+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, EES in Technical; I tried to summarize/simplify EES for Primary Schools: What Microsoft’s new EES licensing model means for Primary Schools | John ...
    Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quickly bashed up a very rough calculator that takes into account replacing licenses and probably doesn't fit for your environment but gives you an idea of cost non the less.. It's mostly focused on Primary so probably useless for secondariness but it's here anyway: jQuery UI Slider - Default functionality

Thank Post
    I've just finished reading the EES Licensing Guide that Robbocop linked to.

It mentions in several places a 300 unit minimum purchase.

From reading that doc, the basic Win7 + Office + CALs desktop counts as 3 units per FTE staff. Other apps are 1 unit each (I think). So, if you've got less than 100 staff (like we have) then you'd have to buy extra products to make up the units to 300. See the Volume Licensing Product List.

Then I spoke to a supplier who told me that the 300 point minimum no longer applies.

Anyone else knows anything about this 300 point minimum?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Best speak to a licencing MCP I've got one ringing me in a fortnight

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Best speak to a licencing MCP I've got one ringing me in a fortnight

Ben
    Is it taking them that long to work it out?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OverWorked View Post

From reading that doc, the basic Win7 + Office + CALs desktop counts as 3 units per FTE staff. Other apps are 1 unit each (I think). So, if you've got less than 100 staff (like we have) then you'd have to buy extra products to make up the units to 300. See the Volume Licensing Product List.

Then I spoke to a supplier who told me that the 300 point minimum no longer applies.

I've asked 4 suppliers (and another one is calling me tomorrow to discuss it, so I'll check again) and all of them have said that the 300 minimum units do not apply.

Thank Post
    From reading that doc, the basic Win7 + Office + CALs desktop counts as 3 units per FTE staff. Other apps are 1 unit each (I think). So, if you've got less than 100 staff (like we have) then you'd have to buy extra products to make up the units to 300.
    We brought less than 300, quite a lot less.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OverWorked View Post

I don't know of this 300 point part anymore, they didn't mention it either at the MS Edugeek even last week where we had a session on EES and how it works. So I don't think its applicable anymore / for us. Ruth (The Licensing Guru) at Insight will know

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,094 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just to point out that most institutions will actually be under the Open Value Subscription Educational Solution (OVS-ES).
    This RM page explains it pretty well, especially the table under the features section.

10. Thanks to sparkeh from:

OverWorked (3rd March 2011)

Thank Post
    We have 96 staff and had a quote for just Win 7 upgrade and Office 2010 which seemed very reasonable.

Also, (i'm told) staff can use the products you buy on their home computers at no cost and students can but a boxed copy of the product at the individual coat, i.e (for us) Win 7 = 12.93 and Office 2010 17.58

Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    Hi

There are two EES agreements, OVS-ES and CASA-EES.

The minimum points of 300 units to start the EES Agreement is there to separate it from the smaller OVS-ES Agreement (under 1000 FTE)
    Both agreement types are based on FTEs, but the customer looking to buy under EES will have to buy enough software up to a minimum of 300 units before they are allowed to start that agreement

Regards
    Sukh

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 959 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Heaven forbid Microsoft should take this opportunity to simplify licensing, huh?

After all these posts and different announcements and everything I think I'm still just as confused as I was at the start.

Thank Post
    Hi

@Sonofsanta - I agree it can be very confusing. However, if you do have any other question let me know and I'll try and help. The above was from Microsoft when I spoke with them.

Regards
    Sukh

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Just to point out that most institutions will actually be under the Open Value Subscription Educational Solution (OVS-ES).
    This RM page explains it pretty well, especially the table under the features section.
    Thanks.

That's a condensed version of the EES Licensing Guide. But much clearer. I'd recommend that everyone reads it.

I'm still not clear on the difference between Work At Home (WAH) and Home Use Program (HUP) rights, though. Except that HUP is apps only and WAH is OS and apps.
    Last edited by OverWorked; 3rd March 2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: added more

Thank Post
    Hi

@Overworked

For no additional license cost, the institution’s faculty and staff can take advantage of Work At Home (WAH) rights for any of the application, system, and CAL products you order for institution use. With these rights, the primary user of a campus desktop PC can use the licensed product on a home desktop PC for work purposes only. Users are not licensed to use the WAH licensed product at home for personal use. Distribution options for work at home software are similar to the options detailed below for Student Option.

The Home Use Program (HUP), a benefit of the Microsoft Software Assurance coverage included with the agreement is also available. With HUP, faculty and staff members can get Microsoft Office system software to use on their home desktop PCs for both work and personal use at a nominal cost. Providing the HUP licensed product is easy for the institution. Once the institution’s Software Assurance benefits administrator activates the benefit, individual faculty and staff members can order and pay for shipping of their licensed product online. Employees can now also download their HUP software electronically. This reduces deployment cots and import duties, and is a “green” alternative. In addition, a customer whose faculty are using Office products at home is more likely to renew their subscription. Please note that institutions are not permitted to provide licensed product with the same title to any individual faculty or staff member using both HUP and WAH.

Regards
    Sukh

17. Thanks to sukh from:

OverWorked (3rd March 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast