+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Licensing Questions Thread, Windows Server licensing utilization on VMware ESXi in Technical; Have a look at this calculator: WindowsServerCalculator Change the virtualisation technology used to be 3rd party bare metal hypervisor, add ...
    Thank Post
    Have a look at this calculator: WindowsServerCalculator

Change the virtualisation technology used to be 3rd party bare metal hypervisor, add 2x VM's and then it says that you need 1 license of Server 2008 R2 Standard
    Last edited by Chris_; 27th November 2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling error

Thank Post
    Then it doesn't tie up with their documentation.

"Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
    Each software license allows you to run, at any one time, one instance of the server software in an OSE on one server. If the instance you run is in a virtual OSE, you may also run an instance in the physical OSE solely to run hardware virtualization software, provide hardware virtualization services, or run software to manage and service OSEs on the licensed server. We refer to this in shorthand as 1+1."

"However, unlike Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, each license for Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard allows you to run only one instance in the physical OSE and one instance in the virtual OSE. If you run the two instances, the instance running in the physical OSE is restricted to running hardware virtualization software, providing hardware virtualization services, or running software to manage and service OSEs on the licensed server."

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/a...efs.aspx#tab=4

"Licensing Windows Server 2008 to Run with Virtualization Technologies"

Also listed as one in "Licensing peak Capacity" in the "Licensing Microsoft Server Products in Virtual Environments" document.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BIST View Post
    A. Yes, with Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, you may run one instance in the physical operating system environment and one instance in the virtual operating system environment; however, the instance running in the physical operating system environment may be used only to run hardware virtualization software, provide hardware virtualization services, or to run software to manage and service operating system environments on the licensed server.
    I read that as I can install ESXi install one windows server VM standard and then do a physcial installation of windows server on my workstation and install the RSAT tools and VSPhere client as I am them using that physical machine to manage the host??

I don't think thats true but thats how it reads to me,

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    I read that as I can install ESXi install one windows server VM standard and then do a physcial installation of windows server on my workstation and install the RSAT tools and VSPhere client as I am them using that physical machine to manage the host??

I don't think thats true but thats how it reads to me,
    You have to assign the license to *one* physical host.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12