+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, Magazine Cover Disks in Technical; Hi All Quick question to see if anyone has advise. Tidying up before leaving this school next Friday and looking ...
    Thank Post

Magazine Cover Disks

Hi All

Quick question to see if anyone has advise. Tidying up before leaving this school next Friday and looking at creating a new machine image that has the various things on so should something go wrong at the press of a button they can restore a machine. I think they've advertised the job already but...

Anyway, one of the pieces of software installed is CrazyTalk4 Messenger which is installed from a CoverDisk from some time back.

Now, we have an ICT Suite of 30 Machines + IWB Teacher Machine and it is installed on all of them, however, they only bought one Magazine.

My understanding is that Magazine Cover Disks work the same way as normal software in that (excluding multi-license software) you buy a copy and that can be installed and used on one machine, you buy 2 copies it can be installed and used on 2 machines etc, but obviously they've taken the ethos of "buy one copy and we have a site license"

So, what's the thinking on this?
    Cheers

Thank Post
    Unless the software license explicitly says it's FOSS, freeware of free for educational use, they're in breach of the licence. The only exception is if you can get written permission from someone at the publisher / software manufacturer with authority to say otherwise (it's happened a few times - "na, we don't care - use it. Signed Bob, CEO of Whatever)

I certainly wouldn't be an accessory to their breach of licensing terms.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Unless the software license explicitly says it's FOSS, freeware of free for educational use, they're in breach of the licence. The only exception is if you can get written permission from someone at the publisher / software manufacturer with authority to say otherwise (it's happened a few times - "na, we don't care - use it. Signed Bob, CEO of Whatever)

I certainly wouldn't be an accessory to their breach of licensing terms.
    My thoughts exactly. I've put it to the ICT Coordinator and he says to remove it and if they find they need it they will cost it into future budgets.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread