+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, Exchange server license question - standard or enterprise in Technical; Have just installed Exchange Server 2010 on a testbed for a small school and have run the Exchange 2010 Organisational ...

Thank Post

Exchange server license question - standard or enterprise

Have just installed Exchange Server 2010 on a testbed for a small school and have run the Exchange 2010 Organisational Health Check to get the licensing requirements. Currently we have 5 Standard Device CALs to cover 3 office machines and a couple spare.

Whilst I realise that Organisational Health Monitor does not report on device CALs, it is reporting that I need a couple enterprise CALs as well as a couple user CALs.

Why is it reporting that I need Enterprise CALs? It's a clean install, with no unified messaging (but it does show in Organisation Configuration - disabled), just Mailbox, Hub and CAS (all on same VM) plus Edge (on separate VM). Thought that it was only UM that triggered Enterprise licensing. Also have Outlook Web App and would like to try Active Synch. MAPI, POP3 and IMAP4 also reported but I'm in the middle of configuration so this may change - did notice a warning about enterprise licensing for one option but cannot remember where and whether I selected the option - unlikely.

Thanks in advance

Ian
    Last edited by ianh64; 16th June 2010 at 11:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Must admit mine also shows that and I've not used any enterprise features, it shows them but gives warnings saying if you use X, Y or Z you will need enterprise CALs and thus I haven't configured them but still shows

Thank Post
    I'm beginning to think its a catchall statement - in which case its a useless piece of information.

However, as I get more familiar with Exchange, and looking through some of the Enterprise options, it makes me wonder whether Enterprise is a necessity rather than a luxuary - for instance, I just found on my edge server that automatic updates of anti spam definitions is an Enterprise feature. But can't work out where to manually update them. Although looking on the web site for Exchange antispam updates, it looks like this is covered either by Exchange Server Enterprise CALs or by a Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server license which I am likely to recommend to the school once I have evaluated it. I personally quite like Forefront TMG Gateway that I am currently evaluating for them and it makes some sense for an integrated solution.

My only slight concern is that I use WSUS updates (3 times daily) for this server and they are manually applied. With Forefront TMG, can bypass WSUS and go direct to Microsoft Update so these are checked quite frequently during the day. Not sure if same override applies to Exchange Server updates.

-Ian
    Last edited by ianh64; 17th June 2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Added bit about WSUS updates

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread