+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, XP downgrade discs on Win7 machines in Technical; I bought a machine recently from one of my normal suppliers and although I'd asked for one with an XP ...

Thank Post

XP downgrade discs on Win7 machines

I bought a machine recently from one of my normal suppliers and although I'd asked for one with an XP downgrade disc, it came without and my supplier said that MS have stopped anyone selling machines with downgrade discs with them

Can anyone back this up or was I just being fobbed off

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Nope, you're not being fobbed off. Your supplier is correct.

Thank Post
    had the same issue! seems xp downgrade has gone the way of the dodo

Thank Post
    Just found a piece of paper in the box
    "
    Use of Microsoft Windows XP
    End of October 2010 Microsoft stops the shipment of OEM Downgrade Media fro Microsoft Windows XP together with a system.
    "
    (bold is on original paperwork)

It goes onto say that I can order downgrade media (at a cost) until the end of July 2011 and of course that I can use XP Mode in Win7

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    MS still let you download XP from MVLS. Of course you need a correct key to work with the downgrade option.

Thank Post
    phone the manufacturer directly. some still offer the downgrade discs.

Bev

Thank Post
    I know htis is an old thread, but I am having a nightmare with this issue. I am quite furious that we appear to be forced to upgrade before we choose too. We are a small school, and everything is currently on XP using Ranger to manage desktops etc, with Server 2003.

Well, I ended up buying an Windows 7 Acer Veriton as a test case. I was assured it would run in XP mode, but if not Microsoft offer downgrade rights to XP.

However, I managed to join it to the domain but it's not picking up user desktops and none of the printers seem to want to install, plus it's not going to be the same look & feel as the rest or the machines, and in this situation that was an issue. So, I decided to downgrade it to XP BUT it simply won't install XP.

Acer haven't provided an XP disk, but I have a selection of XP disks from other manufacturers. (HP, Toshiba, Samsung, Stone)
    It doesn't seem to matter which disk I use, it appears to start and then it just stalls after a few minutes.

So I don't know what to do - do I spend time trying to get W7 to work, or trying to install XP. I've spent far too much time on both options so far and had no
    success with either.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was assured it would run in XP mode
    Do you know what XP Mode is? It wont work just like an XP workstation, XP mode is a virtual machine running XP inside windows 7.

To be honest its time to move on, XP was replaced 5 years ago and Windows 7 was released 2 years ago. Thats a while in the IT world...

Bev

Thank Post
    I now know what XP mode is, but I didn't at the time. I was under the impression that it was 'dual boot', which some machines do appear to offer. I had also investigated XP downgrade rights, and felt assured that I was within my rights to put XP on the machine if it didn't do what I needed it too. However, that is proving difficult.

it's very easy to say 'move on', but I am the sole technician in a small school. 3 years ago we were sold server 2003 and 32 PCs for our IT suite which all run Windows XP. We also have around other desktops around school, and laptops used by staff. They are all on XP. I need to put a couple of computers in classrooms. It's not appropriate for them to be different to the rest of the school.

When the IT suite needs replacing in a couple of years, then I expect we will move to W7, but it's not something I want to do at the moment.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Blog Entries
    it's very easy to say 'move on', but I am the sole technician in a small school. 3 years ago we were sold server 2003 and 32 PCs for our IT suite which all run Windows XP. We also have around other desktops around school, and laptops used by staff. They are all on XP. I need to put a couple of computers in classrooms. It's not appropriate for them to be different to the rest of the school.
    ah that's nothing upgrading 20 servers and 700 clients this summer

Do you have any kind of microsoft volume licensing?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    I now know what XP mode is, but I didn't at the time. I was under the impression that it was 'dual boot', which some machines do appear to offer. I had also investigated XP downgrade rights, and felt assured that I was within my rights to put XP on the machine if it didn't do what I needed it too. However, that is proving difficult.

When the IT suite needs replacing in a couple of years, then I expect we will move to W7, but it's not something I want to do at the moment.
    I always thought with a VLK you could always downgrade w7 to XP provided you had the licences? Is that not the case?

Bev

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    I always thought with a VLK you could always downgrade w7 to XP provided you had the licences? Is that not the case?
    I don't have volume licensing, but you are allowed to downgrade from W7, however I can't get the media to do it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,696 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    I don't have volume licensing, but you are allowed to downgrade from W7, however I can't get the media to do it.
    You'll need to get a clean OEM or retail Windows XP disk and you will probably have problems finding drivers as some hardware built into todays PCs does not even have drivers that go back that far and if they do you need to track them down individually. Start working with 7, having a different machine is fine, the kids will cope and the teachers can deal. By solving the issues now with 7 you'll be set for the future and it also gives the teachers an opertunity to catch up with technology. TBH Windows 8 is sheduled for the end of this year so if you wait much longer the gap is going to be even bigger and will cause you even more hassel.

Thank Post
    If you have access to MVLS you can generally download XP install ISOs from there. Thats the ISO I used to use. We have moved over from XP to W7 in phases. The only downside is having two sets of profiles for everyone (mandatory so not an issue with profile migration between OS).

Ref your original issue with desktops, if you DONT redirect desktops then the W7 profiles are .V2 profiles therefore different to the original ones - they DO NOT share between V2 and original. If you redirect desktops (which you should think about doing!) then I dont know - it works for us with mixed OS PCs (50% W7 after this summer, another 25% at christmas, remainder next summer). If the OS is 64 bit then you will need 64 bit drivers installing - on a 32 bit OS you can "push" the drivers from client to the server if necessary.

Modern machines may well have no XP drivers available short of checking the website you may not be able to install XP on some machines.
    Last edited by KK20; 26th July 2011 at 08:46 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hot topic this one.

As well as Edu we have a mountain of Commercial clients all reluctantly facing a full network upgrade to W7.

BUT

If anyone is interested in possibly some of the last XP Pro/W7 Dual load laptops in existence

Acer TravelMate 5742
    Core i3 - 2.4Ghz
    3GB DDR3 RAM
    320GB HDD
    Webcam..........£360 Ex VAT

Joe

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast