+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Licensing Questions Thread, CALS - Device or User? in Technical; Originally Posted by Robbocop Yup! Spot on. If the user or device has a WServer2008 CAL they can access WServer2008 ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbocop View Post
    Yup! Spot on. If the user or device has a WServer2008 CAL they can access WServer2008 on any server or servers you happen to be running it on. Any other server types do need CALs though. So users (or devices) needing access to TS would need both a WServer CAL and a TS CAL. Similarly for Exchange, Sharepoint and all the other Server types.
    Aye, I realised about the different server roles if you will .. we have our Exchange Licenses sorted already .. Don't run any TS at the moment, but you never know .. might look at doing that for our "Class Logons" .. we'll see though ..

Thank Post
    Be aware that you may need to consider the licensing implications of providing external access e.g. a website, extranet etc

3. Thanks to apeo from:

soveryapt (12th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    Be aware that you may need to consider the licensing implications of providing external access e.g. a website, extranet etc
    Aye, currently, we don't have anything like that in place, but as and when it happens I'll be sure to get the appropriate access licenses ..

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    User CALS are tied to a named user. You'd need to license every machine with a device CAL (which is tied to that device) to allow your number of users to use them.
    And device CALS can end up tied to a named device.

Things can get troublesome with terminal server, especially if what you really want is something along the lines of "I want up to X people to be able to connect, but I don't care who they are or where they are connecting from".

Thank Post
    This is quite a pertinent topic for us as we have just rolled out our first MS server in the school to host the office network. But over the summer, we have a new ICT suite coming online and upgrading to a school reporting system that will be rolled out to the teachers as well as the current office staff.

Presently we decided on device CALs for the office suite, but the technicalities of licensing, a change in license supplier by Surrey County Council and, the direction of the school reports system shifting to the teachers working from home has recently led me to reassess our licensing options. Infact, it it one of my jobs today.

We have available to us, two licensing models.

1. Perpetual licenses - Select Agreement
    2. A subscription based license - Schools ProDesktop

The perpetual licenses are available as Device CAL, User CAL or, something that I had not realised, a mix of both.

We have approx 30 staff and 120 students, all of whom need to be licensed even though the younger pupils do nothing more than doodle on a group PC.

So one of our options is to license all the student accessible PC's as device CAL's ie the ICT suite and some classroom PC's, then license all the staff with User CALs. This will bring our licensing requirements down to approx 60 units and allow staff to access the reporting system from home as they are user based CALs.

The subscription based license is device based and one subscription is needed per desktop in the school. Servers are licensed separately either as a subscription based model, or a perpetual model. As it is a whole school agreement, its an all or nothing agreement so we cannot mix and match to different PC's - many of our PC's are legacy and will not run Office etc or benefit from software assurance which allows us to upgrade versions of the OS or applications. Even though this is device based, staff get work at home rights, which solves the problem of not being able to license a home PC with a school device CAL - putting it simply, you cannot license a device that you do not own, ie a home PC.

Something I had not realised until reading this thread was that printers counted as device CALs. We have a networked photocopier with the server acting as print server. Thankfully we ordered a few spare CALs for the office so are covered until we need to make the decision about rolling out the rest of school.

But does anyone know if a printer needs a device CAL if it is local to a PC but shared and deployed via group policy?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ianh64 View Post
    But does anyone know if a printer needs a device CAL if it is local to a PC but shared and deployed via group policy?
    Sounds like you have a fun time on your hands there. Having now read some more on the whole issue, I would say that if the printer is not using any of the microsoft provided software (so it's not using DHCP to get an address, it's not accessing the DNS server or anything along those lines) then it should not need a Device CAL, however, if it is to be accessing the software on the machine such as DHCP / DNS resolves / etc, then you would need a device CAL for it to be technically legitimate.

My best advice though (as a few people have already said) is to give your reseller a call and see what they say about it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12