+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, What do you do for royalty free music? in Technical; At the r3play expo this weekend John and I met a gentleman (who's name I won't reveal just yet) who ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries

What do you do for royalty free music?

At the r3play expo this weekend John and I met a gentleman (who's name I won't reveal just yet) who was at one time a leading figure in the UK games industry.
    Anyway, to cut a long story short he's setting up a site featuring music from games that go way back, from many computer music artists. Now we had an idea, but it needs feedback from you guys about what schools do for royalty free music, and how much you would be willing to pay to access music that you could do what you wanted with, either via a subscription, or one off disk purchase. So my question is this. What do you currently do for free music that you have rights to edit, alter and republish, or do you already subscribe to a service that provides a similar function?

Thank Post
    Having some very talented pupils and a Head of Music who can sit at a keyboard and rattle of anything, we tend to produce our own.

Thank Post
    I doubt i'd get away with replacing our current bland hold music with something from Allister Brimble - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 1,466 Posts
    I would hazard a guess that in a lot of places music is just ripped/downloaded by staff who have no concept about copyright???

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Having some very talented pupils and a Head of Music who can sit at a keyboard and rattle of anything, we tend to produce our own.
    Yes, but what do pupils use when they need music for presentations and projects etc?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I would hazard a guess that in a lot of places music is just ripped/downloaded by staff who have no concept about copyright???

Ben
    Or some (maybe more senior) staff actively trying to avoid any conversations on the subject - If they keep their eyes closed and fingers in their ears then it can't be happening?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 729 Posts
    E2BN Schools have access to Audio Network

Thank Post

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Yes, but what do pupils use when they need music for presentations and projects etc?

Ben
    Pretty much really.

Thank Post
    you can use stuff from jamendo.com as it's all CC licensed

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Pretty much really.
    I know that, you know that, but perhaps its time the message about copyright hit home?
    That reminds me. I have another 'ranty' editorial in ICT in Education Magazine comign out soon. Another about licensing and copyright may be in order I think.

Thank Post
    Providing it is just for internal projects then they often use Freeplay Music, Broadcast Production Music Library, Free and Mp3 Music Downloads, See Usage Terms.

12. Thanks to laserblazer from:

Iain (10th January 2011)

Thank Post
    I know that, you know that, but perhaps its time the message about copyright hit home?
    That reminds me. I have another 'ranty' editorial in ICT in Education Magazine comign out soon. Another about licensing and copyright may be in order I think.
    Oh of course, I'm just being daft. Just amused me that the question in reply to a post could me answered by the original post.

To answer your original post; I think it would be of great benifit to be able to say "copyright infringement is not allowed, but you can go here and get some music" rather than having to simply say "copyright infringement is not allowed."
    The only problem is it could potentially be a catch 22; you can't give that answer until you get signed up to the royalty free service, but then you can't get signed up to the royalty free service until you convince teachers/SLT/etc that copyright infringement is wrong and not allowed.

*/... and in comes another request from a teacher for us to download a youtube clip.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    The only problem is it could potentially be a catch 22; you can't give that answer until you get signed up to the royalty free service, but then you can't get signed up to the royalty free service until you convince teachers/SLT/etc that copyright infringement is wrong and not allowed.
    Or you could let them know about the creative commons licensing options and point them to sites like Jamendo and Free Music Archive

Additionally if they know about CC they can use that to search Flicker and a whole load of other resources with out the need to sign up

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danbuntu View Post
    Or you could let them know about the creative commons licensing options and point them to sites like Jamendo and Free Music Archive

Additionally if they know about CC they can use that to search Flicker and a whole load of other resources with out the need to sign up
    I dont think I was clear, my point was people don't see copyright infringement as wrong, if they did you wouldnt have any trouble in getting money to pay for a service. It doesn't matter if you can find songs for free as "why would I want to use a song noones ever heard of when I can just download whatever I want from youtube?"

I'll certainly keep that as a bookmark mind, some of the songs are dreadful but some are alright, I'm listening to one now

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread