Poll: How do you license your OS/Office suites/Servers?

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Licensing Questions Thread, School, select, or Open? Which licensing option do you use? in Technical; Originally Posted by Ric_ The great Mr Fleming has just blogged about licensing options... Microsoft UK Schools : It makes ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    The great Mr Fleming has just blogged about licensing options... Microsoft UK Schools : It makes sense to review the way you buy software ? it might save money
    Anyone would think he had been reading Edugeek

Another good blog article from Mr Fleming

Thank Post
    Currently we use Schools Agreement with AS/HUP, etc which works really well for us
    But RM want us to purchase their RMSelect agreement which seems very costly ( for Windows, for Office, and more for each CAL - all per PC.. - at present Schools Agreement has this all included - for less!

Thank Post
    I am trying to make a decision about this right now!
    We have been licenced under Select with perpetual licences. We now want to move from XP to 7 and 2003 office to 2007/2010 as well as 2008 server and new cals.

The rough cost to buy again under select would be 60K!
    For schools agreement it's around 18K a year.
    The schools agreement is a lovely way to manage the money by having an annual cost and is very attractive for this.

However, we are also considering running a student netbook scheme (1:1 access) and the cost of licencing this under SA is prohibitive as you have to have licence evey computer in your school under SA even if you already have a licence for them.

At the moment i am investigating leasing the cost of a select licence purchase.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Anyone would think he had been reading Edugeek
    As it happens, I hadn't (at that particular time) but I do follow along when I get the chance (not much in the last month, as I've been away from the office for 'conference season' - Harrogate for UCISA, Blackpool for NAACE, and London for the FE Day. Oh, the glamour of travel

Anyway, back to the subject in hand.

If you have got Office 2003 Select licences, and you're considering a School Agreement, then make sure that you mention to your EdLAR the "Upgrade The Desktop" offer, as that may save you some money (at the moment)

As ever, unsure about whether this counts as inappropriate advertising, so I'll stop there. And go on holiday before you all fill up the foreign shores during the Easter hols.

5. Thanks to rayfleming from:

john (27th March 2010)

Thank Post
    To add the Windows licenses to this, adds another 24 per machine, bringing the total to 5,800
    And gives us no future proofing, no work from home agreements.

The School's agreement which covers the CAL's, the Server OS's, and both Windows and Office, including the HUP and WAH + software assurance is 2300 per year.
    Based on those figures you would have to expect to replace every Select licence every 2.5 years or more frequently to make Schools agreeement cheaper. In other words, If you buy Select licences now then unless you plan to upgrade EVERYTHING again before Autumn 2012 then Schools agreement is more expensive for you.

If you then factor in that most new PCs you will buy will come with OEM OS licences, which won't need upgrading in 2.5 years time then under Select it is far cheaper.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by u8dmtm View Post
    Based on those figures you would have to expect to replace every Select licence every 2.5 years or more frequently to make Schools agreeement cheaper. In other words, If you buy Select licences now then unless you plan to upgrade EVERYTHING again before Autumn 2012 then Schools agreement is more expensive for you.
    This is usually the case with Schools Agreement but it's an 'apples and oranges' comparison. As has been mentioned previously, the Schools Agreement gives additional benefits. A closer comparison would be Select with Software Assurance which would then give you many of the Schools Agreement benefits although still not all of them.

Thank Post
    The issue I have with the so called 'Additional Benefits' of Schools Agreement over Select which is rolled out every time a salesman wants you to sign up to Schools Agreement is that they are often a mix of the intangible (such as always having the newest shiniest version) or are arguably outside the remit of the school (such as allowing teachers to use it free at home / very cheap home licencing).

If your aim is to be licence compliant for the lifetime of an MS software title for the least amount of money then I can't see Schools being more cost effective than Select in all but a very few situations. The rest is little more than a smokescreen.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by u8dmtm View Post
    The issue I have with the so called 'Additional Benefits' of Schools Agreement over Select which is rolled out every time a salesman wants you to sign up to Schools Agreement is that they are often a mix of the intangible (such as always having the newest shiniest version) or are arguably outside the remit of the school (such as allowing teachers to use it free at home / very cheap home licencing).

If your aim is to be licence compliant for the lifetime of an MS software title for the least amount of money then I can't see Schools being more cost effective than Select in all but a very few situations. The rest is little more than a smokescreen.
    For us we went for a schools agreement because it's not just about the price. As Ray points out on his blog a set yearly cost is much more preferable to an accountant/business manager than a large random spike in expenditure every x years. For us it also massively simplifies license management.

Being able to say that MS licenses cost us xk per year is much preferred to saying MS licenses may cost us xxk in 3-5 years dependant upon a number of factors. Being able to spread the license costs over multiple years is always nice - after all schools aren't really allowed to roll budgets on from year to year!

Thank Post
    For us we went for a schools agreement because it's not just about the price. As Ray points out on his blog a set yearly cost is much more preferable to an accountant/business manager than a large random spike in expenditure every x years. For us it also massively simplifies license management.

Being able to say that MS licenses cost us xk per year is much preferred to saying MS licenses may cost us xxk in 3-5 years dependant upon a number of factors. Being able to spread the license costs over multiple years is always nice - after all schools aren't really allowed to roll budgets on from year to year!
    Who plans ICT Provision on a 1 year budget though? I disagree that it is a 'random spike' and if by 'spreading the cost' you mean essentially leasing the right to use the software but at a higher total cost of 'ownership' then you may be more accurate. Finally, as you say, schools aren't really allowed to roll budgets on and equally they cannot neccessarily always project their future budgets, especially when rising manpower and fuel costs are taken into consideration. For that reason, and the fact that it is mathematically almost always cheaper to go Select I prefer the certainty that we own the right to have OS's Office etc. until we want/can afford to replace them instead of being trapped in a never ending leasing cycle.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We haven't long looked at this and for us the Schools Agreement worked out more expensive. I think schools came out at around 85k over 6 years (12.4 per year) and Select with SA came out around 61k.

This was based on bulk buying new licences now to bring us up to the Win7/Off'10 level and then buying new Windows and Office licenses + SA with every new PC we purchase after that. The plan being overtime we'll replace enough PC's to reach critical mass and have enough licenses to move up to the next versions.

I think I worked it out to take 6 years for the first upgrade and then every 3 years after that. Assuming new versions are released every 3 years. We'd then always be running 1 Windows/Office version behind current. Which I think is acceptable.

Over 3 years the schools agreement may be cheaper or there may not be a lot in it, but looking longer term I can't see how any of the perceived benefits can be worth the accumalted 20k price difference.

Buy adding new licenese purchases in with new PC purchases we have effectively flattened out our annual expenditure in a similar way to the schools agreement, so no lumpy budget. And I think we end up at around 4-5k per year on going instead of 12k

But this is just one schools example. Other schools will obviously have differet priorities and needs so their figures and which is best for them would obviously be different.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12