+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, Cubase 5 in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Cubase 5

Hi all,

Got a bit of a query for anyone who is familiar with Cubase 5.

Our Head of Music has bought in a "Cubase 5 Educational - 10+ Users" edition for £250.

Now..Cubase 5 comes with a USB dongle...thing is I kind of expected to see 10 dongles as it was supposed to be a 10+ user edition. However the package has turned up today, its a single box with 1 dongle in it. I havent tried to install it or anything yet but my suspicions have been raised.

I hunted around for a bit on the Cubase forums and various suppliers and I simply couldnt find anyone , anywhere talking about a 10+ User version, everyone talked about a single user version (usually costing around £200, give or take).

I got the weblink from the HoD for the product and found that they were selling 5+ user , 10+ user and 25+ user versions (with the 5+ being the same price as the 10+ and the 25+ being hugely cheaper for some odd reason).

Which has only further served to get my suspicions up that something dodgy is going on here....

So...has anyone had any experience of the Cubase 5 Educational edition, or heard of a 10+ user license, or if such a thing exists got any experience of how you would have it working on 10 PCs with just 1 dongle. (assuming you cant server attach the dongle)

Thinking about it , I'm thinking that the prices are bulk purchase prices, 10+ at £250, 25+ at £169 discount. Why they have then allowed him to order only 1 copy at the 10+ price I dont know, an oversight maybe.

Jake
    Last edited by Jake; 28th October 2010 at 03:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    So...has anyone had any experience of the Cubase 5 Educational edition, or heard of a 10+ user license, or if such a thing exists got any experience of how you would have it working on 10 PCs with just 1 dongle. (assuming you cant server attach the dongle)
    Last time I had anything to do with Cubase (about 6 months ago) you had to have a dongle for each copy you wanted to run - there's been a couple of threads on here recently dealing with how best to hide the dongle away (having it on an internal USB port seems to work quite well).

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Last time I had anything to do with Cubase (about 6 months ago) you had to have a dongle for each copy you wanted to run - there's been a couple of threads on here recently dealing with how best to hide the dongle away (having it on an internal USB port seems to work quite well).

--
    David Hicks

Yeah the more I think on it , the more I am convinced that what has happened here is that the website lists the item as 10+ users and a price but doesnt indicate anywhere that it is a price PER user, so the HoD has bought a quantity of 1 thinking that it covers him for 10 PCs.

Having said that, he actually needs 40 PCs worth anyway, so the 10 wouldnt have helped much anyway but thats a seperate issue. Looks like I will have to explain to him that he has paid £250 for ONE copy and will have to stump up the other £8,000 or so for the other 39 copies.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Last time I had anything to do with Cubase (about 6 months ago) you had to have a dongle for each copy you wanted to run
    Ack.

Thank Post

6. Thanks to HilcrRWise from:

Jake (28th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HilcrRWise View Post
    Hello hello...thats a much nicer price. Gets the price for 40 down to around 7k.

Thanks for that

(Steinberg have confirmed with me that there isnt a 10 user edition and that a single license is around the £250 mark normally, so that would appear to confirm that its a bulk price at the place where the HoD got it from. Well...thats not going to be too good a piece of news for him, just spent £40,000 on his two new music IT suites and I'll have to break it to him now that he needs to stump up another £15k for the Sibelius and Cubase that he wants )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    he actually needs 40 PCs worth anyway
    Would Cubase Essential suffice for the classroom, with maybe three or four "studio" PCs with the full version of Cubase on available?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quite possibly and its certainly an option I will be presenting him with next week. (along with an open source alternative)

rad
    Thank Post
    We have RM One PC's in our Music lab, well only 15 pc's and hide the USB in the back which is covered by the pack panel. I would certainly come up with a way to hide them inside the pc.

Thank Post
    We have 2 Music Suites that use Cubase and Sibelius.

As previously mentioned, to reduce costs you could always purchase Cubase Studio 5 edition.

We have Cubase Sudio 5 on all the student computers, and Cubase 5 on the staff's and Sound Engineer's Computers.

We purchased full (and upgrade) versions from Counterpoint MTC Ltd - UK's Leading Music Education Supplier

Cubase Studio 5 was £125.00 (ex vat).

12. Thanks to MYK-IT from:

Jake (28th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MYK-IT View Post
    We have 2 Music Suites that use Cubase and Sibelius.

As previously mentioned, to reduce costs you could always purchase Cubase Studio 5 edition.

We have Cubase Sudio 5 on all the student computers, and Cubase 5 on the staff's and Sound Engineer's Computers.

We purchased full (and upgrade) versions from Counterpoint MTC Ltd - UK's Leading Music Education Supplier

Cubase Studio 5 was £125.00 (ex vat).
    Thanks , extra options to present to him are always welcome. What are the fundamental differences between Studio 5 and 5?

Thank Post
    No mp3 encoder in studio 5, and no intelligent pitch correction...
    Mainly stuff to do with audio, so if they're just sequencing with vstis, you may as well get studio, export as wav, and use lame or any other free encoder if mp3 output is required.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    No mp3 encoder in studio 5, and no intelligent pitch correction...
    Mainly stuff to do with audio, so if they're just sequencing with vstis, you may as well get studio, export as wav, and use lame or any other free encoder if mp3 output is required.
    Excellent, Yup no problem, they can do without the encoder. Thanks, another option for the HoD to consider.

Thank Post
    Sorry to be joining this thread so late. It sounds like you've sorted everything out but I'll just add a couple of things if I may. We're a Steinberg main dealer so we get asked about these things all the time. Yes, Cubase is sold on a per licence basis, and you're right that it should not have been possible for your dealer to sell you a single licence at the 10+ price break. Effectively you've been sold a cheaper product at the full single licence price, which is either a mistake or profiteering. Hopefully a mistake. Cubase Studio is our best seller for schools, who often buy a single copy of the "full" Cubase for a recording studio computer. Essential is half the price of Studio and is actually really good too. There's a comparison chart here Feature Comparison:|http://www.steinberg.net/ which should tell you everything you need to know. All these products do need the usb key (eLicencer) and you do get one per licence. Please make sure you secure these, as Steinberg will charge you for new licences if you lose them! Full info on the eLicencer is here USB-eLicenser:|http://www.steinberg.net/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbocop View Post
    We're a Steinberg main dealer so we get asked about these things all the time.
    Ooh, as you're here: can we buy, say, one copy of Cubase, install it on 3 computers and simply move the license dongle between machines as we need? Could pupils take a key home and use the software there?

Can we use Cubase over a remote connection - could we stick a bank of PCs in a cupboard somewhere, each with a plugged-in USB dongle, and connect via RDP? Does that work okay, sound-quality wise?

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast