 5 FTE's

See this URL for program guides etc which contain more info Microsoft Volume Licensing - Document Library

NB: these documents are US specific so certain points such as how the FTE calculation is worked out are different in EMEA

regards
    Paul

3. Thanks to paulnharris from:

OverWorked (7th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi Paul

Quite a few docs there. The 300 Units still appies to pre EES CASA-EES but NOT OVS-ES. When MSFT first launched the programme Dec 2010, the 300 units still applied. However at the time of launch, the programme was not available in the EMEA. Therefore does not apply now to any EES.

Thanks
    Sukh
    Last edited by sukh; 4th March 2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: 300 units apply pre EES subscription CASA-EES

Thank Post
    I work for an independent IT reseller and you can definitely get pricing below 38/39 per license.

Thank Post
    Hi Trident

You are right, I do recommend people shop around for best prices.

I engage with a number of IT resellers and know pricing is competitive.

If customers are interested then I guess they can post their requirements.

Regards
    Sukh

Thank Post
    I cant see that anyone has spoken about the formula to calculate the number of FTE's and this can be quite important.

Typically, its not as easy as you might think. The full time employee count also takes into account part time employees......

The formula published by Microsoft is as follows:

Full time Faculty + Part time Faculty - divided by 3 + Full time Staff + Part time staff - divided by 3

As an example, a school with 10 full time faculty, 30 part time faculty, 10 full time staff and 15 Part time staff would have the following FTE's:

10+10+10+5 = a total of 35 FTE's.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That is the US formula from what I know. The licensing expert at the Conference at the Microsoft Campus said that it is as simple as 'if your staff work over 200 hours a year, you include them - but only if they use a computer'. There is no other formula from what we were told by Microsoft.

9. Thanks to localzuk from:

Trident (10th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I cant see that anyone has spoken about the formula to calculate the number of FTE's and this can be quite important.

Typically, its not as easy as you might think. The full time employee count also takes into account part time employees......

The formula published by Microsoft is as follows:

Full time Faculty + Part time Faculty - divided by 3 + Full time Staff + Part time staff - divided by 3

As an example, a school with 10 full time faculty, 30 part time faculty, 10 full time staff and 15 Part time staff would have the following FTE's:

10+10+10+5 = a total of 35 FTE's.
    I thought this was just for the USA and that the UK or Europe(?) one was just an employee who works over 200hrs/year and has regular access to a PC? I wish we did use the American formula as it would mean our calculated FTE could to be a fair bit lower!

[edit]localz beat me to it [/edit]

11. Thanks to dgsmith from:

Thank Post
    Interesting, this formula came from the Microsoft rep at one of the UK's major distributors...... I will check my sources!

Thank Post
    As far as I was aware, the count for FTE is members of staff that has access to a shared workstation and works over 200 or 300 hours a year. The formula I thought was for the US and Canada customers?

Which implies that you can exclude catering and cleaning staff from the FTE and lunch time supervisors if they do not access a shared workstations.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Rob

[edit]localz beat me to it

Ditto! [/edit]
    Last edited by camel; 10th March 2011 at 08:50 AM.

14. Thanks to camel from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,499 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Yup any staff who work 200+ hours a year and use a computer.

Ben

16. Thanks to plexer from:

Thank Post
    Apologies & thanks to all for pointing out this mistake.

I'm off now to hunt down my Microsoft rep.
    You are all correct that a UK FTE is someone who works 200+hrs per year and users a computer.

BANG.....

Thank Post
    I've been reading a bit and the EES (or OVS-ES) looks interesting, especially as we have in the region of 1000 PCs and probably about 120 FTE staff.
    I passed this on to my manager who obtained a quote (from a company I won't name) for both OVS-ES and SA, but they're saying SA will work out cheaper for us!

I've seen the quote and it doesn't look right to me - they've quoted for Desktop packs * FTE, which sounds fine, but also included costs for 900 student desktop packs.
    Without going into too much detail, we have an e-learning laptop scheme for students where the students contribute to paying for laptops owned (or leased) by the school, so I don't know if there are any exceptions here..

I thought the whole point was you didn't have to cover each individual machine in this fashion because you just pay for FTE staff * desktop pack cost, plus any server software such as SQL and Windows Server - can anyone enlighten me on this or confirm my suspicions that the quote is wrong?

EDIT: Just thought I'd highlight, the 900 student desktop packs account for 15,000 out of the 21,000 quote, so it's pretty significant to us!
    Last edited by chriscubed; 16th March 2011 at 11:34 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You pay up to the number of FTE staff you have. So if you have 120 staff, you pay for 120 desktop packs, and the others are licensed anyway.

However, if your laptops are only used by individual pupils and aren't shared machines, the pricing is extra for those from what I've been told.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    However, if your laptops are only used by individual pupils and aren't shared machines, the pricing is extra for those from what I've been told.
    What defines a shared machine for a student? We have a laptop ratio of 1:1 but they do not necessarily always use the exact same laptop, even though they are stored within the same classroom. Does that mean they are shared machines because today you could use number 1 and then tomorrow use number 21???

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast