+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, Licensing changes for schools - there's good news coming at BETT in Technical; Sorry, not so much a question, rather information regarding the MS licensing program. Licensing changes for schools - there's good ...
    Thank Post

Licensing changes for schools - there's good news coming at BETT

Sorry, not so much a question, rather information regarding the MS licensing program.

Licensing changes for schools - there's good news coming at BETT

Over the next few months, we are going to introduce some big changes to school licensing. It will make licensing simpler, and it will make it significantly cheaper for most schools in the UK. The big announcement of all of the detail will happen in January at BETT 2011 in London, but we're publishing some of the information a little earlier, so that you can think about it in your planning for next year's budget.

What changes are we making?

From the 1st March 2011, we are introducing a new licensing scheme for schools, called Enrolment for Education Solutions. Or EES for short. This is a (better!) alternative to the School Agreement subscription scheme.

•EES works on a single annual subscription payment, based on your Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) staff count, and what products you select. You can optionally license computers dedicated exclusively to one student, or computers owned by students. Today's School Agreement works by counting all of your computers.

•You have a choice of software that you can license across all of the computers, including Microsoft Office*, the Windows Upgrade, and the Client Access Licence (CAL) suites.

•You can then license additional software on some, or all, of these computers - eg Visio or Project

Why is it good for schools?

Firstly, costs will come down for most schools who use School Agreement, because you'll be counting staff, not computers. And in England, there's about two-thirds less staff than there are computers. We'll be able to tell you more about costs at BETT.

Useful links:

Licences for Schools
    Enrolment for Education Solutions (EES)

-ken

2. 2 Thanks to wagnerk:

Cache (29th December 2010), dwhyte85 (18th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Had read the blog post about it, nice to see some more information about it though.

One thing that caught my eye, are the Home Use/Work at Home rights included as standard rather then an additional subscription option?

Would be great if they were and am seriously considering pushing this for the next financial year!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    One thing that caught my eye, are the Home Use/Work at Home rights included as standard rather then an additional subscription option?
    If your a schools agreement customer, one of your benefits is Staff Home Use program, where they can purchase a copy for use at home for £9. Works well and a lot of our staff have taken up the offer now when they finally realised it wasn't a scam or something dodgy and it really was just like what we have at work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

6. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

wagnerk (30th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm really looking forward to this info. If it does reduce the costs, it may mean our school will end up moving to 2k8 r2/Windows 7 rather than introducing more Linux machines.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    If your a schools agreement customer, one of your benefits is Staff Home Use program, where they can purchase a copy for use at home for £9. Works well and a lot of our staff have taken up the offer now when they finally realised it wasn't a scam or something dodgy and it really was just like what we have at work.
    We don't have a Schools Agreement at the moment, all our licences have been purchased as Select.

As we're starting to move (hopefully) towards Windows 7 over the summer and Office 2010, it's hopefully going to work out the best option.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Did this announcement actually happen and it so can someone point me at the information - I haven't been able to find any detail only vague comments in line with the posts made before BETT. I've contacted our channel partner but am still waiting for a reply

11. Thanks to Hecate from:

mcnallyfc (18th January 2011)

Thank Post
    After same info

Thank Post
    Does anyone have any clarification on the FTE staff count, the only details I've found are for the US version of the agreement and it states that it may be different outide the US.

Thank Post
    We asked at the MS stand and I think something had gone wrong as they didn't have any information there but could talk about it. It was as expected, per member of staff licensing (with some clever so many hours working such that gardeners and the like don't get included) with a higher cost per unit but you buy less of them. They will still allow per computer licensing as Special schools were finding they were losing out as they often have more staff than computers. Same terms come attached with home use.

I'll see if the NM remembers the numbers they were batting around as I couldn't quite hear.

Thank Post
    Just found the answer:
    Under this agreement you can license a single school, multiple schools or an entire school system, such as a local authority. You count your Full-Time Equivalent staff once per year, so you don't have to track every single computer in your establishment. Full time equivalent are staff who work more than 200 hours per year in your school.
    Now 200 hours per year works out at 5 hours per week term time! Wouldn't exactly call that full time

Thank Post
    It also says multiple schools can be licensed, anyone else got their renewal due in March for their Schools Agreement, see if we can get a bulk discount :-)

Thank Post
    here's what I had from Pugh earlier today
    We should have the pricing on the new MS agreement from next month so as soon as I have it I’ll let you know. Could you advise on the number of FTE staff that you have there at the School please (anyone that works over 200 hours a year excluding any manual workers that don’t have access to PC’s) and I’ll then be able to forward over an idea of the cost for you next year.
    Which supports what's been posted above!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    It also says multiple schools can be licensed, anyone else got their renewal due in March for their Schools Agreement, see if we can get a bulk discount :-)
    Edugeek Schools Group?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast