+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, Sharepoint CALS/Server on schools agreement in Technical; Can someone give me a ballpark figure on sharepoint costs, and what cals we need etc? under schools agreement e.g. ...
    Thank Post

Sharepoint CALS/Server on schools agreement

Can someone give me a ballpark figure on sharepoint costs, and what cals we need etc?
    under schools agreement

e.g.

sharepoint server.
    All machines in school accessing it
    + Staff and students accessing it via home

thanks

Thank Post
    Server ~ £240
    Standard CAL ~ £2.80
    Enterprise CAL ~ £3.60

Standard CAL (Student)~ 28p
    Enterprise CAL (Student)~ £2.20

Covering your school machines under a schools agreement gives staff work at home rights, so no need for separate CAL's for them.

It may be worth you waiting for the new EES schools agreements next March (MS Schools Agreement - Good news for Schools)

Thank Post
    thanks mate.

I am right in thinking, schools agreement covers me internally anyway, device cals come with it, and then external connector covers me externally so I don't need anything else except the server itself?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    thanks mate.

I am right in thinking, schools agreement covers me internally anyway, device cals come with it, and then external connector covers me externally so I don't need anything else except the server itself?
    theres an option which is cheaper overall if using loads of items such as exchange, sharepoint etc which bundles them together rather then buying them seperate.

We just set this up for our new schools agreement. ill find out what its called

Thank Post
    i've got it, its called the base it comes with exchange, windows and sharepoint cals. + Windows Upgrade + Office

my questions is, surely the external connector covers you for external and you don;t need student cals as well, supplier is telling me you do but I'm not sure i believe them

Thank Post
    depends how you interpret source
    An external user is a person who is not an employee, or similar personnel of the company or its affiliates, and is not someone to whom you provide hosted services using the server software.
    the "or similar personnel" to include students then all you need is cals and no external connector this would only be needed if parents where to connect or other persons
    Last edited by glennda; 2nd December 2010 at 12:10 AM.

Thank Post
    just thought - if you are licensed per device then you will need the external connector as you can't mix between cals per user and cals per device!

Thank Post
    parents are covered under student cals!

thing is an external connector is less than half the price of 1500 student cals.

so it would be nice if it covered it.

then theres the VDA cals for citrix. aghhh!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    just thought - if you are licensed per device then you will need the external connector as you can't mix between cals per user and cals per device!
    we need the external connector yes,

the question is do i need the student cals if i buy the external connector?

staff apparently are covered under work at home rights,

Thank Post
    The Product Glenda is talking about is the Desktop package which costs ~ £27

You are correct, Staff would be covered by WAH rights and parents are covered by the student CALS.

External connectors cannot be used for students. I don't think there is an external connector for sharepoint anyway, only the 'Internet sites' license.

The Internet sites license is for Internet sites where as the Server/Cal licenses are for Intranet.

You can only use the Internet sites license if all content will be available to external users (i.e. anyone with internet access)

'The Server only licensing model is for external users only. Internal users can use this license only if all content, information, and applications are also accessible to external users. If the server has items that are for internal use only, those users require CALs, and their servers require licenses for SharePoint Server 2010.'
    http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/en-u...g-Details.aspx

You'd be looking at about £580 for this under a schools agreement or £1500 as an outright purchase.

More info about External Connectors:

External Connector
    'If your users are internal users with Active Directory (AD) accounts, there must be CALs (either per-user/per-device or per-server). There is no option. If they are external users—for example partners, customers, or vendors—who will authenticate in any way, then you can either provide CALs for those individuals as part of your per-user or per-server CALs, or you can use the External Connector license. The External Connector license allows an unlimited number of authenticated users, as long as those users are external. Again, you would do this for both the WSS front-end server and for the SQL Server if they're running on separate instances of Windows Server.'
    Last edited by SteveJ; 2nd December 2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Removed irrelavant quote

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    The Product Glenda is talking about is the Desktop package which costs ~ £27
    I know I buy every year

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do you need MOSS or the free Sharepoint Foundation? If the latter, then you don't need any licensing other than your standard windows server license.

Thank Post
    'The Server only licensing model is for external users only. Internal users can use this license only if all content, information, and applications are also accessible to external users. If the server has items that are for internal use only, those users require CALs, and their servers require licenses for SharePoint Server 2010.'
    Licensing Details
    that was the only relevant part of your post, basically as the students would be accessing content they need to authenticate for they need cals, question answered in one paragraph.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    that was the only relevant part of your post, basically as the students would be accessing content they need to authenticate for they need cals, question answered in one paragraph.
    Ok, sorry, Maybe it was a bit too long winded. I was trying to explain why you couldn't use an external connector and reasons why you might not be able to use the Internet sites license rather than just saying yes or no.

I was only trying to help

Thank Post
    Ok, sorry, Maybe it was a bit too long winded. I was trying to explain why you couldn't use an external connector and reasons why you might not be able to use the Internet sites license rather than just saying yes or no.

I was only trying to help
    I know mate, i know.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast