+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, Making PCs from scratch using OEM Licences???? in Technical; Hi All, Maybe a simple answer to this, but im yet to find it if there is! Im thinking of ...

Thank Post

Making PCs from scratch using OEM Licences????

Hi All,

Maybe a simple answer to this, but im yet to find it if there is!

Im thinking of building some PCs from scratch this year. So buying just the components from a supplier.

Question = Can i legally buy OEM windows 7 or vista with these components and use them?

Ive read millions of pages and licence agreements and im positive we qualify for this licensing as we are "assemblers and installers of the software" which are both classed as being a "system builder", also because we are purchasing a internal (non peripheral component).

As a system builder you need to abide by the licence agreement, however this appears to be an agreement stuck to the pack on the side of the licence kit, and is not a website / process etc that you need to be a member of or sign up to.

However, a couple of suppliers have said were not allowed to do this, and its put a doubt in my mind. Despite several suppliers saying yes you can.

So can anyone confirm?

Thanks for help in advance.

Thank Post
    My guess would be you would need M$ approval to do that. I would imagine M$ have a list of suppliers who can use OEM licences.

Thank Post
    from what i remember as long as you buy certain non peripheral hardware (iirc hdd,motherboard etc) you can buy an oem lic you arnt supposed to be able to buy it on its own or with say a mouse

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    from what i remember as long as you buy certain non peripheral hardware (iirc hdd,motherboard etc) you can buy an oem lic you arnt supposed to be able to buy it on its own or with say a mouse
    My understanding too.

Thank Post
    I would be buying it (windows oem) with all components required to complete the machine. However certain companies have said that I am not allowed to do this because im a school and also because im not a reseller?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyRidal View Post
    My understanding too.
    That was my understanding but these companies saying no just put a doubt in my mind.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    99.99999% certain (unless rules have changed recently) so long as you buy a minimum of three components - mobo, ram, hdd, cpu, etc - then you qualify for OEM purchases. Resellers like Misco, Insight, PCWB, Dabs, etc have the OEM version readily available on their website if you search them. Most, in my experience, don't bother to question if you place the OEM in an empty cart on it's own and proceed to purchase.

AFAIR - there are two versions of the OEM license. Theres the version for around 100 on sites like Misco and Dabs, which is for the like of you and I and cornorshop whitebox builders. And then there is the coporate OEM license with companies such as Dell and HP use. Because they buy the OEM license in huge bulk they get prices not far off of our education VLK prices.

Thank Post
    That was my impression.

I'm just reading through an email now from a supplier that said no you arent allowed, and they have said because its not preinstalled and im not selling the unit onto a third party im not allowed to buy OEM and must buy the fully boxed product.
    so thought id ask on here and see what other peoples thoughts were on the topic.

Thank Post
    You are fine to buy OEM versions if you are building your own hardware.

How to buy Windows 7 for 50 less: the truth about OEM versions | Analysis | Features | PC Pro

Thank Post
    In the email from Microsoft it says;

"Systems can only install COEM software on a PC that is for re-sale so the school cannot purchase COEM to install on PCs that they build themselves"

???????

im even more baffled now

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    In the email from Microsoft it says;

"Systems can only install COEM software on a PC that is for re-sale so the school cannot purchase COEM to install on PCs that they build themselves"

???????

im even more baffled now
    Ok then, how about this: Build the system with, say, 512MB Ram and no windows license.... Then buy another gig, say, of Ram on a different order (from a different company if necessary) and buy the OEM license with the "upgraded hardware" (extra memory). Sorted. You didn't license the PC you originally built yourself with OEM, you licensed the component that upgraded it to a suitable spec to run it, which is fine

Thank Post
    why aren't you just buying educational licences?

Thank Post
    I have a schools agreement in place, but need an actual windows licence to cover the unit before Schools agreement kicks in to allow the upgrade of the OS.

I havent seen any educational pricing where its cheaper to buy the OS than what im quoted for with all components and OEM version.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    I have a schools agreement in place, but need an actual windows licence to cover the unit before Schools agreement kicks in to allow the upgrade of the OS.

I havent seen any educational pricing where its cheaper to buy the OS than what im quoted for with all components and OEM version.
    thats always annoyed me so i need to windows liscences wtf thats the main reason all my win7 installs are oem codes from the pc

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Ive bought loads of components from CCL Computers - CCL Computers - Awarded Best Online Retailer 2008 for PC, PC Components, Laptops, Notebook, Computer Components, Intel Servers, Hard Drives, PC Memory to build PCs for the schools and just buy all the bits and an OEM licence for the PC, usually the cheapest IE Vista Basic, and then use the Schools Agreement to upgrade from that point.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast