+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, Where to purchase Licenses. in Technical; Hell all. I have some new laptops that have no operating systems installed. What could be my best/cheapest option to ...

Thank Post

Where to purchase Licenses.

Hell all.

I have some new laptops that have no operating systems installed.

What could be my best/cheapest option to get XP or 7 licenses

Thanks John

Thank Post
    I'm afraid you'll need Full retail copies of Windows to be licensed properly. You're probably looking at 100 + VAT at least for Windows 7 Home Premium

I'd always suggest getting OEM licenses for Windows when you buy new machines. If you get Starter edition you can buy the much cheaper upgrade licenses to Pro then.

Thank Post
    Is this for business or pleasure?

Business wise, Ramesys are really very cheap as are Ollis (sp.?), all of the resellers on here will give competitive quotes though.

If you are to go and buy licenses for yourself, at home - it is quite expensive at PC World, etc. If you buy Windows 7 off of eBay... check you've got a legit copy.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I recently found Civica Services Ltd not actually bought anything through them yet but they handled my enquiry well, confirmed that our School was entitled under the Agreement in place with the LEA and SWGfL and gave me a very competitive price quote for licences.

Thank Post
    Hi Brickwall,

Your preferred reseller should be able to supply licensing for you. if you dont have a microsoft agreement already there is a minimum you need to purchase on your first one.
    This is of course assuming you are referring to some laptops for a business or a school. school pricing is much cheaper obviously.
    based on it being for a school and you do want windows professional the code you need to ask pricing for is FQC-02312 and you can expect to pay 50+ per license pending your reseller.
    The minimum you need to buy is 5 to start a new agreement with microsoft. once you have that and you are registered on the volume licensing website you will be able to download the .iso to burn to a disk and do the installs.

Thank Post
    +1 for civica and they provide good prices people find them hard to beat in our case.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Academia, Phoenix or Viglen I'd say. All 3 provide excellent service.

Thank Post
    This year I went with a company called SoftCat as they were the only people to be able to quote me less than 20k...
    Softcat | Home usually I find Pugh is pretty good for buying new stuff from though ... discounted software for education establishments

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco View Post
    Hi Brickwall,

Your preferred reseller should be able to supply licensing for you. if you dont have a microsoft agreement already there is a minimum you need to purchase on your first one.
    This is of course assuming you are referring to some laptops for a business or a school. school pricing is much cheaper obviously.
    based on it being for a school and you do want windows professional the code you need to ask pricing for is FQC-02312 and you can expect to pay 50+ per license pending your reseller.
    The minimum you need to buy is 5 to start a new agreement with microsoft. once you have that and you are registered on the volume licensing website you will be able to download the .iso to burn to a disk and do the installs.
    The problem is FQC-02312 is an upgrade.... If the laptops do not have a license to upgrade from you can't buy this. If you bought them you would be able to install them from a technical point of view, but you would not be licensed correctly.

10. Thanks to SteveJ from:

Poco (25th November 2010)

Thank Post
    ah yes i just noticed the no operating system line now. oops!. Cheers for clarifying it SteveJ.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread