+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, CALS - Device or User? in Technical; Hi there Right, following my thread on the 2008 vs 2008R2 I'm looking to get the 2008R2 now, which isn't ...
    Thank Post

CALS - Device or User?

Hi there

Right, following my thread on the 2008 vs 2008R2 I'm looking to get the 2008R2 now, which isn't too bad, but obviously need to look at getting the right number of CALs in place, but I always forget the difference between User and Device CALs and which I would need in my setting.

So, background:

Current Setup:

2 x Server 2003R2 Machines
    75 x Windows XP Workstations/Laptops etc
    5 x Laser Printers
    1 x MFP

180 x Users

So, my question is, which CAL is the best to get? I think we have 80 x User CALS at the moment to cover the machines, but looking at this, are user CALs something that are given out upon a user logging in and therefore if they log back out the CAL is reavailable therefore I only need a user CAL per device that I have on the network?

OR

Do I need to get device CALS to cover each piece of equipment connecting to the server and by doing so the users would be covered by using the devices.

Many thanks

Thank Post
    User CALS are tied to a named user. You'd need to license every machine with a device CAL (which is tied to that device) to allow your number of users to use them.

3. Thanks to Soulfish from:

soveryapt (12th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    User CALS are tied to a named user. You'd need to license every machine with a device CAL (which is tied to that device) to allow your number of users to use them.
    So, basically, I get 75 Device CALs? Do I then need to get Device CALs for the printers too?

Cheers

ajs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    So, basically, I get 75 Device CALs? Do I then need to get Device CALs for the printers too?

Cheers
    This was brought up in another thread that I'm currently unable to locate (cause I'm a bit lazy and haven't searched very hard - will update later if I find it) but my opinion and the opinion of the MS partners that I dealt with for licensing was that printers do not require CALs because they are not actually computing clients/devices.

Erig Ligman, who is a Microsoft Global Partner Experience Lead (whatever one of those is), covers this on his 30in30 website - http://www.the30in30.com/ (Question 3)
    Last edited by ajs; 12th July 2010 at 01:19 PM.

6. Thanks to ajs from:

Thank Post
    Quite right guys. CALs are for computing devices which need to access the server. If you have more users than devices (and you do) then it's cheaper to get Device CALS. If you were a small business where every member of staff has a laptop and a smartphone, you'd have more devices than users, so it's cheaper for a company like that to get User CALs instead. You don't need them for "slave" devices like printers, but you do need them for each computer or mobile device you want to hook in.

8. Thanks to Robbocop from:

Thank Post
    Cheers All. That makes a lot more sense now. I thought it probably was the case you basically buy for that you have least of (100 User 25 Devices get Device CALS 100 Devices 25 Users get User CALS) but you know when you're just not quite sure.

Ok, so the linking in thing. Our MFP has an FTP ability to drag from areas on the server, so that would probably need a CAL (to be honest, at 3.60 a pop from our County guys, I tend to buy a few extra just in case for random things).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps read the official MS guidance on CALs to clear up any misconceptions roaming around the thread.

On printers, if your printer is accessing the server software in any way then yes it needs a CAL. (DHCP anyone?).

Thank Post
    Conventional wisdom is that DHCP does require a CAL, but as usual: don't rely on EduHearsay, ask a reseller (preferably one you trust).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Perhaps read the official MS guidance on CALs to clear up any misconceptions roaming around the thread.

On printers, if your printer is accessing the server software in any way then yes it needs a CAL. (DHCP anyone?).
    The issue with this is the license term is just for a "device" using things like DHCP, where Microsoft *may* be inferring with their guidance that printers don't need a CAL is because the device isn't as such used by a user to access the server in anyway.

My printers are authenticated via MAC to an AD user (for RADIUS/VLAN) so they are a bit more of a grey area!

ajs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    My printers are authenticated via MAC to an AD user (for RADIUS/VLAN) so they are a bit more of a grey area!
    As powdarrmonkey said, the best thing to do really is to ask whoever you get your licenses from. If they say you don't need CALs then get them to send something official through and store it, just in case someone else disagrees.

As a last resort, you could always ring MS themselves and ask. I did this once to clear up confusion about personally-owned laptops accessing the Internet through ISA 2004 and whether or not we need a CAL for them. Guy on the phone was very helpful and emailed me after the conversation just so I had a written record of what he said.

Thank Post
    Ooo .. another quicky ..

CALs .. do I need to buy the same number of CALs for Each Server? So, having 2 servers, say I needed 50 CALs, does this mean I would actually need to buy 100 CALS to allow proper access?

Man, why can't there be a simple CALs thing on the MS site! lol ..

ajs

Thank Post
    Ooo .. another quicky ..

CALs .. do I need to buy the same number of CALs for Each Server? So, having 2 servers, say I needed 50 CALs, does this mean I would actually need to buy 100 CALS to allow proper access?

It's the device or the user that needs the CAL so it can basically go "I'm allowed to access Windows servers. Hurrah".

Short answer: you only need enough CALs for as many devices/physical users as you have. Doesn't matter how many servers.

16. Thanks to ajs from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    The issue with this is the license term is just for a "device" using things like DHCP, where Microsoft *may* be inferring with their guidance that printers don't need a CAL is because the device isn't as such used by a user to access the server in anyway.
    Why does it matter if a user is using it to access the server? The guidance states:

Every user or device that accesses or uses the Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 server software requires the purchase of a Windows Server 2008 Client Access License
    A printer using DHCP access the server software to get an IP.
    Unless of course you have some contradictory MS guidance that says different? (I bet you do :P )

18. Thanks to sparkeh from:

Thank Post
    Ooo .. another quicky ..

MS Licensing is well confusing (doesnt help that it sometimes changes too) and as it has been stated seek advise from a reseller (get it in writing). We got our advise from Teksys but you go with whom you trust. The thing is its sometimes not best to contact MS as they will give you the generic requirement sometimes and they may not take into account Education Licensing.

20. Thanks to apeo from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    It's the device or the user that needs the CAL so it can basically go "I'm allowed to access Windows servers. Hurrah".

Short answer: you only need enough CALs for as many devices/physical users as you have. Doesn't matter how many servers.
    Yup! Spot on. If the user or device has a WServer2008 CAL they can access WServer2008 on any server or servers you happen to be running it on. Any other server types do need CALs though. So users (or devices) needing access to TS would need both a WServer CAL and a TS CAL. Similarly for Exchange, Sharepoint and all the other Server types.

22. Thanks to Robbocop from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast