+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Licensing Questions Thread, BBC football streaming in Technical; Originally Posted by TechR Of course you may, it doesn't make it any more correct. Watching it for free and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechR View Post
    Of course you may, it doesn't make it any more correct. Watching it for free and letting lots of people watch it in a canteen in a school are two different things. Sitting at home, all you need is a TV licence. It is a totally different situation with a gathering of people in a work place, even if entry isn't charged.

I know its stupid, I know its ridiculous. I was just trying to pass on some info. I can't be bothered to argue it, because I know I'm right. If you want, you can give the BBC a ring and tell them they're wrong too, they're the ones that told us this.

Cue "lol troll, lol leaving because you'er wrong, lol whatever" here. Glass stomach.
    That's just the thing, why do you say you're right? Because FIFA say so? Personally, I'll stick to following TV Licensing law instead. Showing a tv show to a closed audience is not the same as showing it in a pub. The audience is part of the school, and covered by the normal terms of the TV license! If we were opening our doors up to random people, then sure I'd start questioning what licenses we need, but as we're not and it might just be a class full of kids watching...

Thank Post
    Did we miss the part about the BBC? Please, by all means call them up and tell them they're wrong. If you could post a recording and/or transcript I would be most grateful.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did we miss the part about the BBC? Please, by all means call them up and tell them they're wrong. If you could post a recording and/or transcript I would be most grateful.
    Whoever told you was also wrong then, sorry but there is NO information about needing a license to show the World Cup in schools anywhere on UK TV licensing sites, the BBC site etc... other than on the FIFA site. The key point is - we're not showing to the general public. It is NOT a public viewing event. It is a private event, covered by a normal TV license.

Otherwise, every time something came on TV, we would have to contact the company that produced it and ask them whether there is an individual license to show it in school.

That's just the thing. The BBC and FIFA don't get to make these decisions - those are decisions made by the BBC Trust and the government via Acts of Parliament.

Thank Post
    Best get down the high street and let all the pubs and bars know that they can claim back all that cash they wasted on a fifa broadcast licence.
    Or not
    Commercial Establishments: Public Viewing Events in “Commercial Establishments”, such as pubs, clubs and bars, are NOT deemed to be Commercial Public Viewing Events unless further commercial activities, such as admission fees or sponsorship activities, take place in relation to their public viewing activities.

Thank Post
    If we're honest, does anyone really expect any comeback from anyone if you do show it and dont have 'the proper license' or whatever.

As long as you arent charging admission or making any money from it, i don't really see the issue......
    Last edited by RTFM; 16th June 2010 at 01:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    If we're honest, does anyone really expect any comeback from anyone if you do show it and dont have 'the proper license' or whatever.

As long as you arent charing admission or making any money from it, i don't really see the issue......
    Pretty much, Remember the 2002 world cup? Virtually every single school in the country had to show the games as they were in the morning and no one would actually turn up to school otherwise :P Did any school get sued for it? No. Did the news networks (including the BBC) go around schools reporting about schools showing it? Yes.

As long as you have a TV license I don't see them kicking up a fuss about it

it is part of a btec activity they are doing. about 300 kids, 30 staff.
    haha :P What an excuse >.>

Thank Post
    I can't be bothered to argue it, because I know I'm right.
    OMG - who let my mother-in-law on the forum?

Thank Post
    Just remember that the money you charge on the door is for the drink and crisps - you are not charging to watch the programme

regards

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12