+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, How many CALS do we need for our Terminal Server? in Technical; I have setup a Terminal Server to allow staff to connect in and use SIMS from home. I have limited ...

Thank Post

How many CALS do we need for our Terminal Server?

I have setup a Terminal Server to allow staff to connect in and use SIMS from home. I have limited the number of connections to 10 and when they log in, they automatically do so as a general user account called sims.ts.

Therefore how many CALS do we need to purchase? 1 for each member of staff or 10 as there wouldnt be much way of proving that the 10 people connected at one time are not the same 10 who were connected the previous day or am i being too hopeful with that?

Thank Post
    Windows Server user CALs for each staff member (unless you use per user CALs already, but will mostly likely be using per device on site).
    Windows Remote Desktop Services CALs for each member of Staff
    Microsoft office license for each device that connects and that uses office (Reports, Assessment, Profiles) of the same type that is on the server (Only Enterprise/Pro Plus will install on a TS server).

Remember to access the data in SIMS, the guidance is to use two factor authentication.

TS/Widows licenses are not concurrent, hence the User/Device choice.

We are going to use HUP (home use program), for Office for staff.

Thank Post
    You'll need 1 per member of staff that has access unfourtunatly, went through this with our account manager at Pugh before setting up our TS

Technically you need 1 for every PC they use outside the school but 1 per member of staff with access is sensible enough.

Thank Post
    Excuse my ignorance in all of this as i really am unsure about all of this. It is only SIMS on this TS, no Office or anything else is installed.

So i need to buy a user CAL for each member of staff who is going to RDP into the TS and use it? When i have purchased these CALS how do i "use" them as such so that everything works how i want?

If i buy say 100 user CALS and mr teacher 101 comes along, what exactly will stop him from rdp'ing onto the TS and using SIMS?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by farquea View Post
    Excuse my ignorance in all of this as i really am unsure about all of this. It is only SIMS on this TS, no Office or anything else is installed.
    SIMS.net makes use of Office when producing reports.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If i buy say 100 user CALS and mr teacher 101 comes along, what exactly will stop him from rdp'ing onto the TS and using SIMS?
    Nothing will stop him unless you dont put him in the allowed group.

It will only block him if you have more than 100 connections at the same time.

Thank Post
    Win2k3 TS can't track User CALs, only device CALs, so just switch to User and buy 10, no one understands MS licensing anyway (including anyone at MS), so no one will care. You add the CALs via their product key type thing. I wouldn't mind if the device licence was concurrent, but it's every device that connects, stupid.

Anyone who cares about licensing will reply after they've read the 1000s of pages of EULAs that contradict each other and are ambiguous on 100s of points.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    SIMS.net makes use of Office when producing reports.
    Just had a check and yes i did install Office onto it. Thought i hadnt. So what does that mean, i need to buy yet more licenses? If so i imagine i could just put openoffice onto it instead?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Win2k3 TS can't track User CALs, only device CALs, so just switch to User and buy 10, no one understands MS licensing anyway (including anyone at MS), so no one will care.
    To do that deliberately in my opinion is very unprofessional and should not be done.

If so i imagine i could just put openoffice onto it instead?
    You could but i am not sure if sims would work properly with it.

Thank Post
    so with 100 staff even if only 10 are allowed on at any one time i still need 100 ts lics that sucks

Thank Post

Terminal Server CALS

You will need to install the TS licensing server management consol on a server in your farm. This will then need to be activated with your TS Cals. When configuring the TS, you also need to specify this server as the licensing server when required during the setup or later in the configuration.

It is quite a straight forward process but must be done to ensure your staff do not loose continuity of service.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    so with 100 staff even if only 10 are allowed on at any one time i still need 100 ts lics that sucks
    If only 10 people will use it only buy 10 CAL. If all staff will be using it at any time, either all at once or not, buy one for every member.

Thank Post
    As far as I understand it the device that they are accessing it with must have a valid office licence. Therefore we tell the staff that they must access the remote system using their laptops.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    If only 10 people will use it only buy 10 CAL. If all staff will be using it at any time, either all at once or not, buy one for every member.
    I've only allowed 10 concurrent logons at any one time. but there might be about 50 members of staff who will be given access to it. So i have to buy 50 user cals? or go with what mavhc says and buy 10 device CALS?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    As far as I understand it the device that they are accessing it with must have a valid office licence. Therefore we tell the staff that they must access the remote system using their laptops.
    all staff will be connecting from their school staff laptops which have Office installed. So therefore we should be covered and dont need to do anything on the Office saide of things when it comes to licensing?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast