+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
Licensing Questions Thread, Sever 2008 R2 - CAL and other Licenses in Technical; Hi all Thinking of moving from Server 2000 to Server 2008 R2 and I am wondering about CAL licenses and ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Thank Post
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power

    Sever 2008 R2 - CAL and other Licenses

    Hi all

    Thinking of moving from Server 2000 to Server 2008 R2 and I am wondering about CAL licenses and the like.

    Current setup is ad hoc admin network and the curriculum side uses the Server 2000 (Viglen Classlink). Admin machines get DHCP and internet connection from the 2000 server.

    Reading up on the licensing suggests that I need CAL licences for

    admin machines
    all curriculum machines
    all network printers using DHCP

    Am I correct?

    Also any recommendations as to which version of Server 2008 to get (maximum connected devices <100) ??



  2. #2

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rep Power
    There is no maximum connected devices count for Server standard, its only limited by your amount of CALS. Yes you would need CALs for each of the devices that you specified above. Have you looked into a Schools Volume Agreement which would give you access to the later versions of Windows client and office as well.

    Server Enterprise gives you extra features like clustering and up to four virtual copies per machine for use with virtualisation, standard only gives you one virtual copy. Enterprise is licensed per CPU socket and gives unlimited virtual copies on the machine.

  3. #3
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Isle of Wight
    Thank Post
    Thanked 502 Times in 442 Posts
    Rep Power
    It appears that printers are not needed (from another thread). As there was a Q/A youtube video from MS. Although the license terms only references a "device", perhaps it's only if the device is used by a user to access the server. Which is not quite the case with printers.

    The rest you mentioned would need CALs. Education prices for server are quite cheap, but which version depends on what you want.

    In most cases standard will be fine, enterprise and datacenter have some additional features like multiple DFS roots etc. If you want to virtualise any servers then enterprise and datacenter are better options. Enterprise allows 4 virtual hosts on the licensed server. Datacenter allows as virtual hosts as you want but is licensed per cpu socket.

+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. CAL Licensing
    By Matthew1985 in forum Windows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13th August 2010, 05:02 PM
  2. Windows Home Sever
    By nawbus in forum Windows
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 3rd April 2008, 04:02 PM
  3. TS CAL Cost
    By mortstar in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18th January 2008, 08:26 PM
  4. Windows Sever 2003 R2 Quota
    By molesm in forum Windows
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 18th April 2007, 02:51 PM
  5. CAL license pricing
    By pshuttle in forum Windows
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 18th July 2006, 12:26 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts