+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, Licensing changes for schools - there's good news coming at BETT in Technical; Microsoft Schools pricelists usually come through after the first 4 or 5 days of the month, so I'm not expecting ...

Thank Post
    Microsoft Schools pricelists usually come through after the first 4 or 5 days of the month, so I'm not expecting anything until Friday.... Would be nice if MS had given us an idea of what the price would be though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I need to follow this up with a phone call, but an email I sent out just before I left has had a reply.

I've been told that to set up an agreement, you need to purchase atleast 100 Education desktop pack (so an FTE of 100) and then any additional products you want/need are licenced on a per licence basis.

I can understand the minimum order of 100 desktop licences, but then the second part seems to defeat the whole point of the FTE count (or am I missing the point?).

Don't know if anyone else has heard anything along those lines yet or not?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just followed it up and some quite good news.

Minimum order of 5 FTE Desktop units (so effectively 15 points I think) and a price of approx £40 per educational desktop suite.

4. Thanks to Cache from:

Iain.Faulkner (3rd February 2011)

Thank Post
    What can i do if my agreement falls short? We have had our reminders and currently awaiting quotes to come back but i do not want to sign up for a new agreement with the new licensing arriving a month later!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You don't sign up for a new agreement. Before the old one runs out you apply for an extension of one or two months, whatever it takes to cover you until the new scheme is running.

Thank Post
    Just echoing points covered in this post. Pricing has now been released and it looks very good. We think the vast majority of schools will save money. One of the MS guys told me at BETT that if anyone's existing agreement is due to end before EES starts next month you can ask them to extend your existing agreement to cover you rather than being forced to take out another year of the existing plan. They were hoping to do that extension for free. Work At Home rights are included free, and since the EES scheme is covered by Software Assurance, you will still be able to invoke the Home Use Program to buy low cost licences for staff if you want to. HUP gives a lot more freedom in terms of what staff are allowed to use it for. If you already have a School or Campus Enrolment it looks like you automatically qualify for EES should you want it, and schools who haven't been involved in this type of scheme before just have to have a minimum number of systems in school. That's still slightly unclear, but so far we haven't had any problems.

Thank Post
    What is the pricing then? im still waiting on these

Thank Post
    Where is the best place to go to get information on this? At the moment we just purchase out right the licences we want but I think this will suit us better as we upgrade the network. Would I be best to go direct to Microsoft or contact a reseller?
    Rich

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnallyfc View Post
    What is the pricing then? im still waiting on these
    I know and I'm sorry I can't give you all of the pricing today. If you could see the price list you'd understand why. It's hundreds of lines of product codes which all need sorting out and grouping in sensible ways. Just to give you an idea though: The minimum "points" value of a purchase in the USA is 300 points. Although it varies around the world we're pretty sure the minimum in the UK will also remain at 300. If you go for the core desktop package (that's Office, Core CAL, and a Windows 7 upgrade, all with software assurance) each licence is worth 3 points - ie the minimum purchase is 100 of those. Price wise that should come out at around £38/39 per licence, so £3900 per annum. Beyond the minimum, the price is calculated by adding up your FTE staff rather than the number of devices you have. The number of devices doesn't matter with EES because as a member you are agreeing to an institution-wide deployment of that core desktop suite. So if you have 110 FTE staff and 250 PCs you pay 110 x £39. Also, Office for Mac is included now, so if you have Macs in school you no longer need to buy separate Office for Mac licences. On the Mac front though, keep in mind that the Windows 7 part of the desktop suite is an upgrade to W7 ONLY, not a full licence. It still allows you to run older Windows versions if you want to, but you would need Windows licences for your Macs in order to dual boot or VM them. It probably seems a bit strange at first but in theory it should be much easier to work out how many licences to buy as you don't need to work out how many computers you have physically working for you. More information as we get it but for now, this is the best guide we've found, explaining the FTE calculation and all the terms and conditions http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ram_Guide.docx

11. Thanks to Robbocop from:

mcnallyfc (4th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky_Dicky View Post
    Where is the best place to go to get information on this? At the moment we just purchase out right the licences we want but I think this will suit us better as we upgrade the network. Would I be best to go direct to Microsoft or contact a reseller?
    Rich
    Either would be fine. We are a reseller, so I'm obviously going to recommend that you contact a reseller Have a look at the program notes first http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ram_Guide.docx but please do contact a reseller to make sure everything is factored in before submitting anything to management.

Thank Post
    So for schools it's going to be at least £3900? (£39 x minimum quantity of 100) Or have I misunderstood?

Thank Post
    Depending on what you buy, yes. The minimum as it stands is 300 points. Different products are worth different points but I offered the core desktop suite example as a typical purchase for a school. Bear in mind that EES won't suite everyone, just as the current Schools Enrolment doesn't suit everyone. That scheme is still active, by the way, so anyone on it is going to have to compare costs. Schools with loads of devices and loads of students will benefit, as will grouped consortium schools and LA's. Smaller schools or schools with lower IT provision probably won't though. As I say, resellers are only just getting the information through so we're still working it all out and feeding back to Microsoft on this. We had no idea what the pricing would be until yesterday.

Thank Post
    Agree with the above - pricing is now available and it is good, however everyones scenario will be slightly different so its worth spending time to make sure you have all the information that you need.
    Last edited by KeithMPhoenix; 4th February 2011 at 02:52 PM.

Thank Post
    At the moment we pay around 8.5k annually on SA. Am I to assume that, as a ballpark figure, we'd be looking at 100x39 as noted above by Edu-IT (even though our FTE is only double figures), to equal around 4k annually? If so, and if this means we are effectively more than halving our subscription licence, it looks very promising!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbocop View Post
    I know and I'm sorry I can't give you all of the pricing today. If you could see the price list you'd understand why. It's hundreds of lines of product codes which all need sorting out and grouping in sensible ways. Just to give you an idea though: The minimum "points" value of a purchase in the USA is 300 points. Although it varies around the world we're pretty sure the minimum in the UK will also remain at 300. If you go for the core desktop package (that's Office, Core CAL, and a Windows 7 upgrade, all with software assurance) each licence is worth 3 points - ie the minimum purchase is 100 of those. Price wise that should come out at around £38/39 per licence, so £3900 per annum. Beyond the minimum, the price is calculated by adding up your FTE staff rather than the number of devices you have. The number of devices doesn't matter with EES because as a member you are agreeing to an institution-wide deployment of that core desktop suite. So if you have 110 FTE staff and 250 PCs you pay 110 x £39. Also, Office for Mac is included now, so if you have Macs in school you no longer need to buy separate Office for Mac licences. On the Mac front though, keep in mind that the Windows 7 part of the desktop suite is an upgrade to W7 ONLY, not a full licence. It still allows you to run older Windows versions if you want to, but you would need Windows licences for your Macs in order to dual boot or VM them. It probably seems a bit strange at first but in theory it should be much easier to work out how many licences to buy as you don't need to work out how many computers you have physically working for you. More information as we get it but for now, this is the best guide we've found, explaining the FTE calculation and all the terms and conditions http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ram_Guide.docx
    The minimum over 100 licences was initially mentioned to me, however I've since been told (as mentioned above) that it doesn't apply and that the minimum is 5.

Haven't been able to get anyone else to confirm the 5 though (although slightly worrying that you've now mentioned the 100 figure that was first mentioned to me).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast