+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Licensing Questions Thread, Cubase in Technical; Be glad you don't have to run Cubase on iMacs, where there's no way to mount the dongle internally. We ...
    Thank Post
    Be glad you don't have to run Cubase on iMacs, where there's no way to mount the dongle internally. We ended up sticking the dongles in the trunking round the room with a USB cable dangling out to plug into the nearest Mac.

Thank Post
    I do find it bizarre actually that Steinberg still use dongles. The reason is that domestic users do tend to pirate software rather than buying it (and before you all start flaming me yes I KNOW that's a very broad condemnation and not true for everyone). Professional users don't like machine ID based authentication because they tend to upgrade their machines quite often and would have to keep re-authorising, so dongles are not such a bad thing for them. The bizarre thing is that in my experience by FAR the biggest market for Cubase is the education sector, where dongles are condemned as too nickable and difficult. Logic doesn't have any copy protection at all other than a serial number to enter, because as long as you've bought a Mac, Apple are happy. Pro Tools uses its interface as the "dongle" so again, they are happy because you have to buy their hardware. I like Sibelius and their choice of stand alone or network authentication. That feels very grown-up to me. Incidentally, if you lose a dongle, Steinberg will normally re-authorise it for you if you buy a new blank one (we sell Steinberg keys for 16.00 plus VAT). They won't normally do it more than once though, and after that you would have to buy a whole new Cubase licence at full price. As other members have said, definitely put the dongle inside the PC casing somewhere. If you have iMacs, buy a Logic site licence instead

Thank Post
    has anyone tried them USB over IP? if it works you could hide them anywhere. could be expensive though...

Thank Post
    How do you remove a education Cubase Studio 5 license from a dongle? The option to do so is grayed out in the license manager!

We have one machine where both Cubase Studio and WaveLab will be installed therefore want to put both licenses on one dongle but didn't initially realize the WaveLab was a pre activated dongle!

Thank Post
    There's no reason why you can't use two keys in one computer as far as I can see. Same with multiple iLok keys for Pro Tools. However, you should be able to transfer a licence from one key to the other if you do want to combine them. See point 4 on this Steinberg Knowledgebase page, hope it helps!
    https://www.steinberg.net/en/support...back/2020.html

Thank Post
    First a word of warning (if you are not already aware), ensure you have registered your dongle(s) on a MySteinberg (https://www.steinberg.net/en/mysteinberg.html) account, otherwise if you loose it you won't beable to get a replacement and will have to rebuy the whole software package. (Not so bad if you have multiple dongles but essential if you only have the one) - https://www.steinberg.net/en/support...back/2020.html

Secondly it looks as though they have come up with a software based alternative to the USB dongle, not sure how well it works - https://www.steinberg.net/en/support...back/2020.html

Thank Post
    I'm registering them as I go along

Sorted the transfer issue out had to plug both dongles in at the same time and do a drag and drop in license manager

Thank Post
    The usb dongleless version sounds quite interesting, from the link posted by HillcrRWise. Sadly it only seems to work for low end versions of Cubase, and not Cubase or Cubase Studio. I've emailed Steinberg to ask if they plan to expand the idea to the higher versions and I'll post again if the answer is Yes.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12