+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, Office 2010 Licensing in Technical; We are fully licensed on the MS Schools Agreement + Assurance. We issue staff laptops, which they also take home ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Office 2010 Licensing

We are fully licensed on the MS Schools Agreement + Assurance. We issue staff laptops, which they also take home with them. Are we allowed to let staff install office on a Desktop at home as well?

If not, Im sure Ive read of a discount offer which they can buy a copy of office through the School at a heavily discounted price. What is this called, and how to we enable it for the staff?

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is the staff use agreement which would allow you to put it on each staff members home machine but this is only allowed to be used for school work and requires the use of the school VLKs. This also means the school is responcible for enforcing this and enforcing the removal of the software if the staff leave.

The better and in my view only sane option is the HUP (Home Use Program). This is a SA benifit that you can activate for free so that staff can sign up and get a copy of Office for $15 with their own key and download. This can be used for personal stuff and puts the responcibility on MS for managing the licenses.

Microsoft Home Use Program - Only $15.00 for Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010. The software suite includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher, Access and more!

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

RabbieBurns (24th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!

How do we go about setting it up?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Its just a case of logging into your agreement on the MVLS site and activating the HUP software assurance benifit. After that it asks you for details such as the schools email domain. It then generates a code and an email which you can foward to your users. The teachers just have to sign up using the code and their school email address to verify that they are staff.

To their credit it really is quite easy and has worked well for us in all the schools I have activated it for.

6. 2 Thanks to SYNACK:

dgsmith (24th January 2011), RabbieBurns (24th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks.. Is this valid for students too or just staff? Is there a limit of how many staff can do it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There is a limit based on how many workstations are covered under your agreement and it only covers staff employed by the school. For the students there are other programs around like dreamspark (I think) that lets high school students sign up for cheap or free MS products. No solution for primaries though.

9. Thanks to SYNACK from:

RabbieBurns (24th January 2011)

Thank Post
    The link to the HUP for UK is here. I think for £8.95 that's a steal!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    15.00 AUD = 9.29766 GBP

and you lot think the UK have to pay more for everyting !!

:P

Thank Post
    I wouldn't get too upset over a difference of 35p Not like we pay over double for our petrol than Aus.. oh wait..
    I just activated our agreement for this now too after reading this thread and genuinelly didn't realise how cheap it was!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Wow, something that we get cheaper than the UK and Australia, I must contact our media immediatly
    10.00 NZD=4.78146 GBP

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    SYNACK, just another quick question..

What happens when the staff leave? Do they have to deactivate the software? I cant find anything written about it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They should as they are no longer staff but as far as I can tell it is up to them to do it rather than the responcibility of school it.

Thank Post
    You can also order media sets from your reseller for a fee. Students can buy copies of office for themselves under the Student Select scheme, or you can add student licenses to your schools agreement.

Thank Post
    Thanks Synack for some great info. It's always a bit confusing with the various different MS usage rights. We've been reinvestigating those because in March MS are introducing a new licensing scheme (EES) in an attempt to make it easier for schools to make sure they are properly licensed. It should work out cheaper for most schools too as it's based on staff FTE count, not on students. The documentation differentiates between "Work at Home Rights" (WAH) which allows staff to use Office, and server and CALs at home for the express purpose of preparing work for school, at no additional cost, and "Home Use Program Rights" (HUP) which is for applications (like Office) only. That's the one which lets you buy very cheap licences for your staff to put on their home computers, and it's interesting that a staff member cannot have Office under WAH and HUP at the same time - it's one or the other. I think (but please do check!) that the schemes under EES are the same as the current School and Campus Enrolment versions. Here are a couple of links which might help: Work at Home licenses for Microsoft Academic Volume Licensing Customers is for WAH and Microsoft Volume Licensing - Microsoft Software Assurance Benefits - Home Use Program is for HUP.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread