+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, Forefront licensing in Technical; Right, I don't want to enrol in the Microsoft partner program, nor commit to anything just yet, but where o ...
    Thank Post

Forefront licensing

Right, I don't want to enrol in the Microsoft partner program, nor commit to anything just yet, but where o where can I simply say I have X clients, X users, X servers and get a price for Forefront?

Any help appreciated!

2. Thanks to quietriot1983 from:

albertwt (7th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Talk to a licensing partner. They should be able to give you a full breakdown of all prices and show the comparison between standard pricing and licenses you are able to obtain through the different license options (Select, Campus, SA etc). I would recommend either Pheonix Software or Pugh.

4. 3 Thanks to mb2k01:

albertwt (7th January 2011), KeithMPhoenix (21st December 2010), quietriot1983 (20th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Pricing for this is a nightmare - we use Forefront on our servers (it's really good and has a small footprint).
    You can't just buy x client licences. It has to be x client licences over the duration of your Select (or other) agreement, plus you have to buy and SQL 2005 licence (it doesn't work with SQL 2008) and i think there is also a licence required for the management console.
    It does work out cheaper in the long run for a large organisation, but not really for a few machines (we were on the low side - 30 licences, i think, so didn't work out so cheap). You can save money if you already have an SQL 2005 licence (it also won't work on Express or Workgroup editions)

6. Thanks to Richie1972 from:

Thank Post
    Inquired with both Pugh and Phoenix before the Xmas break, and still awaiting a reply from either...

8. Thanks to quietriot1983 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stpaulscrompton View Post
    Inquired with both Pugh and Phoenix before the Xmas break, and still awaiting a reply from either...
    Hmm. Strange you should say that!
    In that case, try my new favourite (just got our Schools Agreement) - Softcat.
    I'll PM you the details of my contact there (she may not deal with your area, but I'm sure he will be prompt at passing it on!)

10. 2 Thanks to mb2k01:

albertwt (7th January 2011), quietriot1983 (7th January 2011)

Thank Post
    I had a look at 2010 it said it needs System Center Manager Console do I have to install full console? will system center essentials work with it?

12. Thanks to irsprint84 from:

Thank Post
    I've always found Viglen to be a) very knowledgeable about licenses and b) very aggressive on pricing.

14. Thanks to bodminman from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    Hmm. Strange you should say that!
    In that case, try my new favourite (just got our Schools Agreement) - Softcat.
    I'll PM you the details of my contact there (she may not deal with your area, but I'm sure he will be prompt at passing it on!)
    Have to say softcat totally screwed up with us 1. The bloke didn't seem to know what he was talking about and 2. We got to having had it all signed off rang him to give the purchase oder and he said we couldn't do it.

In the.end we used trustmarque who where super and got our 65k!

16. Thanks to glennda from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Have to say softcat totally screwed up with us 1. The bloke didn't seem to know what he was talking about and 2. We got to having had it all signed off rang him to give the purchase oder and he said we couldn't do it.

In the.end we used trustmarque who where super and got our 65k!
    Wow. I guess it goes to show how individual employees can represent a company!
    The lady I've dealt with (and PM'd to the OP) gave completely the opposite impression - knew exactly what she was doing, questioned whether I would prefer alternatives, went through benefits of Software Assurance to make sure we got max value (even though I knew and used previously I decided to let her continue - she seemed quite in to it!)
    Also fully aware of EES and looking to do a short term extension for another school I represent until details on EES are finalised/released.

18. Thanks to mb2k01 from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    Wow. I guess it goes to show how individual employees can represent a company!
    The lady I've dealt with (and PM'd to the OP) gave completely the opposite impression - knew exactly what she was doing, questioned whether I would prefer alternatives, went through benefits of Software Assurance to make sure we got max value (even though I knew and used previously I decided to let her continue - she seemed quite in to it!)
    Also fully aware of EES and looking to do a short term extension for another school I represent until details on EES are finalised/released.
    It does but unfortunately the sales guys don't tend to pass customers on to other staff!

20. Thanks to glennda from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread