+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, How many CALS do we need for our Terminal Server? in Technical; Originally Posted by DMcCoy Windows Server user CALs for each staff member <snip> Windows Remote Desktop Services CALs for each ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Windows Server user CALs for each staff member <snip> Windows Remote Desktop Services CALs for each member of Staff <snip> Microsoft office license for each device that connects and that uses office
    I thought we had to get an SQL Server CAL for each user too?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    You don't *have* to have office on it for SIMS, you just need to be aware that several sections of SIMS will crash with an error if you don't. The main ones being Profiles and assessment. If no one wants to use these sections then you can leave office off the server.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mavhc View Post
    Win2k3 TS can't track User CALs, only device CALs, so just switch to User and buy 10, no one understands MS licensing anyway (including anyone at MS), so no one will care. You add the CALs via their product key type thing. I wouldn't mind if the device licence was concurrent, but it's every device that connects, stupid.

Anyone who cares about licensing will reply after they've read the 1000s of pages of EULAs that contradict each other and are ambiguous on 100s of points.
    That's why the professional thing to do is to contact a reseller, such as pugh, who DO understand that sort of thing. You're acting on behalf of your employer not yourself, so picking and choosing which regulations to follow could leave you on a very sticky wicket.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Remind me, why do people switch to FLOSS again?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post

--
    David Hicks
    I'd forgotten about SQL as we use per processor licensing. That or if you are using express then it doesn't need CALs anyway.

6. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

dhicks (21st June 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Win2k3 TS can't track User CALs, only device CALs, so just switch to User and buy 10, no one understands MS licensing anyway (including anyone at MS), so no one will care. You add the CALs via their product key type thing. I wouldn't mind if the device licence was concurrent, but it's every device that connects, stupid.

Anyone who cares about licensing will reply after they've read the 1000s of pages of EULAs that contradict each other and are ambiguous on 100s of points.
    Until you get your licenses audited. Being deliberately unprofessional is not a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by farquea View Post
    I've only allowed 10 concurrent logons at any one time. but there might be about 50 members of staff who will be given access to it. So i have to buy 50 user cals? or go with what mavhc says and buy 10 device CALS?
    Device licenses get tied to a specific device, so if 10 devices connect, those 10 are now licensed. Any more that connect will be turned away. (Well, more specifically, they'll get a temporary token which when it expires will lead to them being turned away.)

Quote Originally Posted by farquea View Post
    all staff will be connecting from their school staff laptops which have Office installed. So therefore we should be covered and dont need to do anything on the Office saide of things when it comes to licensing?
    If the devices they're connecting from are already licensed for Office, then no you don't need any more office licenses.

So in short you need:

• A remote desktop CAL for each user who could potentially connect.
    • A windows cal for each device connecting.
    • A windows server license per terminal server.
    • A copy of the terminal services licensing software installed on your network.
    • An SQL CAL for each user who could potentially connect (but only if you are using a full version of SQL server and aren't using a processor license).
    • Each machine which is connecting to the terminal server to have a license for office.

8. Thanks to localzuk from:

dhicks (21st June 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    If only 10 people will use it only buy 10 CAL. If all staff will be using it at any time, either all at once or not, buy one for every member.
    i mean as in 10 at any one time (i doubt the internet line will handle even that tbh)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    You don't *have* to have office on it for SIMS, you just need to be aware that several sections of SIMS will crash with an error if you don't. The main ones being Profiles and assessment. If no one wants to use these sections then you can leave office off the server.
    Running any sort of report will likely cause crashes too - as they use the various office apps.

Thank Post
    Either MS care, so they'd enforce it with technical solutions, or they don't, so it doesn't matter, or they're trying to trick you, so they're evil.

The whole idea of CALs is evil anyway, and stupidly complex, like all of MS's licensing. You'd probably save money not wasting 100s of hours reading the licences and trying to be compliant than they'd fine you if they ever bothered to check. To make sure you're really compliant you'd have to hire a lawyer to read it all for you anyway.

Or install linux.

BRB, off to buy CALs for all my desktops and laptops so they can read files off the server. Oh wait, now I have 2 servers, better buy them all again.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Either MS care, so they'd enforce it with technical solutions, or they don't, so it doesn't matter, or they're trying to trick you, so they're evil.

The whole idea of CALs is evil anyway, and stupidly complex, like all of MS's licensing. You'd probably save money not wasting 100s of hours reading the licences and trying to be compliant than they'd fine you if they ever bothered to check. To make sure you're really compliant you'd have to hire a lawyer to read it all for you anyway.

Or install linux.

BRB, off to buy CALs for all my desktops and laptops so they can read files off the server. Oh wait, now I have 2 servers, better buy them all again.
    Regardless of your feelings about the licensing, you are employed to do a job. If your job includes dealing with licensing, your attitude above could most likely lead to you being fired, fined and could get the school into significant trouble.

And no, you're wrong on your last line - if you have 2 servers, you only need one set of device CALs.

13. Thanks to localzuk from:

BatchFile (22nd June 2010)

Thank Post
    if you have 2 servers, you only need one set of device CALs
    Fair enough, I went the Install Linux route anyway, 100s of hours saved by not having to type in product keys, track licences, read EULAs. And on top of that it's free, weird.

So, has any school ever been fined? And how much?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    (Well, more specifically, they'll get a temporary token which when it expires will lead to them being turned away.)
    I seem to remember temporary Terminal Services tokens last something like 90 days, which isn't bad if you're trying to get set up over the summer break and don't want to pay until people come back and actually start using things. I think you can move the server licenses every 120 days or something, too.

• An SQL CAL for each user who could potentially connect (but only if you are using a full version of SQL server and aren't using a processor license).
    • Each machine which is connecting to the terminal server to have a license for office.
    Thanks, handy checklist. We don't have a school-wide schools agreement, but I think it would wind up cheaper for us to have one just to cover the SIMS server - you don't really get a choice but to keep upgrading how SIMS tells you to, so we might as well assume we'll be upgrading again in a couple of years time.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

So in short you need:

When you say a windows CAL for each device connecting, you mean just a windows license? and the same for a server license too?
    So really, in conclusion i need "a remote desktop CAL for each user who could potentially connect" for every member of staff it looks like.
    So now the next question, how much are we usually talking for user CALS as i'd need about 50 i reckon. Is it a one off cost? If i buy a CAL for Mr Teacher1 who then leaves in a few weeks, and Mr New Teacher starts at the school, can they use the Teacher1's CAL or do i then need a new one for the new teacher?

Sheesh mavhc isnt wrong, this could potentially be stupidly confusing!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No, I mean a Windows Server CAL (Windows Server 2008 R2: Frequently Asked Questions about Licensing)

The server license is the license for running the Server 2003 (or whatever edition) you are running. The CALs (so long as you use device CALs) are for every device that connects to any windows server in your school. So if you have 5 servers and 350 connecting devices (50 of which are devices used by staff to connect remotely), you would need 350 device CALs.

Regarding your last question, if your teacher leaves, then his license is freed up and that license will then be available to another user.

Regarding costs, do you use a Microsoft Schools Agreement?

Thank Post
    No, I mean a Windows Server CAL (Windows Server 2008 R2: Frequently Asked Questions about Licensing)

The server license is the license for running the Server 2003 (or whatever edition) you are running. The CALs (so long as you use device CALs) are for every device that connects to any windows server in your school. So if you have 5 servers and 350 connecting devices (50 of which are devices used by staff to connect remotely), you would need 350 device CALs.

Regarding your last question, if your teacher leaves, then his license is freed up and that license will then be available to another user.

Regarding costs, do you use a Microsoft Schools Agreement?
    Im really getting confused now. i have 1 server that 50 people can connect to. each device they use has a windows license, office license etc. The server has a server 2k3 license. I thought i just need 50 user cals but your saying i also need device cals?

I dont actually know if we use Microsoft Schools Agreement here, any easy way of finding out?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast