+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation ? in Technical; Hi All, I'd like to install VMware VSphere Essentials with SQL Server 2008 Express Edition (freeware), for the Windows Server ...

Thank Post

Question Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation ?

Hi All,

I'd like to install VMware VSphere Essentials with SQL Server 2008 Express Edition (freeware), for the Windows Server 2008 R2, is it possible if i run the Foundation version ?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...oundation.aspx
    my goal is to get the cheapest possible solution to run ESXi managed with vSphere

Thanks.
    Last edited by ChrisH; 30th December 2010 at 10:52 AM.

Thank Post
    From what that page says it is an OEM version and only comes pre-installed on new hardware. It also seems to say it is for a single server network so it's like an even more basic version of small business server.

3. Thanks to ChrisH from:

albertwt (30th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    From what that page says it is an OEM version and only comes pre-installed on new hardware. It also seems to say it is for a single server network so it's like an even more basic version of small business server.
    Yes, I'm about to built very cheap server to host my VCenter server 4, that is why I want to know if Windows Server 2008 Foundation can be used as the Vcenter along with SQL Server 2008 Express.

Thank Post
    Foundation is a CAL Free version of the 2008 R2Server OS.
    It is fully featured and can even be a Active Directory DC if required however the maximum number of user accounts is 15 and that includes any service accounts such as SQL and AV etc.

I have used it for Line of Business applications servers in an SBS environment and it works fine. I also have used it as an RDP Server for App-V (still requires RD Cals though)

The user limit makes it impractical for any domain membership with more than 10 or so users. (Allowing for service accounts)

In my case I have an SBS 2003 Domain with 10 users, but Sophos, Backup Exec and other services made the Foundation Server complain.
    All I wanted was for 10 users to connect to a bespoke database held on a simple share so I just kept Foundation as a stand alone server and created a single user account on the local machine that all of the users use to attach to the share.
    Works fine for me and at £140 GBP it's a cheap way of doing it but it is an OEM product and should be purchased with new hardware.

The other system I used it on was as the RDP server to provide remote access for a branch office to reach a database app using App-V which works perfectly.

Here is the Official Blurb....
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation is licensed by user accounts. You may create up to 15 user accounts that can access and use the server software. Each User Account must be assigned to one user, and each User Account permits one user, using any device, to access and use the server software on the licensed server. Users may be reassigned a User Account at any time from user to user provided the reassignment does not result in more than 15 User Accounts at any one time, regardless of the connection method. You may use Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation in an Active Directory provided the domain is configured for a maximum of 15 individual users and is the root of the forest.

Because Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation is licensed in this way, you do not require Windows Server client access licenses (CALs). This also makes Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation much more cost effective for small businesses. Although Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation does not require Windows Server CALs, TS CALs or Rights Management CALs are required to use those server roles on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation–based server. The user/device limit for RMS and RDS CALs is 15.

Expected Behavior
    Being licensed for 15 users Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation has the following expected behavior when joined to existing domains.

The system displays a warning message on the console if the number of users exceeds 15, or if added into an existing domain with greater than 15 users.

The server running Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation can only be joined at the root of the domain and can’t be used to create child domains. In case joined to a child domain or used to create a child domain the server will display a warning and if not rectified will shut down in 10 days.

The domain containing Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation must not have trust relations with another domain. In case the domain does have trust relationships the server will display a warning message and if not rectified will shut down in 10 days.

The above behavior makes Windows Server Foundation an ideal product for a small business with less than 15 users, for businesses that are greater than 15 users we recommend the use of Windows Server Standard or Enterprise depending on their exact requirements.

If you are a small business running Windows Server Foundation and experience the above mentioned conditions we recommend that you upgrade to Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. You can obtain a copy of Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard from your reseller.

6. Thanks to m25man from:

albertwt (9th January 2011)

Thank Post
    ah so the limitation is max. 15 users "The user limit makes it impractical for any domain membership with more than 10 or so users. (Allowing for service accounts)
    " thanks for the info mate.

Cheers,

Albert

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread