+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, Windows XP as virtual machine in Technical; Hi All, What is the most legal way of virtualizing Windows XP SP3 nowadays ? I've got Windows Server 2008 ...

Thank Post

Question Windows XP as virtual machine

Hi All,

What is the most legal way of virtualizing Windows XP SP3 nowadays ?

I've got Windows Server 2008 Datacenter Edition which entitles me of having unlimited VM of all version of Windows.

here's my list of supporting facts
    Code:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/licensing-datacenter.aspx
    Code:
    1)    How can I use of Windows Server 2008 Datacenter Edition for virtualization in non-microsoft platforms such as Xen or Vmware ESXi?
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/licensing-faq.aspx

Q.  Do the virtualization licensing rights of Windows Server 2008 apply when used with non-Microsoft software virtualization technologies?
    A.   Yes. The use rights apply regardless of the virtualization product being used. However, any non-Microsoft software virtualization technologies are not supported by Microsoft. For more information about support policies, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) articles:
        Article 897613: Microsoft Virtual Server support policy
        Article 897614: Windows Server System software not supported within a Microsoft Virtual Server environment
        Article 897615: Support policy for Microsoft software running in non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software

3)How can I activate licenses of virtual machines?
    >> Input product key, active it through KMS or Internet(base on you license type)

4)If I use Windows Server 2008 Datacenter Edition, then all versions of Windows Server 2008(web,standard,enterprise) are installable on virtual machines?
    >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/virtualreality/archive/2009/04/01/hyper-v-licensing-explained.aspx

5)If I use Windows Server 2008 Datacenter Edition, then Windows Server 2003 is installable on virtual machines without additional license?
    >> http://blogs.technet.com/mattmcspirit/archive/2008/11/13/licensing-windows-server-in-a-virtual-environment.aspx

6)Is it possible to create unlimited virtual machines use Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition?
    >> See the above.

Thank Post
    and yet I'm confused of how and which license i can get for the WindowsXP VM.

Thank Post
    I would not call myself and expert in Microsoft licensing (who would!), but to my knowledge, the usual requirement to run a copy of Windows XP, on either a physical or virtual machine, is that you own a licence. So, if you run XP on the host and two XP VMs, you should have 3 licences.

However, I believe there is some provision within products like Technet and MSDN, which give you access to all the Microsoft products and allow you to use them for testing/evaluation purposes. This means testing/evaluating that MS product, not as a platform for testing other products.

Also, if you are signed up to some form of volume licensing (e.g. Schools Agreement), then you may have access to the Microsoft Volume Licensing web portal. I've a feeling that this also gives you access to the products for testing and evaluation.

As I said at the beginning though; If you need to put 3 copies of XP into production (physical or VM), you would need 3 licences.

I should probably point out that certain versions of Windows 7 (e.g. Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate) allow you to use 'XP Mode' which is essentially a copy of XP running in a VM. Again. My understanding is the the licence for this is included. If you are signed up for volume licensing (e.g. School Agreement), then you may be licensed to use MDOP (Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack), which includes a component called MED-V (Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualisation). This is the enterprise version of 'XP Mode' and presumably licences the use of 1 (or more?) XP VMs on Windows 7 installations.

Have you looked here:
    Microsoft Volume Licensing - Microsoft Licensing for Virtualization
    or here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/virtualizat...s-desktop.aspx
    Last edited by ajbritton; 4th August 2010 at 08:01 AM. Reason: added link for desktop virtualisation

4. Thanks to ajbritton from:

albertwt (5th August 2010)

Thank Post
    Its my understanding that if you run Datacentre edition with Hyper-V on that particular server (that is running datacentre) you can have an unlimited number of Datacentre edition virtual servers running.
    Don't know anything about Windows XP for that kinda setup though.

Thank Post
    According to Microsoft Windows Enterprise: Operating system virtualization you need a Windows VDA license. I'm sure that this used to be called something else!

7. Thanks to Ric_ from:

Thank Post
    albertwt,

I went throught htis recently with a licensing guy at M$.

The licenses to Datacentre (Per CPU) entitle you to unlimited server VM's on that host, or other hosts licensed with Datacentre.

If you license Enterprise you are entitled to license the host machine, and 4 virtual servers on that host.

Im pretty sure you will need a license to XP in order to virtualise it, the Datacentre / Enterprise licenses only cover the server OS.

Simon

9. Thanks to Psymon from:

Thank Post
    @Psymon, thanks for the clarification, with the datacenter edition i can deploy / create as many Windows Server OS from 2000 - 2008 R2 any edition :-)

and yes, thanks to all for the suggestion in using VDA as it seems that is the official way to go now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread