+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, Staff taking ownership of laptops in Technical; So long story short, because I just want a quick answer: one of our Art teachers has had a Science ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,454 Times in 1,000 Posts
    Blog Entries

Staff taking ownership of laptops

So long story short, because I just want a quick answer: one of our Art teachers has had a Science laptop for a good long time, and Science asked for it back, she had a panic, blah blah blah. Science are now asking us to evaluate whether it's worth them just getting a new one. Not my money, not my problem. So laptop in question could be transferred permanently to staff member's ownership.

Said laptop hasn't got Windows licencing sticker on it for some reason, don't know why, presumably came with licence anyway. Given that, if the staff member takes the laptop, do we have to wipe the school's installation of Windows off the HDD? Or because the school is formally signing it over, is it ok with the current install left on it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,918 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Simple answer - yes. If you give the laptop to someone, and they now personally own it, all software licensed to the school must be removed.

If there's no license sticker on the laptop, you are best putting them in touch with the manufacturer who could give details of what version of Windows the machine was licensed for, and then they can contact Microsoft to see if they can get hold of some replacement details.

Leaving Windows on there using your volume license is not allowed. This is one of the reasons with DBAN all laptops that we get rid of when they leave the school.

3. Thanks to localzuk from:

sonofsanta (8th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,409 Times in 1,693 Posts
    If it is OEM then the windows install goes with the machine, doesn't it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    But OEM sticker with associated serial key is missing, alas :/

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Only the version that came with it. So most likely XP Home, and the laptop will, i'm guessing, be running XP Pro VL.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Only the version that came with it. So most likely XP Home, and the laptop will, i'm guessing, be running XP Pro VL.
    Correct. And if it had the XP Home sticker on it, I'd just have reinstalled it with that anyway to be on the safe side. But with sticker (and thus key) missing it becomes infinitely more hassle. Might ask Science if they have the manuals and other assorted paperworks around, that might have the little certificate with it that would have the key on it...

Thank Post
    All our laptops came with XP pro so maybe you are lucky and yours did too. Or you can *presume* it did

9. Thanks to witch from:

sonofsanta (8th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    All our laptops came with XP pro so maybe you are lucky and yours did too. Or you can *presume* it did
    Even then, you still can't use a volume license key on a machine outside of your license agreement, as it has different checks and controls (ie. authorisation doesn't exist). It must be the OEM key used.

Thank Post
    Even then, you still can't use a volume license key on a machine outside of your license agreement, as it has different checks and controls (ie. authorisation doesn't exist). It must be the OEM key used.
    Oh yes, suppose so...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Another thing to take into account is 'transfer of electronic waste' which the laptop could well be classed as. You need to make sure you keep paperwork saying that all responsibilities for disposal of the laptop at the end of its useful life fall to the new owner and not yourselves, otherwise it'd still end up being your responsibility to deal with!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Another thing to take into account is 'transfer of electronic waste' which the laptop could well be classed as. You need to make sure you keep paperwork saying that all responsibilities for disposal of the laptop at the end of its useful life fall to the new owner and not yourselves, otherwise it'd still end up being your responsibility to deal with!
    Good thinking Batman - I'll make sure we get a quick one pager drafted up with words to that effect.

Best hope we have the paperwork still lying around then, else the teacher is going to have to spend £70+ on a Windows 7 disc, that won't run particularly well anyway. Fun times!

Cheers again.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You might want to go to HR and get the laptop back into the district's hands. This could set a precedence that allows staff to keep old hardware and you might find yourself responsible for wiping and setting up a stock load on every one that goes out the door. I work educational IT as well, and it is a standing policy that staff does not get to keep, or even buy old systems. We keep them for as long as their useful, then recycle them. In addition to that, before they go out to recycle the drives get pulled and I drill two holes in them.

Thank Post
    just as a thought, i would also check into the data protection side of this. obviously secure data regarding pupils etc is allowed on work equipment but then once it is transferred to the staff member, in the eyes of the law wouldnt that be considered storing it on staff's personal equipment? further to that as you have no control of said item, they could innocently pass it on at some point without wiping it. i only raise this as we all know recovery software can get things from formatted HDD's with ease.

I would imagine to keep in touch with that it would be a requirement to maybe replace the HDD in it?

Please correct if am wrong. random passing thought when i was reading this

Thank Post
    If the teacher is using it for educational purposes, why not get a new one for Science and let the teacher keep the one she has but with it remaining the schools property?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    If the teacher is using it for educational purposes, why not get a new one for Science and let the teacher keep the one she has but with it remaining the schools property?
    Main reason we don't do something like this is because of licensing. It'd be yet another device to license, asset manage, insure, support and maintain.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast