+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, Licensing changes for schools - there's good news coming at BETT in Technical; Originally Posted by teejay Another bargain is the System Centre Suite, 18 for std, 50 for ent: Comprehensive solution for ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Another bargain is the System Centre Suite, 18 for std, 50 for ent:
    Comprehensive solution for end-to-end management of physical and low-density virtual server environments that includes the Enterprise Server management licenses for Operations Manager 2007 R2, Configuration Manager 2007 R2, Data Protection Manager 2010, Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2; Service Manager 2010; the Management Server license for Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2; the Management Server License for Data Protection Manager 2010; and, rights to manage up to four (4) Virtual Operating System Environments (VOSEs) plus the Physical Operating System Environment (POSE) provided the POSE is limited to supporting the virtualization capability.
    If you're virtualising and using Windows Datacenter licenses its cheaper to purchase System Center Management Suite Datacenter (done per processor) and like Windows Server Datacenter its licensed you for unlimited VMs. With the enterprise CAL pack it also means that your licensed for all client/server management licenses (MLs - like CALs!) for all of the system center products

We've just had a like-for-like quote on our Schools agreement from Insight. Now we license everything from MS (servers, TMG, SCCM, desktop enterprise pack, UAG, Exchange, SQL, VDI stuff) through our schools agreement. We're currently in year 2 of a 3 year schools agreement deal, so pricing is more or less what it was for us when we signed up in 2009. We've had it confirmed that we can move out of our schools agreement without penalty to EES at our renewal, and our previous 19.5k spend is currently coming in at just over 8k :O

Thank Post
    How does the SQL cals work, is that part of enterprise or do you have to buy a cal for each device/ user who access the SQL server?

Thank Post
    You buy a per processor licence for SQL.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ful56_uk View Post
    How does the SQL cals work, is that part of enterprise or do you have to buy a cal for each device/ user who access the SQL server?
    From the quote I've got it appears that you can license SQL CALs per FTE to cover all of your devices.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    From the quote I've got it appears that you can license SQL CALs per FTE to cover all of your devices.
    do you know how it works with Terminal Server licenses?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    do you know how it works with Terminal Server licenses?
    Well our schools agreement also include the VDI Premium Suite w/MDOP which is licensed per device per month, and its now dropped to FTE*12 number of licenses. The VDI Prem Suite includes the RDS CAL (What) which replaced the TS CAL so I imagine this covers all of our devices, like the Desktop Suite (especially since this is a per device license and we're buying it per FTE!). For us it's coming in at about 7.30/yr/FTE.

7. Thanks to Soulfish from:

CyberNerd (19th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Just to clarify, with SQL you can either licence by end user CALS or by per physical processor on the SQL server which doesn't require end user CALS.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,415 Posts
    Is there anything covering multipoint server?

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Is there anything covering multipoint server?

Ben
    Yes, there's a Mulipoint CAL.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ful56_uk View Post
    You can buy them to cover all you machines or you can cover a small number number of them if you don't need it site wide (The cost per unit is about 3x higher to do this)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just had a read through all this and it's left me confused

I cover an EDB School with a lone vanilla domain running OS MS Server 2008 Standard Edition and something in the region of 100 client machines. Plus a Primary School with a vanilla domain running OS MS Server 2003 R2 and in the region of 70 client machines.

Both sites include a dedicated Server 2003 set up and running as a workgroup covering SIMS.

All CAL's are up to date and client licences are mainly the ones that came with the machines when they were purchased.

Licences for MS Office Software etc are purchased as needed to cover the machines through a third party provider under a select agreement from the LEA; the LEA also provides AV for free.

Will the changes talked about in this thread make any difference to the way we currently cover this?

Also, I'm thinking that rather than spending many, many hours building a client back to function if it fails that imaging is likely to be the way to go moving forward. Presumably to do imaging we would need different licences from the OEM ones currently existing with the client machines?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The existing licensing options will remain in place - EES is a new scheme for schools.

If you buy licenses outright, you can continue to do so.

On the imaging point - if you're using OEM licenses on machines, and not volume licenses (eg Select, Schools Agreement or EES) then you're not allowed to image the machines, as it isn't covered by the OEM license (from what i've been told anyway).

14. Thanks to localzuk from:

speckytecky (6th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Localzuk.

Not wishing to hijack the thread but hopefully something that will be accepted as related - I have been trawling the licensing paperwork of one of my schools recently and find that some licences have been purchased through the Select Agreement (which I understand it under the umbrella of the LEA) but others on an Open Agreement - the latter have a start and end date listed. How does that all work and would there be a central record for MS licences that I could query to establish how many we need to buy?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Open licenses are perpetual, just like Select. Why they are Open I don't know, as Select is the one to use for education perpetual purchases.

If you've got Select and Open licenses, then you have the right to use imaging and the right to transfer licenses to different machines.

The start and end date listed may be for the software assurance aspect that may have been purchased at the time (this is not a perpetual item, but is something you pay to subscribe to.)

I'd imagine the MS have some form of central database, so speaking to their education licensing team may help.

Thank Post
    For those looking at EES in a VM environment, i've just been reading this document:

Download details: Microsoft Volume Licensing Brief: Licensing Microsoft Server Products in Virtual Environments

It's a well written guide to the various licenses and how they apply in a VM environment (per CPU or per server with CALS).

Peter

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast