+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, EES & W7 upgrade licensing question in Technical; Since I will be moving over to the new EES scheme this opens up windows 7 upgrade options. After previously ...

Thank Post

EES & W7 upgrade licensing question

Since I will be moving over to the new EES scheme this opens up windows 7 upgrade options. After previously looking through the previous nightmare of W7 licensing (we didnt have a desktop agreement) I will need to reopen the can of worms again. All of our PCs are OEM and have XP professional on them (Dell OEM license). A few laptops have vista pro or even W7 pro but have been downgraded to XP.

When I take the EES scheme is the W7 upgrade simply a paperwork exercise? i.e. will I use a normal W7 MAK key (i'll probably set up a local KMS host in reality) that I get from MVLS, create my relevant images (in the new W7 way) and away I go? Obviously each PC upgraded will need their rather tattered OEM XP pro sticker in place.

Coincidentally, what is the cheapest available OS that qualifies for upgrade to W7? (I dont mean ebay).

As an afterthought, is the W7 upgrade licence downgradable (in such way you could run office 2003 instead of 2010 should you so wish). I.e. I purchase a genuine XP home from ebay, put it on a brand new machine, but install our normal XP pro image on a machine utilising the license path of W7 upgrade option (downgraded to XP pro)?

Thank Post
    On my existing schools agreement I have been give a KMS and MAK key for Windows 7 however it's easier to just use KMS. Get that setup then deploy Windows 7 as normal.

From what I've been made aware from suppliers you can have any valid Microsoft OS and it can be upgraded, for example some recent machines I've purchased came with Vista Basic to lower the costs of the machine. As long as it's a valid license you should be fine. You can use previous versions of the software, i'm licensed for Windows 7 here however i'm currently still running Windows XP (until the summer hopefully). The same with Office, we're licensed for Office 2010 however i'm running Office 2007 as at the time of deployment Office 2010 wasn't officially supported by Capita.

Thank Post
    List of qualifying OS's:

Microsoft Volume Licensing - Product Licensing Search

(Academic Column on second table)

Thank Post
    I guess I shouldnt have gotten rid of all those windows 98 licences 10 years ago

It is interesting that W7 starter, XP starter are ok but vista starter isnt.

Thank Post
    Ha, I thought about chucking my Windows 98 licences - but I filed them instead. Handy for the few non-OEM machines.

Thank Post
    When Looking at that page and looking at the academic column, it doesn't specify EES, it does specify schools agreement buts that's now retired.

Do you think this document is still current?

When we purchase new machines even to this day we ask for the cheapest base license and we are able to get vista basic licenses far cheaper than a Windows 7 professional base license. As our supplier still ships with the Vista license I want to ensure that with our EES we can upgrade to Windows 7 Enterprise with just the Vista Basic license.

As is usual with Microsoft Licensing, there never is clear cut information about this...Any one care to shed any light on this??

Thanks

Thank Post
    Hi ranj,

I've sent you a PM

Cheers

Luke

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ranj View Post
    When Looking at that page and looking at the academic column, it doesn't specify EES, it does specify schools agreement buts that's now retired.

Do you think this document is still current?

When we purchase new machines even to this day we ask for the cheapest base license and we are able to get vista basic licenses far cheaper than a Windows 7 professional base license. As our supplier still ships with the Vista license I want to ensure that with our EES we can upgrade to Windows 7 Enterprise with just the Vista Basic license.

As is usual with Microsoft Licensing, there never is clear cut information about this...Any one care to shed any light on this??

Thanks
    Im fairly sure this is ok - it is just taking a while to get all the documentation updated. @tbush can you confirm?

Thank Post
    I thought EES was "education solutions" as in Enrolment for Education Solutions (It seems that EES is the overall scheme name, OVS-ES is the internal name for less than 1000 FTE it seems). The note underneath states "Academic" includes Education Solutions so that document is correct. Thats how I read it anyway.

Thank Post
    Microsoft Volume Licensing - Product Licensing Search
    Academic includes Campus and School Agreement, Open Value Subscription – Education Solutions, Select - Academic, and Open - Academic Programs

So EES and OVS-ES agreements are classed as Academic, meaning you can upgrade from any of the o/s's included in the Academic Column on the table at the above link

Paul
    Internal Schools Business Manager - Microsoft Ltd

11. Thanks to paulnharris from:

ranj (9th June 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread