+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, Licensing Concerns in Technical; Ultimately if you run the network you will be deemed the responsible person for the licenses, you should give your ...

Thank Post
    Ultimately if you run the network you will be deemed the responsible person for the licenses, you should give your management the following warning to safeguard yourself, you will be removing all unlicensed software asap. If you are caught it runs into thousands of pounds in fines and you will lose your job.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    Ultimately if you run the network you will be deemed the responsible person for the licenses, you should give your management the following warning to safeguard yourself, you will be removing all unlicensed software asap. If you are caught it runs into thousands of pounds in fines and you will lose your job.
    Thanks for that. But do you know that for a fact or is that just an opinion? Surely the fact that I have reported on this with recommendations makes it my line manager's problem? After all, whilst I am the NM, final authority goes with SLT. I have no authority to either remove software or purchase any if they don't want to give me that authority.

Thank Post
    No that is fact, it has happened to several Educational establishments over the last few years, check out the BSA or the FAST web sites. The advice is to cover yourself with everything in writing and tell the Head Teacher / Principal what actions you are going to take i.e. removal of all illegal software.

Thank Post
    No that is fact, it has happened to several Educational establishments over the last few years, check out the BSA or the FAST web sites. The advice is to cover yourself with everything in writing and tell the Head Teacher / Principal what actions you are going to take i.e. removal of all illegal software.
    I'll look into those sites you mention. If so, then I guess I'll have to react accordingly.

Many thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,405 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't believe any word on either the BSA or FAST websites I'm afraid - they're single purpose is getting companies to pay for licenses... So, they are of course going to use threats like that. Much like the TV License people.

Have you got any independent source for that?

Thank Post
    Of course I am prehaps not totally impartial being sat here at a reseller however I from our side we are seeing an increase in vender activity within schools. Its always a touchy subject though and much work is done under non-disclosure etc
    I must also say that from experience I have not come across a school that is intentially underlicensed. Licensing is a dark art at the best of times and I like to think that it is more a case that there a confusion and once sorted out it will actually provide a school with a position to work from which can of course actually lead to more informed purchasing and the opportunity to save money.

Thank Post
    When I worked in a primary school I was in charge of the licensing and all that. Firstly, I filed every licence in alphabetic order (dividers and everything ) with an alphabetic list at the very front showing an overview.

When we were audited by the LEA they just had to check the front which might have said "Office 2003 Pro x 50" and then flip to the section to actually see the licensing documentation.

This was then further verified by having spiceworks on a server, so they could see we had 50 licenses (paperwork) and only 45 copies installed (Spiceworks) etc.

They didn't check much as once they saw my system they knew it was done properly. Got commended really well on that - but took me a while to sort out when I first started.

Anyhow, any recommendations I made were only ever verbal - but I had a policy where because I was reponsible if we didn't have licences the school would have a couple of days to buy them, and if they didn't buy them the software came off.

When I first started they had Office 2003 installed everywhere, but only had licenses for Office 2000. The previous tech had upgraded the software thinking he was covered. School weren't happy when a note landed on the heads desk saying "need these, 1500".

8. 2 Thanks to Hightower:

Anglisc (23rd March 2010), Gibson335 (23rd March 2010)

Thank Post
    Has anyone ever been auditted by FMSiS? They are supposed to be coming into our school sometime after the Easter holidays, and one of the things they ask for is proof of regular software audits and to see original licences etc.

I have a similar system to Hightower - physical licences in a folder arranged alphabetically, plus the details inputted onto Spiceworks to check installations against licence numbers. Then I run a report to show any non-compliance and uninstall the software, then re-run the report to show compliance.

Just wondering whether that'll satisfy the FMSiS people?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    I assume so. FMSIS came into my last school and no1 actually asked us anything about the software - was all handled by the business manager who i know for a fact didn't have a clue about licensing (as she was my mother!) i gave them an almost up to date list of hardware and that was about it

Toby

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaphc View Post
    Has anyone ever been auditted by FMSiS?
    I think they are the guys that just audited us. If they are the same they were here for 2.5 days and the closest they got to IT was checking a printer I'd ordered in January was correctly listed on the asset database (it wasn't ). They spent the entire time stressing out our admin team.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have to ask, but why are people inviting BSA and FACT on to their premisis? There are quite a few reasons NOT to do this as they actually have no legal right to enter your premesis without a legal warrant, amd as they get paid to find irregularities you can bet your bottom dollar that you won't besmilingafter an audit.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I have to ask, but why are people inviting BSA and FACT on to their premisis? There are quite a few reasons NOT to do this as they actually have no legal right to enter your premesis without a legal warrant, amd as they get paid to find irregularities you can bet your bottom dollar that you won't besmilingafter an audit.
    Have to agree with you there - I told them to go away in my previous job, and bar a few phonecalls, they did.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I assume so. FMSIS came into my last school and no1 actually asked us anything about the software - was all handled by the business manager who i know for a fact didn't have a clue about licensing (as she was my mother!) i gave them an almost up to date list of hardware and that was about it

Toby
    Sounds like they are not too rigourous on the IT side then .... our office clerk is handling most of the requirements of our FMSiS audit, including the inventory of assests and equipment. I'm just chipping in with Disaster Recovery, software licensing and audits and bits and bobs like that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I think they are the guys that just audited us. If they are the same they were here for 2.5 days and the closest they got to IT was checking a printer I'd ordered in January was correctly listed on the asset database (it wasn't ). They spent the entire time stressing out our admin team.
    Lol ... poor admin team! To be honest, the amount of paperwork they seem to want is amazing ... hopefully by the time the FMSiS people have read all that, they won't have time to answer any questions.

Thank Post
    We're up to the limit on our virus checker license at the moment, so no more laptops are being issued until I get the green light to order some more. That's going to cause issues after Easter when I know there's 2 members of staff starting that I have yet to be formerly told about. Always seems to be the last to find out, apparently I have a cupboard full of laptops so they assume there's ALWAYS going to be spare ones. What they don't reaslise is this cupboard full of laptops contains all the ones that are broken, so old they're useless or are awaiting spare parts.

Ah well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast